Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Spooky Shortbread Fingers

Posted by Quinn at Wednesday, October 28, 2009

In conjunction with Halloween, I have made these creepy fingers. I have adapted the recipe from Coffee and Vanilla and modified it to suit my taste and I only made a dozen fingers with this.

I like flaky and crumbly shortbread, the texture of pies and tarts pastry if you know what I mean. I have changed the method slightly and incorporated a pastry rubbing technique called Frissage. It's a French term which basically means smearing the butter into the flour so you get alternating sheets of them.


Spooky Fingers
(makes a dozen)

45g unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup plain flour
2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
1 heaped tsp vanilla sugar
2 tsp milk

Preheat the oven to 175°C. Place all the ingredients above in a food processor and pulse it several times until you get a uniform crumbles. Pour all out onto a clean work table and use the Frissage Rubbing Technique (I've heard a lot about this in words but never seen a video so well made!) to work the dough. The frissage method really produces a flaky shortbread that I like better in terms of texture. You just need to do it once and that will suffice since it's a small batch of dough. Cling wrap it and chill it in the fridge for 30mins or so.

12 roasted peanut halves
1 wooden skewer or toothpick

After 30mins, gently roll the dough into 12 balls. Just eyeball it, the more uneven you are, the more different sizes of fingers you get. Roll it to form a finger shape, give it a few crest and lines with the toothpick to mimic a real finger. Finally press the peanut halves on the end of each finger as nails.

Bake it for 15 to 20 mins at 175°C. It will firm up further upon cooling


We finished our fingers in less than an hour. I like how muscovado sugar flavours the fingers. There's just no substitute for it, muscovado itself has a very unrefined, pure and Chrismassy feeling for me.

Now, get your oven preheated and whip up these spooky and creepy fingers to impress your friends!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

25 comments on "Spooky Shortbread Fingers"

Anncoo on October 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM said...

WOW! Looks so real 0^0 I'm afraid to eat it...Good Job!

Quinn on October 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM said...

Thanks Anncoo!
We both finish a dozen in less than an hour! We are cannibals!

petite nyonya on October 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM said...

Hey, these fingers look so real! Spooky & fun! Well done!

Quinn on October 28, 2009 at 8:46 PM said...

Petite Nyonya,

Thanks for visiting and I'm glad you think they look spooky (that's a compliment right?)!

Von on October 28, 2009 at 9:48 PM said...

Wow- they're so cool!
They look really fun to make...
and eat!

Quinn on October 28, 2009 at 10:09 PM said...

Thanks Von!

Yeap, pretty fun making but I'm not sure if you're making 90 to 100s of them for a party! But making 12 is easy peasy!

Eating, needless to say is always the easiest one!

Cheers!

Deborah on October 29, 2009 at 2:12 AM said...

Your cookies are awesome. I am going to have to make those for the Halloween party this weekend. Thank you so much for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I have been pie crust challenged all my baking life until I finally tried the frisage method this past summer. (I used Gourmet's video as my model) My pie crusts are now perfect! It not only makes a super flaky crust, it makes the dough so much easier to handle as well. Rolling it had been my main problem.

I'll have to try this recipe using the frissage method. I love shortbread, and I bet frisage does make it even better. Thanks!

veggie wedgie on October 29, 2009 at 3:58 AM said...

These really creep me out! I love it!

Dine O Mite on October 29, 2009 at 8:05 AM said...

What a great idea! I have got to make these. Good job.

Hungry Jenny on October 29, 2009 at 8:35 AM said...

Woah, those look REALLY scary - I'd be too afraid to pick one up to eat it incase it came alive, argh!

They are very cool though!

Hungry Jenny x

Ciao Chow Linda on October 29, 2009 at 10:18 AM said...

These are creepy and cool at the same time. Somebody needs a manicure.

Quinn on October 29, 2009 at 12:26 PM said...

Deb,

Whip these up for HALLOWEEN!!! You're still in time for this Saturday! Making for a party? Erm....making 100s of this might not be fun so good luck Deb!

Anonymous,

Couldn't agree with you more about the frissage technique. Ever since learning the method, rolling is a breeze, end result of crust is excellent and flaky.Definitely have made many lemon curd tarts from then on!

Veggie Wedgie,

Creeps you out? My secret confession: I had goosebumps when I took my first bite. It's the dark Muscovado, it tricked me thinking it's Christmas but I felt like a cannibal eating the fingers one after another!

Dine O Mite,

Thanks dude and love your peanut butter ice cream too. Really gotta make that someday!

Jenny,

They really looks like they'll come alive, don't they??? I thought they were drop dead cool too!

Linda,

Creep is a compliment right? Haha, somebody really needs a manicure!!!

The Little Teochew on October 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM said...

These are a scream! LOL! How original!

Quinn on October 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM said...

Thanks Ju. Do try it out on a hot summer day. This is best served very very cold!

zurin on October 29, 2009 at 11:19 PM said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! lolololol these are senssational ..you are brilliant!! fantastic, super duper....good job i bet no one has thought of this! tq for making me laugh. m ging to show this to my sons lol

Quinn on October 30, 2009 at 12:20 AM said...

Zurin, thank you. Just so you know, your comment made my day and definitely made me laugh out loud to!

Spryte on October 30, 2009 at 4:28 AM said...

Those are the most finger-y looking finger cookies I've ever seen!

fairy_mi on October 30, 2009 at 8:21 AM said...

ohhhhh those are just amazing!
what a great idea, very creative,
and the result is so cool!
Happy Halloween! :)

Quinn on October 30, 2009 at 8:56 AM said...

Spryte,

Happy Halloween and thanks I thought the fingers was a little flat compared to before they were baked!

fairy_mi,

I really heart your blog but it's in Thai (I think!). All your bakings look so cool espeially the macaroons and you think my easy peas fingers are cooler than your macaroons? NO WAY!!!!

cariso on October 31, 2009 at 6:04 PM said...

This is awesome! Very geli.....:)

Quinn on October 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM said...

Haha Cariso, I agree. See also geli imagine the person eating it!

rdugonnaeatthat on November 8, 2009 at 10:34 AM said...

those look great. Would love to give them a try...

Quinn on November 8, 2009 at 12:52 PM said...

Tony & Julia,

Thank you and I'm happy you think they look gret. Give it a shot and you'll not regret. It only makes a dozen anyway....no harm trying!


Cheers!

Coffee and Vanilla on December 31, 2009 at 8:24 AM said...

Wow, they look really scary! :) Great job!

Have a wonderful New Year's!!

Margot

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez