Saturday, July 11, 2009

Tau Sar Piah

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, July 11, 2009


I only made 12 of these and I regret I didn't make more. It wasn't even enough to go around us and it was flaky and delicious.

It's been pretty hard trying to scale down the recipe from 100 pieces to 12 pieces. Kids, do your math homework! I also twisted the recipe to my liking. I adapted Yochana's version and Amanda's version, though they are actually both pretty much the same. Aunty Yochana probably tweaked from the basic recipe itself too.

I like that shortening and lard both make the skin crisp and flaky. Having said that, I just popped one in my mouth again. Couldn't wait for Aaron to come home on Sunday night. It'll probably be gone by then.


My version of this infamous Tau Sar Piah from Kitchen Capers thanks to tthksy!

Dough A
30g plain flour (1/4 cup)
1/2 tbsp shortening
1/2 tbsp lard

Dough B
60g plain flour (1/2 cup)
1 tbsp shortening
1 tbsp lard
1.5 tbsp water
1/8 tsp white vinegar

Filling
75g mung beans
3 tbsp sugar
1.5 tbsp lard
1.5 tbsp ready-made fried shallots
Slightly less than 1/2 tsp fine salt

I made Dough A and Dough B as per the lao por ping's recipe by Florence.

As for filling, I soaked the mung beans for about 5 hours, drain it and steamed it until soft. I then place everything else into my mini chopper and pulse it a few times to break up larger pieces of frieh shallots. Now your sugar is probably of castor sugar consistency :) Add in the steamed mung beans and pulse again to form paste.

I divided Dough A, Dough B and the filling to 12 pieces by naked eyes.

Egg wash it with the leftover yolk wash from the peanut cookies and sprinkle it with generous amount of roasted black and white sesame seeds, leftovers from my sushi making. I just love using up leftovers and churning them into different things!

I then bake them straight away in a preheated oven at 180°C for 20mins.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments on "Tau Sar Piah"

Anncoo on July 12, 2009 at 10:21 PM said...

Only 12 pieces? I think not enough to share with me @0@

Christine on July 13, 2009 at 12:18 AM said...

If you share some with Anncoo, then what about me?

Quinn on July 13, 2009 at 1:25 AM said...

Thanks Christine and Anncoo!
I'm really not that good in this and this is my first time doing this *smiles sheepishly*
I've got a lot more to learn!

Ellena on July 13, 2009 at 10:49 AM said...

Oh Gosh!!! Quinn, these look great!!! Only 12 huh? Then got keep some for my share :p I can see the skin layer is nicely done and the fillings... wow.. i can almost bite on my screen now :p

Quinn on July 13, 2009 at 2:28 PM said...

I think the skin and filling aren't too bad considering this is my first attempt Ellena! Thanks! You should bake some yourself! Why keep that baking skills of yours in the cupboard!

Ellena on July 13, 2009 at 6:02 PM said...

Haha.. cannot la.. Quinn, I am too lazy to make the filling from start :p but if just asking me to eat i will be more than delight. And the salty version de is always to my liking compare to the sweet 1 :p

p/s: I am still waiting to see yr chiffon cake leh :p

Quinn on July 14, 2009 at 1:13 AM said...

Chiffon on its way. Tried twice but failed so dare not post leh....

This is salty version wor but I omitted the white pepper. Sounds too weird to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez