Saturday, May 31, 2008

Muddy Ice-Cream Cake

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, May 31, 2008

Okay, let me clarify, this contains no ice-cream but it feels like ice-cream when it's melting in the mouth. I originally plan to do chocolate mud cake just like the one in Secret Recipe and I found a pretty good recipe on chocolate Banana Cake ala Secret Recipe from Pearlyn's blog.

The moment I saw her recipe, I thought to myself, hey! I can twist the recipe a little. Change the white chocolate to dark chocolate and omit the bananas, I'll have my chocolate mud cake! And then do a little simple piping like the one I did in Steamed Chocolate Cake, wouldn't it look exactly like the one from Secret Recipe!

I got so excited and all only to realize I did not have enough cream for the recipe. What a nuisance!

Anyway, I used the cake filling recipe and tweak it a little and use another chocolate mud cake recipe for the cake because I hate and I don't know how to slice a cake properly. Hence, I'll prefer to bake 2 small cakes and sandwiched them together with the filling.

I so need to improve in my decorating skills. The cake looks like a big blob of mud!

I know it's ugly but who cares. It's delicious but let me warn you, this is very filling!


Look at my layering, isn't it ugly? I need a good serratd knife ro trim the cake before layering because i used an 8 inch round pan with \_/ bottom, not |_| .I happen to found a recipe from a long lost cookbook, Fannie is the author's name if I've remembered it correctly. they specifically ask for \_/ type of pan so off I go baking away!

Here comes the recipe!

A keeper chocolate mud cake (makes 2-small 8’’ round cake with \_/ type of pan)


Ingredient A

200g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa content
¾ cup canola oil
1 ½ cup strongly brewed coffee


Ingredient B
2 extra large egss
5 tbsp full cream milk
1 tsp vanilla extract


Ingredient C
1 2/3 cup white sugar + A pinch of salt
195g plain flour
38g cornflour
1 tsp baking soda




Melt together (A) over double boiler until all chocolates are melted. Cool with water bath.


Mix together (B) and pour into cooled (A) and mix briefly.


Sift together all the dry powder (plain flour, baking soda, cornflour) and combined it with the sugar.


Add all the dry ingredients into wet ingredients in 3 parts until evenly mix.


Now, STRAIN THE BATTER into 2 same sized bowl with a help of a metal spoon to get things strained quickly. (Batter is rather thin so this one didn’t took me long).


Then, LEAVE THE BATTER ON THE KITCHEN TABLE CLING WRAPPED for an hour before baking. (I think this is for the baking soda to react with some other ingredient in the cake, like making beehive cake)


Bake this two portion into 2-8 inch round pan of \_/ type , NOT |_| type!


Bake this in a greased well and parchment-lined bottom pan for 135°C (the temperature is correct) for 60mins to 75mins (I need exactly 70mins for the cake to be done).


Chill both pieces of cake in the fridge.


For the cake filling:

Melt 400g milk chocolates with 600ml thickened cream ala Bain-Marie.

Once all melted, transfer to a large mixing bowl and keep it in the fridge.


Assembling:

With a hand held mixer, whipped the cake filling at high speed for about five minutes until doubled up in volume.

Then, fold in 100g of shaved dark chocolates in it (give it the muddy look!)

Place one slice of cake on a serving plate and generously spread the filling all over it.

Then place another slice on it and repeat the process. Cream the sides and all until all fillings are used up.

Chill well before serving.


There you have your very muddy mud cake that taste like ice cream, yummy!!!!

I'm off to get myself a thin slice now!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments on "Muddy Ice-Cream Cake"

Ellena on June 12, 2008 at 11:04 AM said...

Don't worry Quinn... practice makes perfect...:p I am also not good at smoothing the cream.... :)

Quinn on June 12, 2008 at 11:45 AM said...

Thanks Ellena! Really ugly but the taste was heaven. Everyone like it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez