Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mini Chocolate Croissants

Posted by Quinn at Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's been a week since my last post. New semester starts next week and I have an IELTS exam this Saturday morning. Life is pretty busy and I'm back on track. I'm loving each passing days! I live life to the fullest and do what I like all day long.

These chocolate croissants were made last year in Melbourne. It took me one whole day for this batch. I delayed posting it till now because this post has many photos and it took me a while to put things together.
I thought we could do with a short break from ice creams and give way to this lovely yummy croissants. For once, less words and more pictures. Below is the Tang Zhong, proportioned and whisked well in a bowl before being cooked till 65°C over the stove. Tang Zhong or water roux starter adds softness to any bread naturally without the need to use preservative. It is a combination of water and high protein flour at a ratio of 1: 5 by weights.

Once cooked, I cooled them to room temperature before using.

I then do lots of weighing to prepare for the bread dough and also the chocolate filling.

Next, I do the filling which was the chocolate paste and pop that in the fridge to chill until I'm ready to use them.
I found the best way to get them in shape is by putting them in a ziploc bag. They don't stick to the plastic surface and came off easily.

Next, I prepared the dough and incorporated Tang Zhong in it. It was initially this small:


And it doubled till this big:

I then roll the bread dough to a big sheet of rectangle. If you've let it proof enough and have kneaded it well until gluten fully developed, you'll have no problem rolling it out. I have emails saying that the bread dough always shrinks back to it's original size. That's because you didn't let it rise enough.

I then place the chocolate filling on top. From here, it is best to not make mistakes since the foldings will decide your croissants interior. You want the layerings to be perfect and not cross over each other.I then fold them into 3 parts like an envelope to completely cover the chocolate filling.

I use fingers and pinch to seal the seams very well.

I roll it out into a long rectangular sheet again. Make sure you dust your work surface.


I fold both ends towards the centre and leave a small gap at the centre where they should meet.

This is so that when I fold it over, it won't be too thick at the centre and start bulging out.

I roll them into a final rectangular gently dust away any excess flour. Too much of it will make the bread dough rock hard.


I do a little Phytagoras and cut them into equivalent size triangles.

I'm an engineer, maths are important. They are very isosceles aren't they?

Here comes the fun part, rolling, shaping, egg washing and bake them!

I place the triangles in the baking tray and let them rise one last time before baking

I give them a good egg wash coating and bake them straight.

I had some leftover dough which aren't triangle. So I make them into rectangles and made a few slits without cutting through.

I roll them up, brush away excess flour, egg wash that and bake that too.

These are pretty addictive and they disappear rather quickly. I made double the batches and they are all gone within 3 days. I really heart these little chocolate croissants!

Inspired by this Japanese website called Web Site Bread Baking e-pan Studio. This is the link to these mini chocolate croissants. As for the bread dough, I took the recipe from Florence of Do What I like here.

It's a little tedious but it's well worth the effect. I hope you will try it.

It's 1 AM now and I should be in bed and try revert back to my normal sleeping time before uni starts!

Good night!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments on "Mini Chocolate Croissants"

Christine on August 20, 2009 at 3:25 AM said...

Hey! This is really something new to me, you used chocolate instead of pastry margarine? Anyway, thanks for sharing. :P

Quinn on August 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM said...

Hey Christine,
It's not purely chocolate. I would say it's sorta like a chocolate pastry margarine. It's got butter, cocoa powder,flour and etc. in it.
Thank you for visiting!

Anncoo on August 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM said...

WOW, this is nice. I saw this in a French Bakery shop too. Yummy!

Quinn on August 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM said...

Really?
I thought this is a very Japanese thing and only the Japanese can come up with fancy ideas like that!

Petite Nyonya on August 21, 2009 at 7:35 PM said...

Just spotted your site thru' Anncoo's blog. Nice choc croissant. The choc/white swirls inside looks so creative.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez