Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ellena, this is for you! :Watermelon Rind Drink

Posted by Quinn at Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lately, watermelons and grapes are in season in Adelaide so I've been buying a lot of them. I just love munching on sweet watermelons so sometimes I cut the flesh away from the skin like real deep in, leaving behind a lot of rind and skin. I then chanced upon this blog by Babe in the City- KL and this one from Lily's Wai Sek Hong and realize I can put the watermelon rind to full use rather than throwing them away.

I just clean the skin thoroughly and use a fork to scrap the white flesh over a large pot to catch any juice and then throw them in the pot. I then pour boiling hot water over the rinds until it covers everything and probably a little more.

I simmer them for more than two hour usually so it won't be so 'cooling' according to Lily. However, one hour should be alright but you won't get a yellowish concoction. You'll get a rather off white concoction. Then I sweeten them with crushed rock sugar. I usually start off with 1/4 cup of rock sugar and slowly taste and guesstimate. However, I have had occasions where the watermelon is really sweet and I ended up adding nothing at all! I don't really have a sweet tooth when it comes to things like herbal drink and smoothies. I only have sweet tooth for chocolates!


I hope Ellena will make this for little Reyon. I have had 2 people telling me that this taste very much like barley drink and Sammi thinks it taste like winter melon!!! I think the taste is pretty refreshing and is suitable for most people. I like to serve it either warm or real cold. I usually don't keep more than 3 days.

Try it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments on "Ellena, this is for you! :Watermelon Rind Drink"

Ellena on April 21, 2009 at 11:41 PM said...

Hi Quinn,

Wow..thank you so much for taking the trouble to get so many water melon rind and prepared this drink just for "us" in order for me to learn and prepare for little reyon.. THank you.. wow.. but then if must boiled for 2hrs then i sure Faint... cos *expensive* on gas consume leh.. hahaha.. :p Mb i will put it in slow cooker and slow boiled it... :p *cut cost*

Quinn on April 22, 2009 at 4:01 PM said...

Actually boil an hour also can already but it looked pretty whitish so I kinda don't like it. But the taste is there already. I'm renting a house where all bills are included so kinda have no restrictions about gas and electricity, hehe!

VG on May 25, 2009 at 7:33 AM said...

Refreshing!

BTW, I have posted the response to your query.

Quinn on May 25, 2009 at 4:04 PM said...

Thanks, I've followed up too.
Thanks for your kind offering.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez