For the topping:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 canned pineapple rings, reserve pineapple syrup for batter
For the batter:
1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup pineapple syrup reserved from can
1) Preheat oven to 180°C grease well 2 x 12 holes medium sized muffin pan with canola oil.
2) Drain the pineapple rings and place it on a double layer kitchen towel to drain completely.
3) Place each ring (or trim to fit) into the prepared pan.
4) Place a halved maraschino cherry at the centre.
5) Melt Portion A in a small saucepan over low heat until slightly thickened and well combined.
6) Pour evenly over the 24 muffin pan holes and set aside.
7) Mix Portion B following the sequence as above.
8) Fold in the baking powder and mix again.
9) Fold in plain flour alternatively with the pineapple syrup in 3 parts.
10) Fill up the muffin pan till 1/2 full and bake for 20mins.
11) Cool another 20mins in pan before inverting it out to cool on wire rack.
A little more steps but it's definitely worth the effort!
Tuesday, April 8, 2008