Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sweet Potato Ondeh Ondeh

Posted by Quinn at Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Made some of these little delicacies last night with both of my house mates. They were so delicious but I accidentally burnt my tongue when I popped one in my mouth while it was still piping hot! One or two of them leaked cuz we were trying to stuff as much gula melaka in as possible!

You wouldn't believe how simple the ingredients were. I adapted the recipe from Cafe of the East

Here it is below:

250g sweet potato, peeled, washed, cubed and steamed for 40mins
150g of glutinous rice flour
3 tablespoon of water (vary accordingly)

Mix the above ingredients above to form a beautiful orange dough like in the picture. It looks much more orangey in reality. Picture does no justice to it.

I used about 100g of gula melaka (palm sugar) and grate them with a knife. Then I form them into equivalent size. I made 22 sugar lumps in total.

Then, I form 22 equivalent dough sized, roughly about the size of a marble (maybe a little larger) and fill them in with the sugar lump. Then, I pinched and roll them back into rounds just like below:

Should any sugar lumps disintegrate, quickly wet that surrounding leaking area with a little water and dab the ball into glutinous rice flour again. Then, roll again as per normal.

You could see some balls are smaller and some balls ar larger than others.

But in the end, we got about 22 balls, almost all equal in size! :) Some are fairer than others because they leaked and had to be rolled in glutinous rice flour again.

Just put them in boiling water until they float to the surface. Mine took about 4mins. Then I let it float for another 1min to make sure the fillings are all melted.

I then rolled them in dessicated coconut upon serving. If you could get freshly grated coconut, that would be even better.

I think they look very beautiful...

Further up close shot of the ondeh ondeh. They are very picturesque indeed!


Enjoy!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments on "Sweet Potato Ondeh Ondeh"

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez