Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mahalepi Makeover

Posted by Quinn at Wednesday, October 28, 2009


My love for Mahalepi is insatiable! I really don't know why but this Cypriot dessert really captures my heart. It reminds me of Malaysia and Tau Fu Fah (SoyBean Curd) all the time.

Malaysian syrup drink, namely called Sirap or Bandung (when you add evaporated milk to it) tasted exactly like Mahalepi. It's the rosewater. The rosewater is the key why Mahalepi reminds me of Malaysia.


Simple add cherry or rose petal to tint the rosewater syrup redish like when you melt sugar with boiling water over stove.

Click here for recipe!!! This post is all about picturesque looking Mahalepi. I hope my photos manage to make you die for one and whip it up in the kitchen. No baking, simple stove top stuffs done under a few minutes. Good night Adelaide!



Cheers,
Quinn

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments on "Mahalepi Makeover"

Anncoo on October 29, 2009 at 12:12 AM said...

I want to bookmark this and am going to make this soon. Thanks!

Quinn on October 29, 2009 at 1:12 AM said...

Hi Anncoo,

I hate to say this but unfortunately things like rosewater or orange blossom is an acquired taste you have to get used to. Some people just dislike them but I go crazy over the thoughts of eating my friend's rose-flavoured hand cream!

Try this out with a small batch first and make more if you like it. Some people like serving Mahalepi this way:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42202418@N00/181524004

I think it looks gross, as if hands and legs got chopped up swimming in a pool of blood. Definitely good for Halloween!

Cheers!

Chocolate Shavings on October 29, 2009 at 5:40 AM said...

The color of that dish is beautiful, and it sounds delicious!

Quinn on October 29, 2009 at 12:15 PM said...

Thanks Jenn!

This is both delicious and beautiful.
Though it's not quite summer yet, this dessert, a must to be serve very cold is awesome on a hot day! It's wobbly and smooth texture is a killer!

Cheers!

petite nyonya on October 29, 2009 at 3:00 PM said...

I'm imagining this as tau foo fah with bandung taste! I love the name...so exotic! And sounds easy enough to do too, unlike our actual tau foo fah which I think is more complicated.

Quinn on October 29, 2009 at 4:16 PM said...

Yeap, totally agree!
This is a little firmer than tau foof fah but smooth and has bandung taste, haha!

Cuisine Paradise on October 29, 2009 at 7:20 PM said...

Yup! Yup! Agreed! The colour of this dessert is so sweet and elegant. It will be something great to sever during party time :) Thanks for sharing Quinn :p

Quinn on October 29, 2009 at 10:11 PM said...

Thanks Ellena and you're very much welcome. If party, I would make a large batch of this and serve it all scooped out soaked in rose petal syrup. Looks gross as I've said but convenient.

zurin on October 29, 2009 at 11:24 PM said...

That looks gorgeous! I saw the recipe and its so simple.I never thought of using rice flour to make a jelly like desert. How innovative. I'll definitely try. tq Quinn :)) Still thinking about the fingers! LOL

Quinn on October 30, 2009 at 12:24 AM said...

Thanks Zurin, I dreamt someone ate my fingers last night! Talk about spookiness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez