Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Life in Adelaide

Posted by Quinn at Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It's been a while since I last blog and share my success and failure. In fact, this is the very first time I'm doing it (blogging) ever since coming to Australia. Don't take into account the Halloween post as that was drafted.

Time sure do flies and it's been about a month plus ever since I came to Adelaide. A week before I flew here, I was having a bad mixed feeling. Things such as medical check up, my student visa and my acceptance in the University of Adelaide are not of my concern as I've settled that sometime earlier. It is of my concern that I'll be parting from my beloved family (yet again) and be in the arms of my lovely boyfriend. You lost something and you gain something, such is life.

On the bright side, food is not of my concern as I'm pretty interested in whipping up Indian and Italian cuisine lately. More about that later on in CookingQuinn but what I am going to share now is the feeling of having to go through all 'these'.

Culture shock was one of them. Melbourne's experience did little to help my situation get better. My heart was yearning for my family who are miles away. Averagely in Melbourne last year, I cried 12 times a year, making that once a month. Having to come to Adelaide, I cried almost every night for the first fortnight of my stay.

Bunking into the temporary accomodation sucks! Food was a major issue as we couldn't get hold of a kitchen to cook. Within that one week period, we have to attend orientation (which already run 2 weeks before our arrival), look for a permanent place to live in for approximately a year, get used to the city and we do a lot of walking. Heaps of them under a scorching burning sun.

I was totally unhappy and on many occasions, I felt I was on the verge of getting a nervous breakdown. The rest of the story was well you could say history.

Now, here i am, in Adelaide doing my Masters in Petroleum Engineering. Even after uni life started, it did little to ease my homesickness. We argued a lot over many small matters that is not of concern to any couples around the world. We threw tantrums at each other and having said hurtful words which you probably don't even mean more than half of it was the worst nightmare. When you walk out the street, you see 1 Asian in every 10 Caucasians. Not that I am making a racist remark but I am using that as a point to further strengthen my homesickness.

Uni life is hectic. It is 9 am till 5 pm every Monday to Friday. One week elapsed mark the end of one subject. And I only have 9 subjects to do for a year. So you could probably see that as working only 9weeks out of 52weeks, what more should I ask for?

I'm supposed to be very busy with my assignments now considering that I screwed up my 25% test (I barely pass) but I wouldn't budge an inch. The heart felt so heavy and so not motivated. The desire of switching to another course gets stronger over time. And all that could only be blurted here and to no one else.

Let's talk about something more cheerful. Adelaide is a small place just like Kuala Lumpur. The difference is, it is much more panoramic and has lotsa trees and fresh, unpolluted air. It is very tranquil and peaceful. A very easy going place I would call it. The only night life here you get is probably drinking during the weekends in hotels and pubs. I am grewing to love the night life too. Sipping white wine over a comfort chat is teh perfect comfort zone. I am staying off-campus in North Adelaide in a luxurious looking place called Brougham Place. It was a love at first sight for the both of us. Big rooms, big house, everything big and a perfect balcony overlooking the city view. The only drawback, there is only one bathroom to share among the 5 of us. However, the 5 of us befriended each other easily and are now besties. We ar all Asians and from time to time speak our mother's tongue. It felt so comfy and homely.

I hate the insecure feeling I am having right now. I hallucinate and become very dreamy sometimes. Since I am at a very clear state of mind typing this, I thought it is only logical for me to note down what's really in my heart. Coming to Adelaide without much friends and finding my way around was scary. Luckily for me I had help, it made things a lot easier. We both need each others help let it be academically or non-academically. Leaving my comfort zone and coming here definitely was not an easy task. I guess that is what everybody goes through when they go to a new place. It is part and parcel of life. You just need to adapt to sorta get around. You basically have to start from scratch.... meeting new people and getting accustomed to the place.

I kinda wanna end this post half-hanging.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments on "Life in Adelaide"

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez