Sunday, November 22, 2009

Easy Peasy Cake Pops

Posted by Quinn at Sunday, November 22, 2009

If you guys did follow my other frozen treat postings on PerfectScoops, you'll know that I've quite a fair amount of dry chocolate cake left from making Cappuccino Ice Cream Cakes. They are crumbly, not sweet but very chocolatey.


I've turned them into these little cake pops. They are so easy and I don't even need a recipe! Of course, the concept itself was introduced by the infamous Bakerella here. But I don't have time for all the artsy fatsy stuffs with Christmas deco and Easter theme.

I need these quick for a drink party night in Adrienne's place. So embarrassed to say we arrive exceptionally late because Aaron was working night shift that day. But I know these cake pops wow-ed the crowd and totally make up for our lateness!

Some tips I'd like to share with you all. Aunty Yochana uses a bucket of uncooked rice to let fondant on her cookies dry out. But you need long and many wooden skewers for that. Bakerella uses styrofoam boxes which could be hard to come by and sometimes, prices could be rather steep. I don't even have lollipop sticks! All I did was to cut each wooden skewers in 4 short pieces and use that as my lollipop sticks. I let them semi-dry out on a colander. All you really need is a colander! Look at how beautiful it works.


Pardon the picture above. I took it last night while trying to show you how easy a colander can support all your cake pops. I brought all over to Adrienne's palce and save 8 for us. As for recipe, all I did was to defrost the frozen cake in the microwave. Pulse them until very fine in a food processor. Add enough ganache (1 part cream to one part chocolate) to bind them together. Then use a melon baller (yes, my melon baller is so versatile and has served me for a good year and many more years to come!) to get even shapes. Roll them lightly in between my palms. Push a wooden skewer through the centre of each and freeze it while I quickly clean up my kitchen counter for the next step!

I find microwaving chocolate will not work here. You need flowy chocolate to coat and really, melting chocolate ala Bain-Marie not only gives you glossy chocolate but they stay melted for quite sometime even after you turn off the heat. So coat the cake pops in good quality melted chocolate (Homebrand chocolate chips just wouldn't work, I've tried!) and let it semi dry, suspended on the colander. Work with 10 cake pops at one go.


For coatings, I've used dessicated coconuts, 100's & 1000's and toasted crushed pepitas, just for the colour and contrast. I left some plain because by the time I want to roll them in the coating, they are all fully dried and as hard as rock. Oh well, I get 4 variations then, no complain!


I made approximately 28 cake pops so you could imagine how messy kitchen was. Thanks to my manual dishwasher, I can quickly go shower, catch a quick dinner and spend the night in Adrienne's place, catching up, sipping on Irish Cream liqueur, awesome!

Will I make a chocolate cake and smash it just for this? NO! Leftover chocolate cake with buttercream frosting or ganache works fine too, I've tried it before. It's very versatile and looks cute so make some today!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments on "Easy Peasy Cake Pops"

Anncoo on November 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM said...

So creative and clever :D But how do you pack these and bring to your friend house?

Von on November 22, 2009 at 7:33 PM said...

Yummm....These look fantastic! I've always wanted to make cake pops but have never gotten around to it...The colander idea is so smart! Although I don't think we have one....haha

Quinn on November 22, 2009 at 10:05 PM said...

Anncoo,

The coating is pure chocolate not ganache and we all know chocolate hardens upon freezing. I flash freeze these and bring them over in a container. The coating is stuck to the chocolate, they won't come off easily.

Von,

Thanks! Should make some really. I've procrastinated since last year and they look really impresive. And no colander in the kitchen???? Go invest in one, you'll find it handy really!

celine on November 23, 2009 at 12:49 AM said...

been wanting to make this a while ... but yet to do cos i imagine that it will be very messy. do manual dishwasher to clean up.

cookies and cups on November 23, 2009 at 8:12 AM said...

Great idea. I always have no idea how to display these! Thanks!

Lucy on November 23, 2009 at 9:29 AM said...

These cake pops are so pretty - I love this idea! They look so delicous :)

Quinn on November 23, 2009 at 2:55 PM said...

Celine & Lucy, Thanks!

Cookies and cups, now you know you can put your colander to full use!

Mrs Erg├╝l on November 23, 2009 at 8:02 PM said...

This is a very smart idea! Thanks for sharing!

Quinn on November 23, 2009 at 8:27 PM said...

You're very much welcome Mrs. Ergul!
Try making these when you have leftover cakes. Any cakes would do really!

Chocolate Shavings on November 25, 2009 at 5:54 AM said...

Your post just reminded me that I have a pack of lollipop sticks waiting to be turned into cake pops!

Quinn on November 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM said...

Chocolate Shavings,

Now you know what to do with your lollipop sticks. Cheesecake pops work great too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez