Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Caterpillar Bun

Posted by Quinn at Tuesday, January 20, 2009


I recently got several cookbooks from my lovely sisters as birthday presents. How sweet of them! In a book written by Agnes Chang called ' I Can Bake', she uses one basic sweet dough and makes variation from there on.


This recipe is not within her book but nevertheless, I've adapted the sweet basic dough and divided each dough into 70g. From there on, I adapted the recipe of caterpillar bread by Novice-Baker and followed the folding, cutting and baking to the T.



I personally dislike sausages and have saved some sweet basic bun dough and divided them into 60g each. I wrapped in crab sticks in these and fold and twist as per the caterpillar bun.


They look more like mini pizza as I've generously sprinkled cheese and mixed vegetables on top of the bun.

I also egg-washed them, drizzle ketchup and mayo in zig-zag pattern.


The end product looked so inviting. Any sweet basic dough could be used.

I dunno bout yo, but I had fun while making these savoury bread!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments on "Caterpillar Bun"

gaL said...

hi, its me again. =)

Mind sharing the recipe for this caterpillar bread?

Quinn on June 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM said...

Hi Gal, I've used a normal sweet bun recipe. Try this:

http://novice-baker.blogspot.com/2008/04/for-sack-of-nostalgia-recipe-of.html


AND


http://novice-baker.blogspot.com/2008/02/pork-floss-buns-for-home-sick.html

Good luck!

gaL said...

hi Quinn. Thanks for the recipe ( credits to the original owner too ;)) Btw, I've tried it today and the only problem that i have is that the dough is still a little bit sticky even after its proofing time. Should it be like that or my dough is too soft?

Quinn on June 30, 2009 at 10:13 PM said...

Hi Gal!

Glad you tried it and like it. Thanks the original recipe owner, not me, haha!

It's not supposed to be soft and sticky. It's supposed to be elastic, satiny looking and not sticky. You probably added too much water.

Do not add all the water content called for at one go. Add slowly until all the flour binds together and then stop adding. Sometimes you might add more or add less depending on your flour absorption towards water.

If all else fail, try this recipe here by Pooks. It's totally awesome and lovely. Very store bought and the dough stay soft for another day :)

http://dailydelicious.blogspot.com/2008/06/sausage-cheese-rolls-with-hand-knead.html

gaL said...

hey Quinn. Thank you so much for all your help. Will try again, hopefully soon. :)

have a nice day

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez