Friday, August 21, 2009

Greek Yoghurt with Condensed Milk and Oranges

Posted by Quinn at Friday, August 21, 2009

Updated as of 22/10/2009: I've made these with blood orange twice and they are way more awesome. The sweetness is just nice and I love how to yoghurt is lightly tinted pink by the blood orange juice. Very good looking and delicious!


This is yummy and refreshing, not too sweet and the yogurt sets to a creamy soft pudding texture. I've bought some really sweet mandarin oranges from the wet market however you can also use ordinary oranges or blood oranges. However, other fruits such as banana, mango or plum would also be great, as long as they are sweet as sweet.


This is adapted from Tessa Kiros's book, Apples For Jam. I've practically tried more than half her recipes but of course I'll ony post up what I think is yummy. But one thing's for sure, I've tried all her ice creams, sorbets and semifreddo and they all tasted absolutely wonderful. Maybe cuz I'm an ice cream lover. I think my next post would be sorbet again, I have a strong feeling on that!


This one serves 4

100ml sweetened condensed milk
Finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange
300g Greek style natural yoghurt
2 whole oranges, any type would do

If you are using plain yoghurt, strain that through a muslin place over a metal siever to drain out the liquid.

Mix together the condensed milk, half the orange rind and 1/4 cup of the orange juice in a jug. Slowly mix this into the yoghurt bit by bit. Reserve some for topping and spoon the rest into serving glasses. Cover and chill them in the fridge for a good few hours until it sets to a very soft and creamy pudding.

If you are using mandarin oranges, peel them and remove some fibres and set aside. For ordinary orange or blood orange, use a small sharp knife to cut away the skin, leaving no pith. Slice the oranges into substantial wheels, approximately 5mm thick disc, and then half those. Put the cut slices into a bowl to collect their juices and if your oranges are on the sour side, sprinkle a teaspoon of castor sugar over them.

To serve, place a few orange slices over the soft pudding and dollop some reserved yogurt over. Dribble whatever remaining juices you have along with a tiny hill of leftover rind, just for extra colour and flavour.

I think this would serve as a good made before hand dessert for a party and even canapes!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments on "Greek Yoghurt with Condensed Milk and Oranges"

cariso on August 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM said...

Wow, you blog out only those you felt nice uh? How about those trials on the not nice one? :)

Anncoo on August 21, 2009 at 10:31 PM said...

This is nice and I will add some contreau into it when I want to make this :D

Quinn on August 30, 2009 at 3:04 AM said...

Cariso: I do blog out things that don't look good. I meant I usually don't post recipe that I don't think taste good

Anncoo: I like cointreau but I find it troublesome to go get one considering that I might not use them frequently.

Cheers to both of you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez