Monday, July 20, 2009

Not Quite London Cheesecake

Posted by Quinn at Monday, July 20, 2009


Another cheesecake yet again people....I have been rather busy. Rather busy doing nothing for my 2months holiday. Not to say nothing really, I've been visiting the Morialta Fall and practising my bicycle riding skills. Probably will be riding along the beach this weekend and hike up Morialta Fall again.

Since I just receive an award for being a Kreativ Blogger, here is something for you guys. No your usual cheesecake. A London cheesecake with avocado in it. Sounds rather interesting to you I hope.

Just in case any of you don't know (don't call me show-off!), London cheesecake consist of a layer of puff pastry, a layer of frangipane mixture on top. Rest that a little while and pop it into the oven to bake till set. Upon cooling, spread it with plain frosting on top and sprinkle on dessicated coconuts.
What you see in my picture does not consist whatsoever that I've just mentioned, hence 'Not-Quite-London'. Nigella Lawson's book, 'How To Be A Domestic Goddess' has an awesome London Cheesecake which comes with a sour cream topping (WHAT? YOU'VE YET TO TRY IT? WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL THESE WHILE?). Recipe is available on her website here (CLICK!!!).

I've opted for a chewy sorta base rather than graham cracker base. I'm really getting sick of cheesecakes with graham cracker. Half the time I remove the graham base and only eat the cheese filling. I'll probably make a 'no-crust cheesecake' when I shed some weight. Won't be long, have faith in me!

Anyway, this recipe is so special because it uses avocado and it's baked! Did I mention I'm also sorta getting sick of no-bake cheesecakes. Those that you just pop them into the fridge and wait. They are often full of fats due to the high content of whipping cream and it has a rather wobbly texture like pudding due to the gelatine. I want something firmer, something creamy, not filling to the palate. I used to think both baked and no-bake cheesecakes are alright to me (see here). Alright, I'll eat my words, happy?

This is a self-invented recipe. Only the base is adapted from Baking Bites and I wanna let you people know this is a totally awesome base. I love it so much that I am never gonna use graham cracker base again.

Note that I've chose to use lime juice because it's slightly green in colour and I want all-natural colouring in this. You can chose to use lemon juice or don't use any will do too! I do not assure your avocado colour won't turn greyish. I used lime juice in mine and they've remained green for 4 days, a little dull on the 6th days but still not grey, if you know what I mean.

Too much ramblings, here is the recipe:

Avocado London Cheesecake

Preheat oven to 175°C and grease a 8'' round springform tin. Wrap a layer of cling film around the bottom of the pan where water might seeps in. Wrap again with 2 layers of aluminium foil as insurance.

Base:
60g butter, softened (4 tbsp)
3 tbsp castor sugar
70g plain flour (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp OR 10 tbsp)
2 tbsp good-quality cocoa powder
Dash of fine salt

Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
Sift together the remaining ingredients. Mix it well and add to the butter mixture.
Use fingers and mix until crumbly and thorough.
Press the mixture into prepared tin.
Bake it in a preheated oven for 15 mins or until done at 175°C.

While baking the crust, weigh your cheese filling ingredients.

Filling:
2 over ripened hass avocado, fairly large, deseeded and scoop flesh out clean
225g to 250g cream cheese
1/2 cup castor sugar (8 tbsp)
3 eggs
2 tbsp lime juice + zest if you want to make it more green and tangy
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp whipping full-fat cream

Let's just be flexible here. The only reason I made this was because I was trying to clear up my leftovers in fridge, which includes avocado, barely any whipping cream in a huge jar eating up my refrigerator space, not-a-full-block of cream cheese and half a lime, cling wrapped for ages.

Anyways, just pop everything into a food processor and pulse until well combined. A blender works really well too if you don't have a processor. Don't have a blender too? Well, I'm sorry you'll have to do it step-by-step. I don't really have a step-by-step. Try this, beat together cream cheese, sugar, whipping cream and avocado flesh until combined and crack in egg one at a time. Add in the rest of the remaining ingredients and use a whisk, or a hand held mixer or your hand or whatever tools that best suit you and beat until one beautiful uniform batter forms. Don't worry, it's cream cheese, it will never curdle no matter what.

Pour the batter onto the hot crust and hot pan and place the tin on a larger roasting pan. Pour hot water into roasting pan (we're baking this the water bath style!) until halfway up the round tin.

Bake at the same temperature for 30mins or so. Do the wobble-jiggle test if you need to.

While baking this, mix together your topping that will make this a Nigella's London Cheesecake Style:

Topping:
1/2 cup sour cream (I was trying to use up sour cream too so I pop in more than 1/2 cup definitely! Any amount really doesn't matter.)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp castor sugar

Pour the sugar and vanilla into your sour cream tub and whisk them until smooth and lump-free. Set aside for later use and start cleaning up your utensils. For me, it was just a food processor bowl and a 1 tbsp measuring spoon and a knife used to cut avocado!

When the time is up, remove the cheesecake from the oven and cool it a little. I'm afraid the sour cream might curdle if it's too hot since I just took mine out from the refrigerator. When it has cooled down a little, say 10mins or so, pour all the topping onto the cake, spread it around a little to cover crevices and gaps and pop it back into the oven.

Bake a further 5 to 10mins and off the oven. Remove from water bath and cool it down until room temperature.

Be patient, pop it into the fridge and let it chill overnight.

Serve well-chilled the next day. I have comments that the combination (cocoa base+avocado-lime+sour cream) tasted like salted duck egg yolk, banana and etc.

What do you think?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments on "Not Quite London Cheesecake"

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez