Friday, July 10, 2009

Peanut Cookies

Posted by Quinn at Friday, July 10, 2009

Honey went camping in Flinders Ranges. It must be really chilly since it's winter now and there's no line in the forest. I'm practically missing him a lot :)

In order to take my mind off him, I made loads of stuffs yesterday. Bolognese sauce took half my day off. It's a really good one by the way. The other half day was spent making Aaron's favourites, these peanut cookies and I made Tau Sar Piah!!!! My next post will be on that! I finally had the courage to attempt it after so long.

It all started with me making mooncake shape angkoo kuih and I realise the filling was real damn good. So I made Tau Sar Piah with the same filling and the result was fabulous! Angkoo kuih was a failure....I forgotten to grease the baking paper (supposed to use banana leaves but I'm not ready to part with my money just yet since banana leaves are priced at AUD15 per kilo!). Apart from ugly, tastewise was excellent. More on that later though.

For these peanut cookies, I was taught by an aunty long ago to use a ratio of:

2:2:1:1 = Grounded peanuts : Plain Flour : Castor Sugar : Pork lard

Having said that, I have on many successful occasions substituted castor sugar with sifted icing sugar mixture, added a pinch of salt to the mixture and added more oil or lard as I go along. When you can roll a bit of the dough into a ball without surface cracking, you know you can stop adding oil/lard to bind them.

I have also tried substituting plain flour with self-raising flour. I made smaller balls and when they are done baking, they expand slightly and they wre every airy and fluffy inside. I love both ways. This is a very forgiving recipe indeed.

Have fun making especially when Chinese New Year comes!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments on "Peanut Cookies"

Anncoo on July 11, 2009 at 2:21 AM said...

Long time never make this.So nice:)

Quinn on July 11, 2009 at 5:21 PM said...

Thanks Anncoo!
Should start making some.
Not necessary must wait until CNY only can make!
I think they are very addictive!
Can never stop at one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez