Sunday, April 27, 2008

Rock Melon Sago Dessert

Posted by Quinn at Sunday, April 27, 2008

I went to Dandenong Market yesterday with a couple of friends. You wouldn't believe it, but they sold one big box of over ripe rock melons (15 of them altogether) for 1 Aussie Dollar! I myself couldn't believe it either but hey, it's for real! So, now, we're over loaded with rock melons. Despite giving out for free (Duh! I can't charge people 10cents per melon cuz one melon cost less than that!), we still have 5 left. Hence, I decided to make a refreshing dessert out of rock melons! I adapted the recipe from Precious Moment and made major modifications from there. I used up 3 rock melons for this recipe that serves about 7 people! So, do not do this if you do not have enough rock melons in hand. It tasted delicious and healthy (not very actually, I threw in lotsa ice-cream in there, hehe)


Puree 1 and another half of the rock melons using food processor. I just scoop it out with a spoon, no cuttings required. Then weigh out 700g + 1 1/2 cup of the rock melon puree and place it in a large bowl. I got exactly that amount with 1 + 1/2 rock melons :)

Next, add in 1/2 cup of full cream milk to the puree.

Then, dilute 2 tbsp granulated sugar with 1/2 cup boiling water.
Pour that in the puree and add in 350g of vanilla ice cream.
Stir until all the ice cream melt.
Bring a large pot of water to boil and soak 100g of sago for 10mins.
Drain the water and pour all the sago in the boiling water and cook until turned transparent.
Turn off the heat, and cover the pot and let it stand for 10mins.
Then, run all the sago through cold tap water (Melbourne's got really clean water) and pour all the sago into the mixture.
You might wanna chill the mixture in the fridge while dealing with the sago.
Cubed in the other half rock melon + 1 whole rock melon into the mixture. Chill well before serving.

I don't think you can keep this overnight because I have some complains about it turning bitter the day after. It could be due to the milk content or it could be due to me puree-ing a lil' of the skin of the rock melon as well, I really dunno.

I don't have any problem about keeping it overnight because this disappears pretty quick!

p/s: If you need to serve more or find the dessert too thick or creamy to your liking, cut down on the ice cream to your liking and feel free to add sugar syrup (2 cups of hot water + 1/2 cup castor sugar).

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments on "Rock Melon Sago Dessert"

Ellena on April 28, 2008 at 8:42 PM said...

Wow..this look good.. i love this dessert... can i have some.. :)

Ellena on April 28, 2008 at 8:43 PM said...

Wow.. this look great.. i love this dessert can i have some pls.. :P

Quinn on May 2, 2008 at 2:30 AM said...

Haha, Ellena Mummy, come on....
You cook and bake better than me, what's this compared to all your collections and creativity?
Do give it a try and if you want a recipe of this using less rock melon, I could provide, no worries....

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez