Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Honeydew Mochi

Posted by Quinn at Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I did these little mochi using the recipe from Florence. Instead of mango, I used honeydew balls instead. I am a little disappointed. There's nothing wrong with her recipe. It's just that I did so many substitutions and used sucky fruits and it made the whole thing turned a lil' head-wired.
I used only evaporated milk in the skin instead of using any honeydew juice or mango nectar.

Also, my honeydew was too soft so I kinda fiddle a lil' with wrapping. It's not that I couldn't wrap them like the many problems faced by other bloggers. I could wrap them up really nice with guidance from a video posted by Irene Chan Wai on YouTube. She taught me to use plastic gloves and how to do a beautiful mochi skin.

It's just that my honeydew is too soft for wrapping. By the time I realise that, it was a lil' too late cuz I've made the skin and I do not have any other fruits left in the house.

I'm so gonna try this with durian filling and tell you guys how it goes. I've no idea yet how I could wrap the durian flesh in nicely but I promise I will give it a second thought.

This yield 15 balls for me:


Prepare and chill in fridge:

16 honeydew balls (I used a melon baller to do this)
Dessicated coconut for coating

In a large bowl, sieve together:

150g glutinous rice flour
30g rice flour
1/2 tbsp santan powder

Add in 1/2 tbsp corn oil and stir to mix.

In another bowl, combine together:

100ml hot water + 2 tbsp sugar (dissolve this together)
1/3 cup (80 ml) evaporated milk

Stir wet mixture into flour mixture and mix to combine.

Lastly, stir in:

1/2 cup (120ml) honeydew juice
2 drops of Midori (this is melon liqueur and could be omitted)

Strain to avoid lumps.
Pour batter into a greased shallow plate and steam on high heat for 30 minutes.
Remove from steamer and stir the cooked dough with a flat plastic knife till it is smooth.
Leave aside to cool.
Wearing a pair of plastic gloves, wrap in one honeydew ball in each skin. (I weigh my dough)
Coat with dessicated coconut and chill well before serving.


Till then, that's it for now.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments on "Honeydew Mochi"

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez