Saturday, May 17, 2008

Bailey's Tim Tam Cheesecake with Tim Tam Truffles

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, May 17, 2008

I love cheesecakes and I love Tim Tam so I was thinking why not have both my favourite in one cake, hence the name Tim Tam Cheesecake. The Bailey's is there to enhance the flavour. I've seen a couple recipes on Tim Tam Cheesecake popping on the Internet but I find them too cheesy for my liking. For me, things like Oreo and Tim Tam, too much cheese will cause it to loose it's flavour. Only things like chocolate or durian should be loaded heavily with cheese in recipes. Hence, I sort of developed a recipe for this Tim Tam Cheesecake. Sad to say, it was nice and all, but not Tim Tam-my enough. The Bailey's flavour is too overpowering. I added a little too much, :( The next time I do this again, I'll not separate the layers like below:

The white layer is plain cheese and Bailey's and the brownish red layer is cheese and coarse Tim Tam blended together.

But it doesn't matter, it tasted really good anyway. I love the cross section of the cake. Each layer look like they've been equally divided. As soon as I tried a slice, I knew the cheesecake is lacking Tim Tam taste. Hence, I made 12 Tim Tam Truffles to down with each slice of cake to bring out the flavour a bit.

Didn't wanna put the truffles on top of the cake because I thought the cake look really picturesque with the white and dark chocolate drizzled on them. With the truffle sitting on it, it look a little odd.

All in all, overall verdict was good so I might make this again if I'm loaded with Tim Tam.


Recipe as follow:

Base:
250g digestive biscuits
150g melted butter (I used 140g because my biscuit was on the dry side)

Finely crush the biscuits with hands or using food processor and mix it with the melted butter to form crumbly mixture. Press this evenly into a 9'' springform pan and chill it whilst you make the filling.

Filling:
250g cream cheese
3 tbsp granulated sugar
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp gelatine powder dissolved in 3 tbsp water*
300ml thickened cream

3 tbsp Bailey's
6 Tim Tam biscuits, crushed (I used Classic Dark Chocolate Flavour)

* What I usually do is i put 2 tbsp water in a shallow small plate and sprinkle gelatine over. Once it blossomed (uusally bout 5mins, I add another tbsp of water and microwaved it on HIGH for 15sec)

1) Beat chilled thickened cream in a chilled bowl until it reaches stiff peak. Then leave it in the fridge.

2) Dissolve the gelatine and keep it warm.

3) With no sequence, beat the rest of the ingredient until it reaches a smooth texture.

4) Fold in the gelatine mixture and divide the mixture into 2 equal portion (I usually weigh my filling)

5)To one portion, add 3 tbsp of Bailey's. To another portion, add in 6 crushed Tim Tam biscuits (I like mine coarsely chopped)

6) Place Tim Tam portion into the chilled pan and chill it in the freezer for 10mins.

7) Take it out and pour the luscious Bailey's mixture over it and chill it in the fridge overnight.


Topping:
Portion A
1.5 ounces white chocolate, melted

1/4 cup thickened cream

Portion B
1.5 ounces dark chocolate, melted
1/4 cup thickened cream

Melt the two portions of chocolate using microwave, stirring every 30sec to avoid burning them. Then, whisk them until all combined. Drizzle them randomly all over the chilled cheesecake. Chill them again before serving.


Tim Tam Truffles (page 186 of May New Woman magazine, with Naomi Watts on the cover)

I halved the recipe and make 12 bite-sized truffles. I rolled them in cocoa powder instead of melted chocolate because I ran out of chocolate.

6 Tim Tam biscuits
125g cream cheese

Finely grind the Tim Tam biscuits using food processor and blend it with the cheese to form a dough. Chill for 30mins. Then, form 12 balls and roll them in cocoa powder

This is very very delicious. My personal thought,USE 60% FAT FREE PHILADELPHIA CREAM CHEESE instead of the block cheese type. The reason is that this cheese is already soft and malleable at room temperature so there's no need to softened whatsoever. It makes the texture easy to work with and taste good equally.

Enjoy!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments on "Bailey's Tim Tam Cheesecake with Tim Tam Truffles"

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez