Monday, November 23, 2009

French Apple Tart with Chai Ice Cream

Posted by Quinn at Monday, November 23, 2009


I can't seem to find any recipe that pairs the two together so I thought I'll do it. After all, why not? There is something very magical about cinnamon and Chai and they'll bring you to heaven when eaten together.

This French Apple Tart, I make the pastry using wholemeal flour. Seeing the amount of butter that goes in, I thought we could all be a little more healthier and do without the frangipane cream seeing the amount of butter dotted over the tart before baking and the butter used in the pastry itself. But really, there can never be too much butter.


I have used Alice Water's Pate Brisee here republished by Smitten Kitchen. I substituted wholemeal flour in place of flour and half the recipe given to fit my 8'' tart tin. I didn't go galette style because halving the recipe gives me just enough dough to line the sides and base of tart tin.


I chop up 3 to 4 medium sized apples and arrange them in the tart tin. I then simply sprinkle over less than a tablespoon of sugar over the apples and crust. Dot lots of butter here and there and I've put in a pinch of cinnamon to bring out the flavour so it pair better with Chai Ice Cream.

And the Chai Ice cream....what have I got to say really.... luscious, smooth, strong Chai tea flavour. Tea and sugar and spice is very, very nice...the Indians were onto a wonderful thing when they first dreamed up Chai!

Anyway, while the tart is baking, I place all the cores and peels from the apples and bring it to boil with little sugar and water. It caramelized till pretty thick. Seeing that there's not much of sheen in Deb's tart, I added a little apricot preserve into the apple syrup and brush that all over the baked tart including the crust of the tart.


Serve a slice of this warm tart with little balls of the Chai Ice Cream and close your eyes, eat and savor every bite and mouthful! You're already in heaven!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments on "French Apple Tart with Chai Ice Cream"

Anncoo on November 23, 2009 at 11:50 PM said...

Good Job, Quinn :) Nothing is waste here. I saw this "Chai" in some Baking book but never try it yet. Must try one day.

cariso on November 24, 2009 at 12:21 AM said...

This looks really yummy! Great work!

ahunterofpeace on November 24, 2009 at 3:57 AM said...

Do you have a recipe for the Chai Ice Cream or is that something you bought?

ABowlOfMush on November 24, 2009 at 5:31 AM said...

Such a delicious and beautiful dessert! From the apple tart to the chai ice cream, its just the most gorgeous combination!

Your photography is stunning :)

Quinn on November 24, 2009 at 11:16 AM said...

Anncoo, yeah I live Chai and it's really good. You should try it some day!

Thanks Cariso!

ABowlOfMush, I've still got a lot to learn from photography but thanks anyway and I'll take credit for the great combination of flavors! :p

ahunterofpeace, the Chai Ice Cream is homemade and I forgot to add the link here. It's in the post already in red but here it is anyway:

http://perfectscoops.blogspot.com/2009/11/chai-ice-cream.html

I separated my postings into 3 sections, frozen treats, baking and desserts and my cooking. It's all at the sidebar. Happy finding!

Cheers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez