Saturday, April 12, 2008

Mango Pudding

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, April 12, 2008

Recipe Ingredients:

Portion A
225ml water
15g gelatin powder
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Portion B
8og pureed mango
75ml full cream milk
180g vanilla ice cream, melted

1) Combine Portion A in a saucepan on low heat and bring to a boil dissolving sugar and gelatin.
2) Cool it till lukewarm and add in Portion B.
3) Mix well until all ice cream is melted in and pour into individual cups
4) Chill it overnight.
5) For serving, run a thin spatula at the sides, deep the cups into warm water and invert.

Note:

This is a good website on how to cube a mango. After cubing, process it in the food processor until you get mango puree. Remember to pass it through a strainer to remove all the fibers (This is a lot of work and hassle really but it gives beautiful outcome!)



Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments on "Mango Pudding"

Aaron Tan on April 13, 2008 at 9:12 PM said...

mango pudding!!! my all time favorite!!! Yummy!

Ida said...

Hi Quinn,

I tried a recipe that calls for the exact same ingredients as yours and failed. I want to try making mango pudding again using your recipe. Before I attempt it, I have a few questions and will be very grateful if you can answer them given your experience.

1) Mango contains bromelain which breaks down gelatin. I suspect that this is the main reason for my failure. Shouldn't one cook mango puree first before adding to the gelatin mix?

2) Is there such a thing as over-stirring or over-mixing gelatin? Does this cause the jelly to break down?

3) My mango puree was pureed to a thick liquid form. It just went through the sieve without leaving any fibre behind (ha ha, was quite worried and used different sieves with medium and small mesh). Does fibre affect the setting process?

4) What are the dos and don'ts when making jelly and puddings using gelatin?

5) Is jelly powder the same as gelatin powder? I used jelly crystals which contained jelly powder and assumed that it was gelatin.

Thanks very much in advance!

Cheers
Ida

Quinn on May 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM said...

Dear Ida,

This recipe is very similar to baking mum's mango pudding which we both talked about through email before. This has been tried and tested many times so there's definately no typo.

First and foremost, thanks for trusting me enough to answer your doubt. Checking this page could be of great help to you:

http://bakingmum.blogspot.com/2006/04/mango-pudding.html

Mango contains bromelain but given a sufficient amount of gelatine in a recipe, it will still bind together. If you think this is a problem, I could recommend you to try recipe of mango pudding that uses no gelatine and that the mango puree is cooked such as this one:

http://kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=1349

what sets it there is the egg. I have personally tried this and I think it is totally different in terms of texture and taste compared to this one. I could firmly tell you that not cooking the mango puree is not the reason why you fail. Also, I would like to refer you to this page which says bromelain is good for health:

http://www.vitalitymagazine.com/fruity_cuisines_of_summer

Gelatine and jelly are totally different things. Gelatine is made of animal product whereas jelly is made from vegetable product. Jelly powder gives you a firm feeling but gelatine gives you a melt-in-the-mouth feeling.

In my experience personally, over stirring gelatine will not cause it to loose its gelling properties. However, overcooking them will.

You should sprinkle the gelatine over some cold water and set it aside for 10mins. Then, bain-marie it along with the remaining water and sugar until all dissolved. I do it the easy way, microwaving it and stir it until cool.

For this recipe, gelatine mixture needs to be cooled down at least till lukewarm before adding it to the mango mixture. If hot gelatine is added to cold mixture, you'll get plenty gelatine patches floating around and it will not dissolve anymore no matter what you do to it. It's really not as complicated as it sounds.

On occasions when I'm lazy, I did not sieve the mango puree and it still came out fine. However, I really think it is more delicious straining them. The smoothness of the pudding when melting in your mouth is just indescribable.

4) What are the dos and don'ts when making jelly and puddings using gelatin?

Answer to that question is jelly and puddings are different as I've mentioned before. There's no particular rules to it but if you're given a recipe, following it to the T shouldn't give you any problem. Once you get the hang of one recipe slowly modify and chnage it according to your preference.

Enough said, I hope you'll try it again. If I did not clarify enough, email me.

Cheers!

Ida said...

Hi Quinn,

Thanks very much for taking time to answer my queries! I'll definitely check out the sites you mentioned. :0)

Cheers
Ida

Quinn on May 21, 2009 at 11:39 PM said...

No worries Ida :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez