Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake

Posted by Quinn at Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Made half of this recipe yesterday. This recipe is originally from Delia (dunno who's that but thanks a lot, your name's been mentioned in so many blogs!). Thanks to thelazychef for posting the recipe. I baked this for a friend of mine. Supposingly should be meeting her today but I was too busy to make it to the city and hence, she came over to collect it. I do hope she like it. I used canola oil instead of butter to obtain a more moist an fluffy cake.

It was rather simple. I have in a large bowl:



2 large eggs, beaten
200ml of evaporated milk
187g of canola oil
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 tso of vanilla essence

In another bowl, I have:



110g of plain flour
60g of cocoa powder
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda

I mixed and sift the dry ingredient together and stir that into the wet ingredient (well mixed before hand of course!). I also added 2 tbsp of milk to the batter before baking because everyone seemed to be getting runny bater except for me. Probably cuz I pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients rather than what other blogs have done (They poured wet ingredients into dry ingredients).



Then I pour this into a 9 inch springform pan, base and sides lined, outer part wrapped in a layer of cling wrap and a layer of aluminium foil to prevent water from seeping in or batter from seeping out! I then cover the top surface of the batter lightly with a piece of aluminium foil before covering it with the wok lid. This is to prevent water from the lid from dropping back into the batter.

I steamed it on medium heat for 45mins.

I did not use the chocolate topping recommended as I prefer a chocolate fudge topping that will set rather than a sauce-like one. I used the chocolate topping from my other steam chocolate cake recipe. It was a favourite because it uses no cream (something I not always have in my kitchen).

Then, I decided to give it a spiral pattern. I was rather busy though but my friend, she likes seeing those spiral pattern you know so I decided to do a quick one. Pardon me if it turns out ugly. Just in case anyone wanna know, this is how I do it.

I melt some white chocolates and put it in a baking paper to form a piping bag

Then I pipe spiral shape in a form of concentric circles from centre outwards.

I keep drawing many round lines. Doesn't really matter if they overlap each other slighlty.

When we think we have enough lines, we stopped piping and using a toothpick and a wet cloth, draw 4 lines inwards from the outermost circles towards centre.

That's first line drawn. Repeat another 3 times until you get this:


Not quite done yet. Next, we draw another 4 lines from centre outwards. Draw these 4 lines in between each two inwards lines.

Repeat until 4 lines finishes and there you go your final product!


Chill it well before unmoulding. I do hope my friends will like it.

That's it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments on "Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake"

.:y a n a h a s h i m:. on November 29, 2008 at 5:29 PM said...

hi quin,

nice blog.. i love it soo much.. can u tell me how to melt the white chocolate which u use to pipe it on the cake...

cheers
yana

Quinn on December 2, 2008 at 7:20 PM said...

Dear Yana,

Thanks for visiting this humble blog of mine.

Melting white chocolate could sometimes be a lil' tricky and different brands will melt differently due to the amount of fat content in it and also due to the fact that white chocolates are not true chocolates.

I usually do it in a microwave. But I know my microwave well and experience tells me if I were to zap it in the microwave for a minute on high, the white chocolate would survive without any burn.

If you dunno your microwave well, your best bet is to melt a small amount at a time - no more than 250g preferably (you don't wanna ruin all of them do you?) and check frequently, every 2 minutes or so.

Beware, it might retain its shape even though it has significantly melted so stir or at least prod it with a spoon every time you check. My microwave melts my chocolate but always retain its shape.

Once all melted, I just make a piping bag out of baking paper and snip a small opening at the end.

Use as you please!

Welcome and I hope I'm of some help :)

See you Yana.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez