Thursday, November 19, 2009

All about plating up Tiramisu Verrines!

Posted by Quinn at Thursday, November 19, 2009




Had about 1/2 cup of Mascarpone left in the fridge from making Bailey's Ice Cream last night. Couldn't resist making tiramisu. After all, it's been a long time since I last made one.

This time around it's a little different. I wanted something more dense and rich with Mascarpone and sabayon only; which means no cloying cream in this one at all. And I'm getting sick of accumulating too much egg white so I use one whole egg and decided we could do with egg white foam.

Yes it's raw buy my egg is dead fresh. I got it off the shelf and they just came in today. I don't rear chicken at the back of my house so this is as fresh as I could get. Heck, so be it!

I decided to play around with the plating this time. I estimated I would probably yield 4 verrines so I took out a couple of glasses I would like to present them in. I also separated the layers.

I made the sabayon cream and chill that well. I whisk my Mascarpone until smooth and soften up to a smooth mass. I whipped the egg white until foamy and set that aside as well. And finally, I prepared my coffee-Marsala soaking mixture. So, yeah...everything was practically separated so obviously I couldn't help doing one deconstructive plating of Tiramisu could I? Talking about Tiramisu, I gave this to Sammi and conversation followed as below:

Sammi: Thanks but what's this? (Pointed to plate)

There are way too many components on the plate so I said:

Quinn: That's Sabayon cream with a little egg white foam, and that's the Mascarpone in it's purest form, and that's the coffee-wine in the shot glass and the sponge finger! (Pointing and describing)

Sammi: Sounds like Tiramisu....

Quinn: Speechless.....Heck, yeah, it is Tiramisu Sam!


I don't know what was I thinking but at that very moment, I didn't thought it was Tiramisu after deconstructing them. I don't know whether people do deconstructive plating for Tiramisu but I thought they look fine to me.

Next up, I quite like this one in Martini glass I would say. I thought they look like butterfly with wings spread open. It's really easy. I just simply soak the sponge fingers in the coffee and place them in the glass, leaning against the wall of the glass. Dollop a little Mascarpone and swirl in the Sabayon and finally, finish it off with a dollop of egg white foam and thoroughly dust it with cocoa.


Yes the Mascarpone was rather thick and creamy so it is totally alright if you wanna add in a little whipped cream to loosen up the stiff cheese a little but I wanted a cream-free tiramisu this time around.

It' s really very flexible so just do what you like!


I hated this one below the most really. One flaw, it would have looked way so much better had I broken the finger in half. There's just too much sponge finger protruding from the glass, not to mention I accidentally bought the jumbo size one so they look really clumsy!


It's all Aaron's fault. He's weird, he likes the fingers a lot he could eat them plain. He kept saying he wants more finger base and less creamy mixture so this is totally meant for him!

Finally, when you are about to clean up and are down to the last one, simply mix and scrap everything into one big bowl and whisk them into submission! Everything includes foamy egg white, Sabayon and Mascarpone!


Soak one or two or three (Aaron is crazy!) jumbo fingers in the remaining coffee mixture and smashed them up to bits. Layer them into a large champagne glass, starting with a crazily thick layer of fingers, followed by filling and a generous dusting of cocoa and repeat another two or three layers like me if you're trying to stuff everything in a final verrines!

Not like I complain licking them off the spoon or whisk. It's just that it is a rather warm day so everything was pretty much at room temperature rather quickly. It obviously doesn't help with the egg white foam turning watery faster than I could put up all verrines together and snap all these shots to share with you! Am I superb or what, you tell me!


And yes, I prefer licking them off whisk if they're very well chilled. The eggy taste was quite dominant when it's at room temperature. Perhaps, there's just way toooooo little sugar in there. I didn't wanna mask the excellent creamy texture with sugar you see so I might just omit the egg white all in all next time! A little is good but too much is not. Note, only the verrine where I stir everything together has a strong eggy taste. For the rest, a dollop of foam goes a long way i terms of taste and elegance!


Recipe
Tiramisu Verrines (makes 4 to 5 really small dessert size verrines)

Sabayon Cream:

1 egg yolk
2 tbsp vanilla castor sugar
2 tbsp Marsala Wine

Whisk the above over Bain-Marie. Having experience these, I can quite confidently tell you people to turn on the heat to the maximum and whisk like mad dog for 5mins or so. It thickens up instantly and when freeze for 10mins, it's the perfect consistency. Thick, gooeey, ribbony and all that you want in a Sabayon cream!

Coffee-Marsala Soaking Mixture:

4 tbsp strong coffee, cooled
3 tbsp Marsala Wine

Combine the above together in a large shallow dish.

Egg White Foam:

1 fresh egg white, whipped till stiff peak with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to stabilize air bubbles

Mascarpone cheese:

1/2 cup or approximately 125g of Mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup of cream, whipped till soft (optional but if I were to add, this is the amount I would use!)

Stir the Mascarpone in a large bowl until it's softened and smooth. Fold in the whipped cream if using.

Assemble everything in separate layers into tall glasses and serve. Use as much sponge fingers as you like or when you ran out of coffee, you know it's time to stop dipping more!

Enjoy Tiramisu in a whole new way!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments on "All about plating up Tiramisu Verrines!"

Jaslyn on November 19, 2009 at 2:27 AM said...

I have this silly question.. How do you whip/beat cream from liquid form till stiff/fluffy? I tried once (whipping cream) and it was splashing all over the place and it didn't foam up nicely... Only some of it and there were some milky liquid left behind.

What did I do wrong? :(

petite nyonya on November 19, 2009 at 3:12 AM said...

Just lovely!! I absolutely love tiramisu and don't mind having it in any way or shape at all!

Quinn on November 19, 2009 at 10:20 AM said...

You need an electric mixer for this Jaslyn. Unless you have really strong arms, there's no way you can whip liquid cream to soft peak cream, don't mention stiff peak cream!

Make sure you chill the cup and the beater and the cream well before starting to beat. Saves you a lot of time.

Yours are still liquidy because you did not whip long enough or you overwhip it already. Overwhipping causes cream to separate to chunky lumps which are butter and milky liquid which are essentially buttermilk.

It's a fine line between overwhipping and a stiff peak.

Cheers!

Anncoo on November 19, 2009 at 11:28 AM said...

I like the way you present these~look classic :)

Quinn on November 19, 2009 at 2:57 PM said...

Petite Nyonya and Anncoo: Thanks! I like Tiramisu a lot too!

zurin on November 22, 2009 at 3:09 AM said...

The tiramisu looks so YUM Quinn. :))

btw Quinn, I ve been wanting to make those curry chicken buns that u posted sometime back...but each time I decide to make them I remember that I need to make the starter and to make the starter I need to bring the mixture to a temp of 65 degrees ( or something around there right?) But I dont have a thermometer at the moment. (I lost mine or misplaced it)

So...question is...does the temperature need to be exact? or is there another way I can make sure that the temperature is ok Or do I really need to get a thermometer? (everytime I go out I 4get all about getting one and only remember wen Im back home)

thanx :))) cant wait to make those buns!

Quinn on November 22, 2009 at 1:08 PM said...

Zu,

Thanks. The tiramisu was indeed delicious.

I don't have a kitchen thermometer too and no, you really don't need one for this. According to many many of my reliable readings, when you bring the starter to cook, it comes to 65C when you take a whisk and scrap the base of the pan, it leaves a distinct trail behind. Then you are done.

Erm, is that somewhat helpful?

zurin on November 23, 2009 at 3:11 AM said...

oh thanks Quinn! thats good...at least I can 4get about getting a thermometer.

I suppose by 'trail' you mean a scraped mark right? (I can be quite slow sometimes.) heh

msjvd said...

Q,
Great interesting deconstruction of Tiramisu.
FYI, eggs don't have to be old, outdated, or left out to contain salmonella. The USDA has discovered that a sizable percentage of eggs contain the bacteria when they are laid. So... be careful there. You probably can handle a little bout of food poisoning. It might not even effect you. But take care in serving it to any kids under 5 or 7, as well as to elderly people or those with crashing immune systems.

I have to go find something sweet to eat now. :P

Quinn on November 23, 2009 at 11:36 AM said...

Hi Zurin,

Haha, yes I meant scraped mark when I said trail. Have fun kneading bread!

msjvd,

Yeah I agree bout the egg issue. I used to be really paranoid about it but seeing I'm alright after doing it a few times, I became less cautious. Nevertheless, I'm serving this to all adults in 20-s so yeah, thanks for the reminder!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez