Friday, July 24, 2009

Beehive Cake

Posted by Quinn at Friday, July 24, 2009

This cake is actually introduced to me by Aaron. He said his mom made this once and he fell in love with it. Many people call this honeycomb cake or the Malays call this 'Bolu Sarang Semut' but when Aaron first introduced me to this cake, he known this to me as Beehive cake so Beehive cake it is then.

I have used the recipe from the book Fancy Cakes and Jellies by Vickie Chieng which turned out quite good in my opnion. You always hear people say they only got 75% of the beehive and must use bottom heat only and yada yada. I got like almost 100% (except for the skin on top which didn't form). The picture above is the cross section of the inside of the cake and below is a slice of the cake itself. I've only removed the skin layer on top and that's it. Take a closer look at the picture below and notice the slice of beehive cake behind. That's the skin I am talking about. I think I sort of overbaked this a little so I remove the skin since it tasted a little bitter.

I don't know whether the cake formed all beehive pattern by accident. See, I made the batter and all and the oven was preheated long time back and a phone call came. I couldn't bake it no matter what. So I switched off the oven and pop the cake into the fridge. Until the next night when I open my fridge to cook dinner, I remember the unbaked cake.

I then quickly preheated my oven and cross my fingers, pop the cake in the oven and voila!!! Surprise, surprise. Result was better than I've thought.

Anyway, here's the recipe:


Beehive Cake (adapted from the Fancy Cakes and Jellis by Vickie Chieng)
makes one 8'' x 4'' loaf tin but I've used a 9'' round tin instead

½ can sweetened condensed milk (194g)
3 tbsps butter

Sieved together:
120g low-protein flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

5 large eggs
230g castor sugar (I use 1 cup exactly)
200ml hot water

Start off by greasing and lining an 8” x 4” oblong cake tin. Preheat oven to 200°C. Beat condensed milk and butter till pale and fluffy. Gently fold in sifted dry ingredients. In another mixing bowl, beat eggs till fluffy and almost double in volume. Add into the condensed milk batter. Do the caramel now. Caramelize the castor sugar in a thick-based pot till it dissolves. Add in hot water and stir till it forms a syrup. Stir to combine well. Turn off heat. Fold the caramel into the mixed batter but do not overfold or air bubbles will be deflated. (I sorta cooled it a little before pouring because I'm afraid the heat from the caramel might cook the eggs in the batter). Pour cake batter into prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes. Check if cake is done with a toothpick.


P/S: This recipe is called a cake but it taste very much like kuih like, chewy and very fragrant. I strongly suggest you don't reduce the sugar. This kuih is not sweet at all.

All the best in getting 100% beehive pattern!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 comments on "Beehive Cake"

Ellena on July 25, 2009 at 12:48 AM said...

Wow...we love this... your honeycomb cake very nice.. i love the colour. Is it hard to make? as in hard to achieve such effect?

Quinn on July 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM said...

Ellena,
This cake is as easy as peanut to make. I really don't know what's all the hoo-ha about not getting the beehive patterns. I think mine formed easily cause I left it in the fridge overnight. Please do try it if you're ever making it! Try leaving it overnight like me!

Christine on July 26, 2009 at 9:21 PM said...

Hi! Quinn,
I have this recipe also, but mine is slightly different from yours. You mean you poured the hot caramel into the batter? Really surprise me you that the batter was kept in the fridge for a night. Thanks for sharing.

Quinn on July 26, 2009 at 9:32 PM said...

I stirred the caramel till it's not so hot and 'temper' it into the batter. Slowly folding it in, to keep the air bubbles and to not overcook the eggs in the batter. And, yes! I 'accidentally' kept it in the fridge overnight!

And thanks for sharing your chili tuna lasagna too!!! Mine was just alright cuz I did so much substitution that it didn't really taste so good anymore. I made curry white sauce. Maybe a little too daring there!

Christine on July 27, 2009 at 2:03 AM said...

You're really creative, you can even think of cooking lasagna with curry white sauce. My chili tuna sauce is more to either Malaysian or Singaporean taste, do you eat chili?

Quinn on July 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM said...

Hi Christine,
Of course I do take chili. In fact I love chili and always complain the Nando's chicken here is not spicy at all even though I picked 'X-tra Hot' flavour for basting!

photonic on August 31, 2009 at 4:41 PM said...

when i was child my mother made like this cake' and i was love it then my mother died' i didn't knew what's name this cake?!
but i still dream to eate this again.
now i finding it in your web
thank you alot.
Lufiah-Makkah-Saudia Arabia

photonic on August 31, 2009 at 5:03 PM said...

i dont understand some stepes like this:

Add in hot water and stir till it forms a syrup. Stir to combine well. Turn off heat. Fold the caramel into the mixed batter but do not overfold or air bubbles will be deflated. (I sorta cooled it a little before pouring because I'm afraid the heat from the caramel might cook the eggs in the batter). Pour cake batter into prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes. Check if cake is done with a toothpick.



please help me :(

Quinn on August 31, 2009 at 6:03 PM said...

I'm glad you found my webpage, now you can make failproof beeh hive cake for yourself! It is really yummy.

You need to caramelize the sugar in the pot first. That means just the sugar and nothing else. When all sugars are melted and turn dark amber brown and very thick and viscous, add in the hot water.

Be careful because the water might splatter and you might burn yourself. When you add in the water, you will find it very hard to stir and lumpy. Just keep it over low heat on the stove and stir and everything will dissolve.

Then you slowly use a silicone spatula and do folding motions when you add the syrup into the egg batter. The hot syrup might cook the egg in the batter so cool it a little bit before doing the folding.

When the batter form one uniform batter, pour everything into the cake pan and bake it.

Sometimes the cake will not be cook at the center. So you poke the cake with a toothpick or wooden skewer. If the cake is done, the skewer will come out clean.

I hope you can understand better now.

Good luck.

photonic on September 13, 2009 at 5:05 PM said...

yes i understand

thank you soooooooooo much

and happy Ramadan

veggie wedgie on September 18, 2009 at 6:35 AM said...

This is so coo!I wish I cooked make a vegan version of it, but from what I understood eggs are pretty vital to this recipe..

Quinn on September 18, 2009 at 10:54 AM said...

Veggie Wedgie,

Eggs are vital for this one but what gives it the bee hive effect is the high content of baking powder in the batter.

Try using your normal vegan cake recipe and do a little alteration to incorporate baking powder in it.

Let it stand for an hour or so before baking. You'll see that it result in a bee-hive-looking cake, though it definitely won't taste like honeycomb anymore.

Cheers!

Jada on September 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM said...

Wow, this is so cool looking! I'll definitely have to try it!

Quinn on September 18, 2009 at 12:43 PM said...

I strongly suggest you try this Asian style dessert. It has a very special, chewy texture when you eat it though it's call a cake.

Errin on October 23, 2009 at 3:08 AM said...

I have never seen anything like this. It looks sooo yummy and I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

Quinn on October 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM said...

Thank you and no worries Errin, do update me though when you try it and like it or hate it!

Cakebrain on October 24, 2009 at 8:26 AM said...

Oh my goodness...I've been looking all over for a recipe for this cake and your picture just lured me here! I am so happy I found your blog! looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
reborn girl on September 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM said...

can i use all purpose flour instead ?

Quinn on September 25, 2011 at 10:44 PM said...

reborn girl: Yes I do not see why not. If you have cake flour, would be best though. All purpose flour is more of medium-protein flour :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez