Saturday, May 24, 2008

Lavender Tiramisu

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, May 24, 2008

Do You Know?

When you type in 'Lavender Tiramisu' into Google search box, my blog pop up within the first page itself! Being the very creative me, I came up with Lavender Tiramisu. Yes, you didn't hear it wrongly. I said Lavender Tiramisu.

Tiramisu means pick me up in Italy. Why am I not surprised on how it got its name because I simply adore Tiramisu. They're the best thing every invented. In fact, I love Tiramisu more than cheesecake, more than anything else. And I love the smell of lavender too. Ever since I got some lavender from my neighbour's garden (and she said it's not sprayed with any pesticide and I could feel free and pick them anytime!), I've always use them in recipes. I made lavender sugar out of them. Gonna make lavender tea cake and lavender cupcakes soon too! Wait till after exam, when I have the time, this blog will be very lavenderish, I assure you!

I don't know how I pop up with the idea of Lavender Tiramisu but the taste is simple divine. Note that the recipe I'm about to gave you can be made omitting lavender and it will taste equally good.

I made a no-bake version and I used gelatine, whipped to stiff peak thickened cream and EGGS to set it. I myself personally dislike the thoughts of eating raw eggs in my desserts. Yes, it makes the whole thing much more creamier. Thanks, but no thanks.

However, in this recipe that I proudly call my own, successful one, I used them and gently cook them. Using eggs really does make a whole lot of difference in the cake. The cake sets nicely. The luscious mascarpone filling is creamy and sinfully rich.

You could see from the picture there's definitely more filling that savoiardi base but I like mine rich. You could easily use one and another half pack to make a three layer tall Tiramisu. But then, if you were to do this, please use at least a 10'' springform pan. I used my 9'' pan with 2 layers of savoiardi biscuits and 2 layers of mascarpone filling, that one itself already come up to the top of the pan after dusting it with cacao.

I love the messiness. I love how the inner of the Tiramisu look after being slice up. I love how the faint lilac lavender tingle my tastebud. It's not very faint actually but gets more faint each passing day. The Bailey's and the coffee overpowers it the following day and the day after.... :(

It's not very heavy nor filling, for a slice of this Lavender Tiramisu is the perfect ultimatum for a after meal dessert.

I love the look of a slice of the Lavender Tiramisu. They just look so good from any angles. I especially love the creamy mascarpone layer. Don't they look beautiful. I'm in love with it!

Okay, here comes the recipe:

The savoiardi biscuit layer:
One pack of savoiardi biscuits, 250g (I used 22 ladyfingers)
1 cups strongly brewed black coffee
¼ cup Bailey’s
5 sprigs of fresh lavender


Brew coffee according to instruction on packing and add in 5 sprigs lavender while brewing.


Stir to dissolve all coffee powder and cover for 30mins to let steep while you make the filling.


Set aside.


For the luscious Mascarpone filling:
250g Mascarpone Cheese
1 ¼ cup thickened cream (300ml), whipped and leave in fridge.
1/3 cup lavender sugar (75g)
3 eggs, separated
A pinch of salt
¼ tsp of white vinegar
40ml Bailey’s
10g gelatine in 2 tbsp water (one tbsp water with 10g gelatine for blooming, then add another tbsp of water before popping into microwave on high for 15seconds.)


Beat egg yolks and lavender sugar ala bain-marie over simmering water.

Once mixture reaches ribbon stage (all sugar would have dissolved by now), remove from heat and let cool a little.


Follow-up by adding the mascarpone, mixing gently until just combined.


Stir in the Bailey’s now.


Then, stir in the gelatine mixture at this point (should be lukewarm) and stir to combine.


Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt on medium speed for about 2mins with electric beaters.
Add in the vinegar and beat on high speed for another 2 mins until it reaches stiff peak.


Gently fold in the whipped cream.


Finally, fold in the egg white mixture into the mascarpone mixture and fold into submission.



Assembling the cake:


Discard the lavender sprigs from the black coffee. The coffee would have been chilled by now.


Pour the Bailey's into the coffee mixture. Stir well and pour the mixture into a shallow pan.


Dip one ladyfinger into the coffee mixture and arrange it into the round springform pan. Do this repetitively until you cover the base of a 9 inch round springform pan.


Then, cover the ladyfingers layer with half the mascarpone mixture. Generously sift the surface with cocoa powder.


Repeat with the next layer. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight. Dust generously with high quality cacao and serve.




My personal note:

Please dip the savoiardi biscuits one by one into the coffee mixture. Eg. Dip one biscuit into coffee mixture and line the pan with it. Then proceed on until you fully line the base (this will form your first base layer). Reason is that you do not know how porous and absorbent your savoiardi biscuits could be. Having said that, really savoiardi biscuits vary from one brand to another. I don’t know about you all, but I’m not interested in making a tiramisu soup here.


Try using ladyfingers with no sugar coating on top of it otherwise the coffee mixture cannot be absorbed in evenly. I have that problem here. Not too big of a problem actually but I'm left with a lot of coffee mixture in the end!


I line the sides of my springform pan with parchment paper and lightly grease it to make it stick to the pan. The next day, I remove it from the fridge; unlatch the pan onto a serving plate and remove the parchment paper. This gives me beautiful sides. No need to run any thin knife along the sides. I run a thin knife for my previous cheesecake recipe using springform pan but somehow the outcome is always a little ugly (am I using the right word?). But with parchment lined sides, I have a flawless cake.


Using raw eggs in cooking to me could portray risk (risks of being infected with salmonella) hence; I whipped it over bain-marie to kill whatever germs or disease that could follow-up. However, if you fear not, go ahead and just whip the yolks and sugar in a large bowl and proceed with the rest of the steps.


Pick Me Up!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments on "Lavender Tiramisu"

Jessie on May 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM said...

Wah, you can really bake! A big salute to you!

Quinn on May 30, 2008 at 11:06 AM said...

Thanks Jessie!
I do frequent your blog too long time before. And I just love all the kid's bento and the photographs you took! They all look so real and picturesque!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez