Friday, August 7, 2009

Pain Perdu with Chocolate Mousse

Posted by Quinn at Friday, August 07, 2009

I really love the reality show, Masterchef because I think it is very related to me, to food and to what I like doing, churning and inventing something new in the kitchen. I was so into Masterchef that I had desserts for dinner one fine night. It's the famous pain perdu with chocolate mousse.

What I really like with this pain perdu is that it contains olive oil, not your usual butter. This also contain no egg and no flour. Olive oil gave it the smooth, glossy look. You don't taste the olive oil, it's really delicious. I've made so much substitutions to the chocolate mousse and it's still very much delicious.

As for the pain perdu, sorry Gary but I don't like lemony pain perdu. I've come up with my own recipe of pain perdu, using what I have in hand. It is also different from my French Toast Stack recipe. I just 'invented' it out of nowhere!


This is my invention test recipe:

Pain perdu or eggy bread

1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp sugar
pinch of seasalt
1 tbsp melted butter
2 tbspful of plain flour
6 slices of soft brioche or any other bread would do

Mix everything above except the brioche and plain flour. Slowly whisk in the flour, a tablespoon at a time and whisk until lump free. Then, proceed as you would do to a french toast, the stereotype thingy, soak and coat and drain and pan fry with lotsa butter until golden brown. I yield 6 rectangular block with this.


Olive Oil Chocolate Mousse

25g real good dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I've used Lindt's 85% dark choc)
40g thickened cream (I've used 'room temperature' sour cream here, people, yes, sour cream!)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (that's just what I had in hand, just use normal olive oil if you have any)

Bain-marie the chocolate or just microwave them since it's such a small amount. Stir until all melted and very smooth. Slowly whisk in the tablespoon of olive oil, whisking non-stop in one direction preferably. Whipped the thickened cream until soft peaks form and fold it in. I just stir in the unwhipped sour cream (I don't think you can whip sour cream anyway!) and fold them into submission. If your sour cream is cold, you'll have this patch of pale looking mousse with unpleasantly strong olive oil smell. That's what happened on my first attempt. Don't throw the whole bowl of mousse yet. A 5 seconds of nuking in the microwave salvaged it back.

To Serve:

Place 3 pain perdu (preferably kept warm in the oven when you are making the mousse) on each serving plate and dollop some of the chocolate mousse decoratively by the side. The mousse is best served at room temperature. Important: Sprinkle a little seasalt on top of the mousse and drizzle the plate with olive oil and serve straight. It might sound weird, the seasalt and olive oil and all but this is absolutely yummy.

Another way to serve is to just pop all the eggy bread on a plate and pour all the mousse over, scrapping each and every last bit off the bowl and licking all your fingers as you go! This serves 2 people as an aftermeal dessert or serve just one as an impromptu dinner!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments on "Pain Perdu with Chocolate Mousse"

Anncoo on August 7, 2009 at 7:43 PM said...

I think you have missed your kitchen very much...haha...keep it up!

Quinn on August 7, 2009 at 9:51 PM said...

Yes Anncoo,
I think spending time in the kitchen is the only time I'm free and have flexibility to do what I really love. It releases the real inner me and I feel very comfortable doing things in the kitchen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez