Monday, August 11, 2008

Steam Banana Muffins

Posted by Quinn at Monday, August 11, 2008

I finally made Amanda's steam banana muffins. She received huge compliments for this that I couldn't resist myself from trying. I halved her recipe and made 6 medium sized muffins with it for tea break. It finished so quickly!

Even after adding a little more bananas, it still remain so fluffy and soft.

It looked so good and I love it cuz it's got no brown surface like those we baked. It's white and and you could see the banana fibre all over the muffins surface.

This is how much I've made. Definitely not enough to go around.

I especially love how the top of each domed muffin look. I think they're very beautiful.

Enjoy!

Portion A (beat with fork until reaches ribbony stage)
1 egg
40g sugar

Then, fold in:
1 ripe banana, mashed well (mine was 136gm instead of 100gm)

Followed by:

Portion C (mix and sifted)
75g self raising flour
Just a pinch of baking soda

Lastly, add in: 35g sunflower oil

Blend into submission and steam on HIGH HEAT, 15MINS.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments on "Steam Banana Muffins"

Flirting with flour on January 18, 2010 at 3:25 PM said...

I have always wanted to make steamed banana cake or cupcakes/muffins but I dont quite understand the steaming process. Do you set the pan in a larger pan of water with the top on? I cant seem to find any blog with specific directions. Would you mind letting me know.. I'm always trying to find ways to use up brown bananas

Quinn on January 19, 2010 at 2:04 AM said...

Chantal: You can do this two way. First is to get a steamer pot. Mine look like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/seadragon88/2008/steamer_pot.jpg

The top pot has holes to allow steam to come up from the hot water from the bottom pot. The top pot is not touching the water. It fits snuggly.

I kinda figure you might not have this so here comes the second way. Grab your largest pot (with a heavy glass lid) and fill it up with water 1/3 full. Place a steamer rack in the pot and bring the water to boil. Place the muffins on the rack and steam away!

p/s: If you don't have a steaming rack, place a cloth in the water and an upside down bowl on top. The cloth should give the bowl enough friction for it to slip. Then place all the muffins in a plate and place it on the pot.

I hope I didn't complicate things for you. Let me know if you need a picture. I'll snap one for you tomorrow!

Flirting with flour on January 20, 2010 at 12:42 AM said...

Thank you so much for your quick response. It definitely clarified things! Now I just have to wait until I can get my hands on some brown bananas : ) I'll let you know how it goes!

Quinn on January 20, 2010 at 1:23 AM said...

Alrighty, looking forward!

Flirting with Flour on March 22, 2010 at 8:21 AM said...

Quinn, I'm still waiting on bananas but I thought you might be interested in stopping by my blog soon - I have an award waiting for you :)

Quinn on March 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM said...

Chantal: Awwww.....that's so sweet of you to gave me so many awards. I love you and thanks for thinking I deserve these! I know sometimes how baking or rather steaming works. It's no fun to grab bananas and purposely age it for the sake of the muffins. Your roomies will soon get fed up of bananas. Be patient!

Flirting with Flour on April 9, 2010 at 4:36 AM said...

Guess who FINALLY got some good black bananas!?! They are steaming at the moment and look fantastic. I'm so excited! I'm just in between classes so I don't have much time but I saved one banana which I will use to make another batch and snap some pictures!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez