Sunday, November 15, 2009

Monthly Mingle: Condensed Milk Pound Cake with Vanilla Gelato

Posted by Quinn at Sunday, November 15, 2009

I'm back and exams are over!!!!! I am a free person now. I'm glad I made it in time for this month's Monthly Mingle themed Brunch!


At first I wanted to make a 'brunch with crunch' just so it rhymes. I thought of granola, weet-bix, roasted pecans and something to do with lavender. Sounds like a good combination but I just finished my exam so please spare me some time from recipe developing and being creative. All I need is a quick fix and yes, I have very sweet tooth to have chose this Condensed Milk Pound Cake by Pichet Ong as my brunch.

I like these, they are not overly sweet. Well, technically, I've only ate the cake batter, licking it off my spatula before washing. They are still in the oven. I love doing midnight baking. It's cooler at night and if I were to do another baking during the day with housemates around, they will yelp at me for making the already very hot kitchen hotter. Can you imagine? If I were to use the oven depending on weather, I guess I'll never be baking anything every 6 months out of a year really....

I top it with a generous scoop of vanilla gelato. It totally paired well with this fusion and very vanilla pound cake. Everything is vanilla about this brunch. The cake uses vanilla sugar and vanilla bean and the gelato contains just simply 3 ingredients and you could make it in no time, plain whole milk, vanilla sugar and vanilla bean paste. Hop over to my other frozen treat blog for recipe!
While I like how rustic pound cake look with a long crack on the cake surface, I do not want them here this time around because I want a flat smooth surface to do this top view picture for you all. I kinda like doing bird's eye view shots nowadays because it shows everything I need to show you in one shot and the ample sunlight nowadays nearing to summer gives it a perfect finish without any editing needed.

I made a very small loaf with this and fill up the rest of the batter to make 3 medium sized muffins. I have only made two-third of the original recipe because I've only got exactly 1/2 cup of condensed milk left.

I like Pichet Ong. I can't believe I have his book around for so long and never make anything from his book. I am too obsessed with Tessa people. I'm currently very into her fourth book, Piri Piri Starfish. A lot of cooking requiring chourico but I've substituted with chorizo and they're equally as good too. I so need to update my CookingQuinn I know! This book by Pichet Ong, it's called the The Sweet Spot. The picture at the front cover, it's a Sake-Sauteed Plums with Ginger and Star Anise is so so so alluring and all the recipes are definitely intriguing with a twist of Asian in it. Duhhh.... it says Asian-inspired desserts at the front cover too.

I gotta try that sake plum someday and also a twinkie cupcake with lemon curd! He made it look so good in the book! And dragonfruit devil choc cake. Is that awesome or what? Pichet is gifted, seriously. Anyway, I just went and checked on my cake in the oven and damn! It cracked a little.!I should have scooped out more batter. Anyway, here comes the recipe:

Pichet suggested to serve this with a condensed milk chantilly but I find it too overpowering because the condensed milk flavour was indeed rather dominant. And he also suggested macerated berries. If you've been following my posts, you know Aaron. Yes, he has issues with berries, even macerated! But he absolutely love the pound cake. He has a very Asian taste bud really....

CHEF’S TIP: This pound cake keeps well, tightly wrapped, for up to 1 week at room temperature or up to 2 months in the freezer.


Condensed Milk Pound Cake (One complete recipe, not the two-third one I've used)

1 cup (8 ounces/226 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup + 1/3 cup (7 ounces/200 grams) all-purpose flour
3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 cup (3+ 3⁄4 ounces/106 grams) sugar (I use vanilla castor sugar)
1 vanilla bean, chopped, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I use vanilla paste here)
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
3⁄4 cup (81⁄2 ounces/239 grams) sweetened condensed milk
3 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 325°F/ 165°C. Generously butter an 81⁄2 × 41⁄2-inch loaf pan and set aside. Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside.

Put the sugar and the chopped vanilla bean, if using, in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulse until the vanilla bean is finely ground. Sift through a fine-mesh sieve and return the sugar mixture to the food processor. If not using the vanilla bean, just put the sugar in the processor.

Add the butter and salt and process until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl occasionally. Add the condensed milk and pulse until well incorporated, about 15 times, scraping down the sides of the bowl once.

Add the sifted dry ingredients and pulse until no traces of flour remain, about 10 times. Add the eggs and pulse just until combined, about 5 times. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, add the vanilla extract, if using, and finish mixing by hand to fully incorporate the eggs.

Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Bake until the top is dark golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool completely in the loaf pan on a rack, then unmold.

Slice it up and serve with either macerated berries or Creme Chantilly or just top it off with a scoop of vanilla gelato and serve it at anytime of the day!

Thanks Meeta of What's for Lunch Honey in organizing this monthly event. Love the virtual party!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments on "Monthly Mingle: Condensed Milk Pound Cake with Vanilla Gelato"

petite nyonya on November 16, 2009 at 2:30 AM said...

Ahh! Condensed milk pound cake. Sounds perfect with tea or coffee! Very clever to serve it with ice cream too!

Velva on November 16, 2009 at 4:32 AM said...

Glad your exams are over! This condensed milk pound cake looks absolutely delicious!. Very tasty.

MeetaK on November 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM said...

I am loving the sound of this! Condensed Milk must make it lovely and moist! So perfect for the brunch! Thanks!

Quinn on November 16, 2009 at 8:58 PM said...

Petite Nyonya:Yeah, the condensed milk pound cake is so good by itself we just ate it plain towards the end. It's not dry but the gelato is light and refreshing. I like how they complimented each other's existence!

Velva: I am also very glad my exams are over. This is a real keeper for pound cake so try it some day.

Meeta,
Thanks for dropping by and yeah, this is moist, not dry and dense. A very buttery goodness with strong taste and smell of condensed milk lingering!

zurin on November 17, 2009 at 1:51 AM said...

i have never heard of condesned milk pound cake.sounds delicious indeed. esp with the gelato! :))

Chocolate Shavings on November 20, 2009 at 12:16 AM said...

Condensed milk in pound cake sounds like a great idea!

Quinn on November 20, 2009 at 1:42 AM said...

Hell yeah, it is! Makes it moist and dense and brings out butter flavour better!

Joanne on December 21, 2009 at 5:11 AM said...

I LOVE your blog. You've got so much amazing food on here. Congrats on your exams being over! This looks like the perfect reward for getting through them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez