Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Flaky Egg Tart

Posted by Quinn at Wednesday, January 21, 2009


It took me forever to write a blog post. I'm not lazy, nor am I running out of idea. I have plenty waiting for me to write up. But narrating needs the right ambiance, the right feel and the time to do it for a fussy-pot like me.


Dim sum sized egg tarts are always known to be flaky and cute but not when you only have limited moulds. I've only got 6 mini moulds and it took me 2 rounds to finish baking it. In fact, I yield more than the recipe mentioned.

I'm gonna start off by telling you all I've adapted the egg tart recipe from YumYum Magazine
and scaled down the recipe to make 12 dim sum sized egg tarts. I love how my natural looking yellow custard turned out to be like below:

The key is to sieve it twice and try not to create any bubbles within the filling.

After chilling the dough for 20mins in the fridge so it is easier to work with.

Wrap dough A with dough B. Dough A is the larger yellowish one. Here, I made slight variation to the original recipe. I once read somewhere that Dough A is formed into a ball and then an 'X' pattern is pressed on it and Dough A is then rolled out to obtain the pattern as above. Dough B should be shaped to roughly form a square.

Pinch to seal each and every corner so that only Dough A is visibly by naked eyes and that Dough B is fully hidden within Dough A.

With the aid of the rolling pin, firmly press down all over the surface of the dough, taking care not to leak any Dough B out from Dough A.

Fold dough 3 times (make 2 folds like an envelope) and pinch to seal and form back into a rough rectangle shape again.

With aid of the rolling pin again, press out the dough to get an even rectangle shape.

Not shown in picture: make another one fold, pinch to seal and press out with rolling pin and that's it!


Chill the dough for 30mins in the fridge and roll out the dough to 1/4 inches thick. Here, I did not bother to chill the dough again for 20mins as Australia weather was pretty cooling on the particular day I was making the egg tarts.

Roughly cut out adequate rounds of dough and press it into tart moulds. Fill up with custard filling bout 80% full and I bake it as below:

Put the egg tarts into the oven and turn the oven temperature down to 200°C. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn the oven temperature down to 180°C and bake a further 10 minutes, or until golden brown.


Serve warm!

Updated : 20 May 2009

Due to overwhelming emails requesting this recipe in my inbox, I suggest why not I put up the recipe here. All I did was cutting down the recipe to make 12mini tarts. The original recipe is still here (it's clickable!)

Here goes the recipe:

SKIN A:

110g of plain flour (1 cup)
10g of custard powder (2 tsp)
1 tbsp of beaten egg (my measuring spoon is 1 tbsp = 15ml)
28g of margarine (about 2 tbsp and I use lard here)
45ml of water (3 tbsp)

SKIN B:

90g plain flour
60g shortening (approximately 4 tbsp and here and again, I use lard)


FILLING:

95ml of hot water (1/4 cup + 3 tbsp)
60g sugar (I use 4 1/2 tbsp), dissolved in hot water above and left too cool completely
2 small eggs
25ml of evaporated milk (1 tbsp + 2 tsp)
A few drop of vanilla (I removed this and added in 1 tsp of rum because according to Aunty Yochana, rum essence can remove the eggy taste from the filling)


The steps are the same as mentioned. But I did not beat the eggs in the filling as called for. I stir it lightly with a chopstick and pass it through a strainer twice. I then leave it aside until needed.

The water-sugar syrup must also be left to cool before mixing with egg, milk and rum as the hot syrup might cook the egg. Then you'll get scrambled egg and won't get a yellowy filling!

I roll the skin as what I've showed in the picture. I've seen this way of rolling somewhere and it indeed produces a thousand layer more quickly. Always remember to dust your table top .

The SKIN B tends to be very sticky. What I do is, I mix it with my hand in a bowl until it is well mixed. Then, I scrapped off leftovers stuck on my hand with a plastic spatula onto a large square cling film and pour the rest of them from the bowl onto the cling film. I then simply wrap it up and sorta from a square and leave it in the fridge to chill.

That's about it and I hope this information helps. Happy trying and Enjoy Baking!



Truly yours,
Quinn


Stumble Upon Toolbar

32 comments on "Flaky Egg Tart"

(( K@Y )) on January 22, 2009 at 3:19 AM said...

Looks so yummy.
I am going to save this and try making them.
Thanks for sharing.

Quinn on January 22, 2009 at 11:17 PM said...

You really should try this! Very very yummy! Thanks for visiting and welcome to the blog!

arashigoldenboy on February 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM said...

Hi

I really love how your egg tarts look like! I tried looking at the recipe for this egg tart but it seems like it's going to be serve to a lot of people. Could you please email me the amount of each ingredient to me?

email: arashigoldenboy@gmail.com

Thank you in advance!

Quinn on February 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM said...

Hi ArashiGoldenBoy,

Already sent an email explaining things. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Quinn

jeanne39 on April 16, 2009 at 5:29 PM said...

Hi Quinn,
First of, I would like to thank you so much for sharing this. I love these, and I've been looking for a long time in how to make these but could not find a recipe that would teach how to make them like those in dimsum. So I'm just wondering if you would also send me the recipe. My email is akachantoboku3@yahoo.com. Thank you so much!

Quinn on April 16, 2009 at 11:06 PM said...

Hey Jeanne,

Already sent you the recipe accordingly. I would advise you make a large batch of the skin and freeze it like what I do so you can have flaky egg tarts whenever you have cravings.

Enjoy!

jeanne39 on April 17, 2009 at 6:15 AM said...

Hi Quinn,

I just wanted to say thank you so very much for sending me the recipe. I will definitely try making it this weekend when I go home. My brothers will be so happy. Thanks again! :)

Quinn on April 17, 2009 at 10:50 AM said...

You're welcome Jeanne and I really hope you enjoy the recipe I sent you. cheers!

Anonymous said...

looks like a great recipe, been searching for the flaky dough, can you send me the recipe to green9806@hotmail.com...thank you!

Quinn on May 8, 2009 at 1:12 AM said...

Anonymous,
Already sent to your email!

panda on May 14, 2009 at 3:23 PM said...

Hi Quinn,

Thank you for having this website and for sharing your love for baking! I have been looking for a good recipe for the egg tart. Would you please send me the recipe with the amount for each ingredient?

My e-mail address is brendaslee@yahoo.com.

Thanks so much!

Quinn on May 14, 2009 at 11:28 PM said...

Dear Brenda,
Just sent it to your email!
Have fun!

michelle said...

mmm looks absolutely delicious. i'm dying to make them at home. can you send me the recipe?

fruitybo0ty@hotmail.com

thanks!!

Quinn on May 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM said...

Hi Michelle,
Done!

Anonymous said...

Hi Quinn

Can you send this recipe to me as well. I really like this.

My email address is babyhoney84@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Regards...May

adeline said...

hi

sry im a bit confused.
u mentioned wrap dough A with dough B. does it means tt dough B is the one being wrapped inside? and dough A is the outer side?

Quinn on September 10, 2009 at 10:47 PM said...

Yes Adeline,

Dough B is inside dough A.

Cheryl on September 23, 2009 at 12:41 AM said...

Hi Quinn,

I tried making the egg tarts but the tart base was a little tough to bite through (i.e. it wasn't crumbly or flaky) and it was soggy... Would you know how I can rectify this?

Quinn on September 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM said...

Cheryl,

If you did not substitute anything at all for the pastry ingredients, roll it out exactly as I did, you will get a flaky and crumbly pastry.

Did your Dough A and Dough B got mixed together or leaked out when you roll? You have to be gentle. Chill them if you think you handle them too much. It's the layering that gives them the flakiness.

If you have done all that, the only reason I could think of is that you have over baked your pastry in the oven.

How does the filling look like when you remove it from the oven? Did it balloon up or was it smooth and still a little wobbly?

Don't give up and try again, after all, this one only makes 12. Once you have success, you will make more.

Cheers!

Minh said...

Hi Quinn! I found your blog today when I Google's "flaky egg tart."
I would really like to try this but....I don't really like to use shortening. I can substitute that for butter and still get a flakey crust right? Before I found your blog I liked to use puff pastry sheets, but they're not dense enough for me and a bit hard to control to keep a good shape. Great blog!

Quinn on May 2, 2010 at 4:20 PM said...

Minh,

Thanks for checking me out! You can use lard in place, I really wouldn't recommend butter if you want a very flaky and obvious layer tart. If you use puff pastry, make sure you get the good and expensive ones that says 'all butter puff pastry' because they are way way more top notch in quality! Try lard and butter as your last resort.

Jintana on April 14, 2011 at 3:22 AM said...

Hi Quinn,

Thank you for the recipe. Can I omit custard powder. I do not have it. What is the purpose of using it?

Quinn on April 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM said...

Jintana, you can substitute it with cornflour if you like. Do not omit. I do not know why it is there for but baking is about science and not like cooking. Omitting it will yield different texture, I'm pretty sure.

Anonymous said...

Hi your recipe is interesting,I was just wondering if using oil/butter instead of lard or shortening helps.

Quinn on May 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM said...

Anonymous: Lard/shortening would yield a way flakier pastry crust compared to oil/butter but substituting it would be fine still.

Fancy said...

"28g of margarine (about 2 tbsp and I use lard here)

60g shortening (approximately 4 tbsp and here and again, I use lard)"

Are you saying.. instead of using margarine or shortening, you used lard? Or did you add lard to the margarine and shortening?

Quinn on June 7, 2011 at 11:24 AM said...

Fancy,

Instead of using margarine or shortening,I used lard.

ji_ji on August 5, 2011 at 9:20 PM said...

Dear Quinn,
I really love your recipe and trying to do some follow your instruction.And I just have one question:
Is that the more we fold mixture of A and B the more layers we could get??
Thanks

Anonymous said...

I think this recipe is great. It will be much better if you record a video of it and post it up. Thanks :)

Quinn on September 25, 2011 at 10:48 PM said...

ji_ji: I'm glad you like the recipe, I hope it is or would be a success for you considering the success rate for this according to comments here are pretty average, though I've done it many many times without fail! And yes, the more you fold it, the more layer you get. Be careful though because butter/lard might leak through layers and you need to chill often. When fat leaks, layers are sort of destroyed. Will not affect taste, just texture.

Anonymous: I really unfortunately could not find the time to do a video at this stage but nevertheless, great suggestion, always easier but I hope the step-by-step pictures sort of speaks for itself.

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

I was searching everywhere for a flakey pastry egg tart recipe and none of the recipes were detailed enough, however I have to thank you so much for this recipe!

I am surprised no one commented about how theirs turned out! I tried your recipe today and it was absolutely amazing! The pastry was exactly like bakery and dim sums! However I think the filling may need some altering. The taste is great but I can't make it look as nice as yours. My filling starts to turn a little brown at the top. I could show you how mine turned out. I even lowered the oven setting but then that leads to pastry not crusty enough. If i could figure out how to get the filling to stop turning brown then this would be great!

Do you know how i could stop my filling from looking like it will explode in the oven?

Again thanks a lot for this recipe! I made it today and everyone enjoyed it!

xxx

Quinn on October 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM said...

Anonymous: If you roll the pastry thin enough, the pastry will brown nicely with a just firm wobbly custard and should not turn brown. the filling explode and bubble up because temperature is too high, something you would want with Portuguese egg tart, not this sort of flaky egg tarts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez