Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lemon Curd Tartlets

Posted by Quinn at Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Updated : 11:06PM, 17 Sept 2009

Sorry guys, yet another round of lemon curd tartlets. This time with a little more decorations on them.
Made the pastry cases and fill them with my remaining lemon curd. Ran out of it filled the remaining 3 with orange marmalade.

This time round, I didn't bother rolling, I go with my instinct and form them into 12 balls (approximately 15g each) and flatten them with my palms and stuff it into the muffin pan, a mini pan of course. That's how blind baking look like. Just use foil, don't bother about baking papers.


Aaron say he could just pop these empty pastry cases by itself because they are so buttery,, almost like eating butter biscuits. He asked when am I gonna make plain empty pastry shells for him, he likes the pastry shells a lot *faint!

I made these tartlets just now with Su En and I am so insane if I don't post it up now to share with you all. It's awesome, awesome, very awesome. I should have quadrupled the recipe!!!!


This recipe is adapted from Tessa Kiros, Falling Cloudberries, page 264, under the South Africa section. I envy Tessa because she is such had so much passion for cooking and that she had a great mixture. Born in London to a Finnish mother and a Greek-Cypriot father, she moved to South Africa when she was fur. She now lives in Italy with her Italian husband and for some years there, had had a housekeeper from Peru.

Having had such great mixture, she gets to see and taste food all around the world. From wonderful to weird kinky stuff, she owns it all...

I didn't expect the lemon curd filling to yield this much actually. I had a lot left after filling up 12 of the tartlets. Not like I would mine spreading them on toast every now and then but sometimes, I would prefer to not have leftover. My suggestion is to make 2/3 of the recipe but what I'll be posting below is the original recipe from her book.

Her recipe also mentioned juice and finely grated rind from 2 lemons and 1 cup of sugar. I find that rather inaccurate and not so suitable for beginners. Lemons do vary in sizes and I used small lemons just now so it was a little too sweet but not over cloyingly sweet.

It would be good if you can get hold of some Meyer lemons. Then you don't need that much sugar to mask the tartness of the lemon since Meyer lemons are generally sweeter. I could eat one just by itself, really.


Lemon Curd Tartlets (makes 12)

pastry
70g butter, slightly softened
30g sugar
70g plain flour
25g ground almond/almond meal
pinch of salt

lemon curd
75g butter
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
JUICE AND FINELY GRATED RIND OF 2 LEMONS

To make the pastry, cream together the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon. Add the flour, almond meal and a pinch of salt and mix well, using your hands when it becomes a little stiff, until the pastry comes together. Flatten slightly, cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30mins before using. (You can also freeze the pastry at this stage.)

Now make the curd. Melt the butter in a metal bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water to make a bain-marie. Whisk in the eggs. Add the sugar and whisk until thoroughly combined. Whisking continuously, gradually add the lemon juice and zest. Cook over the simmering water for about 20mins, stirring often, until thickened. Cool to room temperature.

Preheat your oven to 180°C. Roll out the pastry thinly on a lightly floured work surface and cut out circles of pastry to line about 12 shallow tartlet tins. Line with baking paper, fill with baking beans and blind bake for 8-10mins, or until the visible pastry is golden brown. Remove the paper and beans and cook for another couple of minutes to dry the bases. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before gently removing from the tartlet tins. When completely cooled, fill with lemon curd.

Just my two cents:

I place all the pastry ingredients into the food processor and pulse it. When it all combined into breadcrumbs, I pulse it a few more times and stop when it start to clump together. I place a large sheet of plastic wrap on the table and pour everything over it. I use my hands and gather everything together and chill that in the fridge for 30mins or so.

I find that the dough is quit hard and fiddly to handle so I just separate them into 12 parts and roll them into balls. Simply press them between my palms until it's an inch larger than the tartlet tin. I slide it in an fit it in place with my fingers delicately. In fact, I don't have a tartlet tin and I've used my smallest 12-holed mini muffin tray to do the job. They look so cute in petite form!

I scrunched the baking paper really well before cutting them in squares and stuffing them into the holes. I find that they fit better into corners and crevices like that.

Cook the curd for as long as possible, even more than 20mins to get it as thick as you can over the stove. When cooled completely, butter is the only thing bringing them to set. If you are bold, whisk it non-stop, in fact, whisk it like mad and your curd thickens in under 10mins. Do not even step away from the stove if you're doing the vigorous whisking on med-high heat. It's a fine line that distinguish smooth lemony curd from scrambled egg curd.


Place a layer of cling film over the cooked lemon curd so a skin layer would not form on top when it's chilled.


Good night!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments on "Lemon Curd Tartlets"

Anncoo on September 16, 2009 at 11:12 AM said...

This makes me drooling...wish I can have one:) Where did you get this plate..nice presentation :)

Quinn on September 16, 2009 at 11:24 AM said...

Hi Anncoo,
It's a ceramic cake/muffin/tart stand. I bought it on Ebay sometime back but never use it till now :) I think the fat lady supporting the little tartlets look really funny and interesting too!

Wish no more, go grab the ingredients and at least make one batch of these now!!!

cariso on September 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM said...

I was about to ask the same question too on the plate. :) It's lovely!

Quinn on September 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM said...

Cariso, I couldn't agree more :)

VeggieGirl on September 18, 2009 at 7:12 AM said...

Such DARLING little tartlets!!

Jennifer on September 18, 2009 at 8:59 AM said...

These look SO good!!!! I love your beautiful presentation!

Quinn on September 18, 2009 at 11:02 AM said...

VeggirGirl & Jennifer,

Thank yo very much! Unfortunately they are not gluten-free so both of you all can't make this for youself/husband!

Cheers!

Angie's Recipes on September 21, 2009 at 1:24 AM said...

Your lemon curd filling could be the best I have ever seen!

p.s. You have asked about me about the short-grained rice powder, and I found one of them from the link you gave me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/seadragon88/riceflour.jpg

Quinn on September 21, 2009 at 1:06 PM said...

Angie, thank you very much!!!!

Amelia PS on November 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM said...

oh o decadent :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez