Friday, August 8, 2008

Jeanne Ray : Eat Cake

Posted by Quinn at Friday, August 08, 2008

From the best author of Julie and Romeo, she surprised us again with yet another really good book. This has been around for a good few years I think but I never bother to completely finish it off until like last December.

Eat cake, read it, savour it....

One of my favourite paragraph and I believe everyone would love it to:

" ....when i finally closed my eyes and tried, what I wanted came to me with complete clarity. The place that I went, the place that I still go, was the warm, hollowed-out center of a Bundt cake. It is usually gingerbread, though sometimes that changes. Sometimes it's gingerbread crowned in a ring of poached pears. The walls that surround me are high and soft, but as they go up they curve back, open up to the light, so I feel protected by the cake but never trapped by it. There are a few loose crumbs around my feet, clnging to my hair, and the smell! The ginger and butter the lingering subtlety of vanilla... I press my cheek against the cake, which is soft as eiderdown and still warm.
.......Cakes have gotten a bad rap. People equate virtue with turning down dessert.
There is always one person at the table who holds up her hand when i serve cake.
No, really, I couldnt, she says and then gives her flat stomach a conspiratorial little pat. Everyone who is pressing a fork into that first tender layer looks at the person who declined the plate, and they all think, That person is better than I am. That person is discipline. but that isn't a person with discipline, that is a person who has completely lost touch with joy. A slice of cake never made anybody fat. You dont eat the whole cake. You dont eat a cake everyday of your life. You take the cake when it is offered because the cake is delicious. You have a slice of cake and what it reminds you of is someplace thats safe,uncomplicated, without stress. A cake is a party, a birthday, a wedding. A cake is what's served on the happiest days of your life. "... Jeanne Ray

No one describes cake half as good as her. When we come to cake, we use word like luscious, moist, fluffy and all but she's just unique.

A cake plays a part in everything occasion. Birthday, wedding, baby shower, you name it.

A quote from somewhere I don't remember:

A cake is what's served on the happiest days of your life.

Couldn't agree more.


Quinn

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments on "Jeanne Ray : Eat Cake"

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez