Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Dual Coloured Balls

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, October 31, 2009

These are tang yuan but it's not plain old pink and red balls. It's cocoa and pumpkin flavoured balls with peanut filling too. In fact, I made these when I made the Halloween Pumpkin Angku and I thought of Ondeh-ondeh. You can click here and here for inspiration. Really, there are endless ways to make these.

For the skin, you can make them with sweet potatoes or just plain old beetroot juice or any juice instead of water. But in Asian kitchen, we generally use pandan juice to flavour desserts.For filling, try palm sugar or what we Malaysians known as Gula Melaka or palm sugar mixed with dessicated coconut too, the one we use to make kuih ketayap. These are boiled in water and usuallly poured with sugar syrup over them.

But for these, I would steam them the next time instead of boiling. It's cocoa powder and when I boil them, they sorta dissolve away a little, jeez.....Anyway, had fun making them and I like the idea of replacing water with milk and normal sweet potato puree with pumpkin puree. The chocolate coloured one has pumpkin puree in it too.

Now, indulge! Late night treats, I'm putting on so much unnecessary calories to my things but I really don't care because it's worth it!
I use this sweet potato ondeh-ondeh recipe. Maybe I should have coat these balls with dessicated cooconut. They look like frizzy balls. Now, indulge! Late night treats, I'm putting on so much unnecessary calories to my things but I really don't care because it's worth it!

Dual coloured idea inspired by Little Corner of Mine over here (stey-by-step guide too!)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments on "Halloween Dual Coloured Balls"

Sophia on August 10, 2010 at 7:02 AM said...

Wow, great job here. Awesome picture too! You should really consider submitting this to Recipe4Living's Ghoulishly Good Halloween Recipe Contest! It looks delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez