Monday, September 22, 2008

Warm Molten Lava Cake

Posted by Quinn at Monday, September 22, 2008

This one, it's been on my to-do-list for a long long time. I still remember the first time I made this, I used a recipe which calls for underbaking the cake. So, you're actually really eating the batter itself, which actually explains the low content of flour called in the recipe so you don't feel the floury aftertaste when you eat the batter. Also, if you're one who minds eating raw eggs, underbaked lava cake is so not for you.


Compared to the first time I made this, this one was way way better that my previous attempt. Apart from using a whole new recipe, I also did not overbaked this. Not that I overbaked the previous one. I dunno is it just me or anybody else, if I do follow a recipe of lava cake exactly, including temperature and baking time, I always end up with overbaked cakes. No lava oozing out....


This one however prevented that from happening. Even if you overbaked it a little, you still have luscious chocolate flowing out from the centre. I also baked this in a cupcake liner. The liner peels off easily when i directly flipped the cupcake onto the serving plate.

I used Hershey's milk chocolate for the lava. They are rich and milky and not too bitter. For the cake, I used rich dark chocolate. Note that I totally forgotten the sugar called for in this recipe and yet it's still a little too sweet to my liking.


I can't help but admire the oozing lava from the cupcake. The lava cake itself is so tiny yet rich and totally infused with chocolate. Not cocoa powder but real chocolates. With a dust of icing sugar on them, it eases the bitterness a little and adds on to the aesthetics.


I got the recipe from Culinary-Yours however I've modified the proportion to suit my liking and my number of guests. These make 6 little lava cakes, each the size of a medium size muffin. I bake them in my 6-holes muffin, lined with cupcake liners. I then flipped all onto an aluminium foil and use a spatula and carefully place them onto serving plate. I then dust them with sifted icing sugar mixture and serve straight.

Start off by making the filling.

40g your favourite chocolates
30g heavy cream
1/2 tsp butter

Mix all the above in a pan and melt via Bain-Marie method.
Cool it and whisk until thick.
Simply form 6 balls and pop it into the freezer until ready to use. (I'll try use the ice cube tray, lind with cling wrap next time for consistency)

135g dark chocolate
76g butter

1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 egg yolks

22g cake flour
3 egg whites + 2 1/2 tbsp white sugar

Preheat oven to 190°C and line 6 medium size muffin holes with cupcake liners.

Melt the dark chocolates and butter via the Bain-Marie method, taking care not to burn the chocolates.

Cool slightly and add the vanilla and yolks into the chocolate mixture and whisk into submission.

Gently incorporate the cake flour until you see no streaks of white flour in the chocolate batter.

With the aid of an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites with sugar to form meringue-like texture.

Fold the whites into the chocolate mixture in 2 parts, i.e. a little to loosen up the chocolate batter and the rest all in until you get a uniform batter.

Fill to almost brim of each holes.

Take the ganache out from the freezer and gently push each into each holes. In my case, I only managed to form 5 truffles so I one of the lil' cake was not filled. It doesn't matter because I was expecting 5 guests and no one complains having a tad too much filling in their lava cake!

Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 15mins.

Serve right out of the oven.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments on "Warm Molten Lava Cake"

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez