Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Grissini

Posted by Quinn at Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I like these very much. These are called Grissini, Italian crispy bread sticks. I first tried them in Kuala Lumpur in a high end restaurant. They serve this as appetizer. They are served exactly like these, in a tall glass, right smack at the centre of a round table.


They are good to munch on just by itself or sometimes, I make these when I am having cream of mushroom soup for dinner. They act as a stirrer in my hot chocolate too. In that case, I would usually leave them plain.

Here, I've used black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, parsley, mixed herbs, oregano and thyme. I did not glaze them. I thought they look very good just by itself with no sheen whatsoever.

I adapted the recipe from Agnes Chang book, I Can Bake. As silly as the title of the book may sound, I've made lots of breads and buns from this book and they all turn out very good. Agnes bakings are all typical things you would find in an Asian bread shop. I like them especially when I am here in Adelaide and things like chicken floss bun could cost 3 to 4 dollars just for one.

Finally, I like this recipe because it does not call for much proofing time, though proofing it for 15mins or so helps a lot because when you roll them out into long sticks, it will not shrink back much. Here's the recipe and it is so so so, I cannot tell you how easy they are!


Grissini (Crispy Italian Bread Sticks)

125g bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp instant dried yeast

Whisk the above well.

70ml water
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp EVOO

Scattering:

Parsley
Thyme
Oregano
Mixed herbs
Black sesame seeds
White sesame seeds

Combine the liquids in a spouted cup and pour them into the flour mixture. Briefly knead with hands for 10mins or so until smooth and elastic. Cover dough with a damp, clean cloth and let it rest for 10 mins.

Knead again for 10mins and divide them int 10g pieces. I yield about 22 pieces. Here, Agnes ask to roll them into long sticks but I cover these individual balls with damp cloth and let it rest another 15 mins. They don't shrink back at all when I roll them into longish shape after that. Your choice!

After 15 mins, roll them into long sticks. The longer and thinner they are, the crispier they are so roll them long! Work with one stick at a time, covering the rest in damp cloth. When longish, scatter a little of your choice of scattering around the stick and roll the stick around to pick up the scatterings. If it doesn't stick, sprinkle a little water over the sticks but they usually stick very well.

It won't take up much time really so repeat that 20 times and place them on a greased and floured tray, about 2cm apart. Bake them in a preheated oven at 200C for 15-20 mins until they are dry and golden brown.

Remove from the oven and cool before serving. Easy and done!


makes approximately 20 bread sticks

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments on "Grissini"

PabloLoveFood said...

hmm....sounds like a good snack for me in front of my TV! =)

Anncoo on November 25, 2009 at 2:23 AM said...

Ooh...Tried this before in Italian restaurant. I think you can start to open a bakery shop :)

Quinn on November 25, 2009 at 10:03 PM said...

PabloLoveFood, thanks! I much on this everytime I walk to the kitchen too because it's just on the table and easily accesible!

Ann, cannot open bakery shop....all these are home baking, if commercialized, I'm sure I cannot handle :)

petite nyonya on November 27, 2009 at 11:26 PM said...

You know what?! I too never have any luck in lucky draws or giftaways. Haha. Nevermind, hopefully good luck will come your way the next round because I really find your comment on my earlier Christmas gift-away post very cute!

Thanks for sharing this grissini recipe. I know of Agnes Chang's book too but since I have so many recipe books already, I try not to buy some more. The benefit of blogging is we can get free recipes which we've always wanted, so thanks much!! ;-) I love grissini with a hot bowl of cioppino soup.

Quinn on November 28, 2009 at 12:19 AM said...

Hi Petite Nyonya!

Haha, I thought I was rather not ashamed to have asked you to 'pick me! pick me!' and I thought it's picked by you personally, didn't know it'll be random!

Yeah, I too love grissini for its versatility. May you resume blogging and settle down real soon!

Cheers!

zurin on November 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM said...

The bread sticks look good Quinn!Im going to make some too. they looks so neat and nice to nibble on when hungry without having to use a plate! Oh you apple tart looks YUM espm with the ice cream next to it!!:)

petite nyonya on November 28, 2009 at 4:59 PM said...

Hehe, you're so funny! ;). Thks, hope I'll settle down smoothly and quickly too.

Quinn on November 28, 2009 at 6:01 PM said...

Zu, did I mention I made Grissini because your seawed sticks reminded me of Grissini and it's been ages since I last made some! Thanks, apple tart and ice cream was polished by just the two of us in two days, what does that tells you?

Little Nyonya, You'll be fine in settling down, I assure you.

Karine on November 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM said...

These look so cute and delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Nostalgia on December 4, 2009 at 1:00 PM said...

Now that is quite someething.. looks yummy

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez