Sunday, August 30, 2009

Kuih Serimuka or Sarlat

Posted by Quinn at Sunday, August 30, 2009


I made this just now and I thought this should be submitted as part of the Merdeka Open House 2009 organized by Babe in the City- KL too. I think many people often see this but they don't know the name to it. This is a favourite among my family members and it originated again from my Granny.

Please people, no show off here. I just thought both Angku Kuih and Kuih Serimuka truly represents Malaysia. At first, I wanted to do Rempah Udang since I could do the colour them of white and blue but Bunga Telang is almost impossible to find here, even dried ones. And I don't think I wanna use blue coloring so I made these little jewels instead. I did use pandan paste here but somehow, to me, pandan paste seems healthier than blue coloring. I guess the color puts me off. I know I'm weird!

This time, this one focuses on banana leaves and also pandan leaves. Pandan leaves or screwpine leaves are commonly used to infuse flavours especially into rice. It is used in Nasi Lemak and almost every other Nyonya delicacies. You can blend it with some water and extract juice or just use pandan paste for this one. Pandan leaves are scarce here so I really couldn't afford using 10-20 of these leaves for blending just to make it look green au natural.

This recipe makes one 7 inch round tray. It is of perfect height. Remember to oil the base and sides of your baking tray to ease removal. Start off by soaking 200g of glutinous rice overnight. Wash them clean and add 5 tbsp coconut milk, 3 tbsp water, 1/2 tsp salt. Mix them up well and place 2 pandan leaves, knotted on top of the rice.


Preheat the steamer until very hot. Steam the glutinous rice over high heat for 15 to 20mins.


Discard the pandan leaves and fluff up the glutinous rice.

Now, compress the glutinous rice with a sheet of banana leaf and press till very compact and firm. If not, your pandan custard will later on leak into the rice layer. Then, it won't look good.

You could also use the back of a glass, wrapped with aluminium foil and compress it. I find both pretty hard but my housemate, Samantha did it for me in no time and she look so effortless doing it! Once done, steam it back on high heat just to get the shape and texture better, high heat, 7 to 10 mins or so.


Make the green pandan custard. Whisk 2 large eggs with 6 tbsp coconut milk and 1/2 cup sugar. In another bowl, combine 5 tbsp pandan juice (I use canned ones)with 3 tbsp cornflour/tapioca starch and 1.5 tbsp plain flour. Whisk that until lump free and add into the egg mixture. Whisk to combine. Strain it once into a large bowl. Bain-marie the mixture until it turned custardy. I did mine on high heat, stirring nonstop and it took me just 10mins.


Pour the custard over the glutinous rice layer. Pop that back into the steamer and steam on the lowest heat setting (as small as possible!!!) for 15 to 20mins.


Cool it in pan completely before slicing. A plastic knife works beautifully here. I like these jewels cold so I usually serve them chilled. Adelaide is so cold today that I steam them, remove them from the steamer. It was as chilled as coming out from a fridge in just 30minutes!
I hope more people will be exposed to Malaysia treats. They are often troublesome, needs a lot of part and different cooking. Thn you gotta bring them together again and assemble them and so forth. It is worth it when you have a bite into one of these little morsels.

Good Night Malaysians!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments on "Kuih Serimuka or Sarlat"

Anncoo on August 30, 2009 at 1:27 AM said...

Hi Quinn,
I really don't know the name of this kuih...not until now...but I really love this very much.
BTW, you've got a new template...bright and beautiful layout. Is it easy to download this (can get the free template from ipietoon.com)?

babe_kl on August 30, 2009 at 2:28 AM said...

Lucky you made this instead of Rempah Udang as that's not something sweet ;-)

Quinn on August 30, 2009 at 2:28 AM said...

Hi Anncoo,
Haha, now you know and I'm glad I'm able to help spread these delicacies even to Singapore!

My previous layout have the word 'Bandwith limit exceeded' popping out on my blog and I couldn't remove it so I guess I could only change a layout. But I love pink so no worries and I quite like this layout, I think they look pretty jovial and merry, a close resemblance of me!

I got the layout from here:

http://btemplates.com/2009/03/27/sweet-cupcake/

And yes, it is easy to download. I changed the whole thing in under 5mins :)

Quinn on August 30, 2009 at 2:54 PM said...

I'm glad I made these instead of Rempah Udang(s) too!

Sam on August 31, 2009 at 8:56 AM said...

Haha! Nice layout! It had to be pink huh? ;)

Quinn on August 31, 2009 at 10:39 PM said...

I didn't wanna change layout but the previous host's bandwith limit exceeded and I can't do anything. So, I change it to pink!

Cuisine Paradise on September 2, 2009 at 11:34 AM said...

Wow..Quinn, this is one of my favourite Kueh leh.. i love the combination of the top kaya with the steam glutinous rice... :)

Quinn on September 2, 2009 at 8:32 PM said...

Yeap, I like this very much too and that it's not too sweet and makes a small 7''' tray just for the 5 of us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez