Saturday, August 29, 2009

Disney Mooncake Angku Kuih

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, August 29, 2009

I'm sorry I went hiatus for some time again. Uni started and the everyday of 9am till 5pm of listening to lectures are killing me. I am so glad I get to stay busy in the kitchen doing things I love to do now....I will be submitting this entry as part of the Merdeka Open House 2009 organized by Babe in the City- KL. Malaysia truns 52 years this August 31st. And the theme chosen for this year’s virtual open house is My Sweet Malaysia. I love it that this is a great way to show the world what Malaysia delicacy is all about. So, please do support me in this act and do remember to check out Babe in the City- KL blog on August 31st for the final round up of some truly authentic sweet Malaysian treats!

This is a fusion in terms of look. Taste wise, it is definitely as authentic as those you could get by the roadsides. This recipe is a hand-me-down from my Grandma. We, being the Peranakan Descendants have a task to share and spread it out to as many people as possible in order for these delicacies to not extinct.
In terms of look, I have opted to use mooncake moulds, with Disney Characters imprints as I'm in Adelaide, getting Angku Mould is almost impossible and I don't want yet another gadget in my pantry that I might not use often. In terms of colour, I have opted to use 2 colours (Red and Yellow) out of the 4 colours (Red, Yellow, White and Blue) from our Jalur Gemilang.

However, I did try sourcing out ingredients and did not substitute anything for this Angku kuih. Malaysia sweet treats are usually infused with banana leaves. Banana leaves impart an exotic aroma, which cannot be substituted by almost anything.

Angku Kuih are usually made up of mung bean fillings. Fried shallots are a must according to Granny. However, over time, things like peanut filling and red bean filling pop up taking places of mung beans. Aaron loves peanut filling and I just can't say no to him. Because, he bought me a Chiffon Pan! I know, I know people, don't be jealous, he is adorable and is so sweet!

I have modified the looks of these so badly that if my Grandma sees this, she would be angry that I actually credited her for this! This is not authentic to her. She is a string believer on presentations. Everything must be 'best-quality'. But I know she will forgive me because despite all the scarcity in Adelaide, I manage to still churn out these babies!


Angku Kuih (makes 6 small round mooncakes, of 5.2cm diameter)

Start off by making the filling:


Peanut filling: makes 3 balls
40g of roasted peanuts, skin removed, grounded till fine form
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp boiling hot water or more

I hope you do usually make peanut cookies and have some roasted peanuts which are skinned and grounded else just use those readymade roasted peanuts would suffice.

Mix the sugar and peanut together and slowly add in enough boiling water to bring them together. Form 3 balls and set aside.


Mung bean filling: makes 3 balls 40g yellow split mung bean, washed and soaked in water for 5 hours
1.5 tbsp castor sugar
1 tsp shallot oil
1/2 tbsp fried shallots
Pinch of salt and water if necessary

Drain the mung bean and steam them on high heat until they are soft. Grandma's rule of thumb, when you hold one grain of mung bean in between your fingers and gently press it a little, it will immediately mash up into fine powdery texture. Then you are done!

I use ready made fried shallots. I process that until fine and add everything else into the processor. Blitz them for 10secs or so and they are done. Form 3 balls. If needed, oil your hand accordingly to ease the process.

In fact, at this stage, you could use them to make Tau Sar Piah if you like. But you gotta make the flaky oil and water dough first.


Skin:
50g sweet potatoes or pumpkin
75g glutinous rice flour
1/2 tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp water

Wash and cube the sweet potatoes. Steam it over high heat until soft. Steaming time depends on the amount. For this, it took me just 10mins :)

Mash them up and mix it with all other ingredients until you form a soft dough. Dough consistency must be such that when you pinch one lump and roll them between your palms, they are wrinkle free and very smooth. Weigh them and form 6 equal size balls, around golf ball size.

In fact, at this stage, you could use the skin to make ondeh-ondeh if you want to. Just form 20g balls each of skin and wrap in with 1 teaspoon of gula melaka.

Optional: Tint half the dough with red food colouring.


Assemble:

6 squares of banana leaves, trimmed to approximately 6cm by 6cm


Flatten one ball of the skin and wrap in with the filling. Roll it between your palm until wrinkle free. Place them on a piece of oiled banana skin. Repeat with the rest of the skin and filling.

Now, place the moncake mould over the ball and gently press the plunger vertically down and hard to get the imprint and shape on them. You could use wooden mooncake moulds and angku mould of course!

Preheat your steamer and when water reached boling point, steam them over medium high heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Immediately remove them from the steamer and liberally brush them with peanut oil again.

Cool to room temperature and serve. We ate them when they are still warm. It was delicious apart from the fact that I probably soaked the mung bean too long (is overnight soaking alright???) and was a little stingy with the oil and sugar. Oil binds it up nicely and sugar brings out the mung bean flavour so just for this time, don't be stingy with these two. After all, you only live once and you'll die anyway when you're old. So, just eat it. It's not bad for your hips if they taste good! Below was what I did when I didn't have banana leaves. Just make sure you oil the baking paper well before steaming.


Happy Independence Day Malaysia! I am truly a Malaysian, check out My Savoury Malaysia on my other cooking blog. Nasi Lemak is a must and there you go again, banana leaves!

Thank you Babe in the City- KL for hosting the round-up! Thanks Aaron and Su En for the photographs. In fact, I think they should thank me for giving them a chance to flaunt their skills online, hehe!

Merdeka! Merdeka! Merdeka!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments on "Disney Mooncake Angku Kuih"

babe_kl on August 30, 2009 at 2:08 AM said...

How innovative! Those nmoulds are cute, how to eat the cute angkoos?? Hahaha

Thanks for participating ;-)

Anncoo on August 30, 2009 at 2:29 AM said...

These moulds are so cute. You ordered this on line?
Look at the angukuih, so pretty colour :D

Quinn on August 30, 2009 at 2:29 AM said...

Hey Babe,

Thanks for checking back.
Yeah they are very adorable but nevertheless, the evil us still manage to gulp them down in no time!

Thanks for organizing!

Lianne on August 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM said...

Now .. this is what I call a gluttons Angku coz it is filled up HIGH enough :-) Looks like a lot of work to make isn´t it? Happy Merdeka btw :-) and have a nice week ahead.

Quinn on August 31, 2009 at 5:49 PM said...

Hi Lianne,

Welcome to my baking diary!
Yes, it was loaded with filling! Little stretch skin and lots of filling, just like a real mooncake!

Happy Merdeka to you too!

Cuisine Paradise on September 2, 2009 at 11:35 AM said...

wow..u used the mooncake mould liao.. veri nice leh..the print is so clear... we love it we love it... :)

Quinn on September 2, 2009 at 8:30 PM said...

Haha Lena,
It's going to be mooncak festival very soon. I hope you will use yours very soon too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez