Monday, November 9, 2009

Strawberry Crowned Egg

Posted by Quinn at Monday, November 09, 2009

I hope you are not sick of desserts as of now....I've been posting so many desserts lately because these are what we ate for the past few days. There's a big project due on Monday so we practicaly live on desserts and Aaron's takeaway from his workplace.


When I made Zebra cake, I specifically cracked the eggshells nicely so I could save them for later use. I didn't have much thought back then on what to do with the eggshells. All I know was I want a dessert using these eggshells as vessels. Something creamy and filling, given the small vessel size.

And I definitely want something to do with pomegranate as well simply because they're in season and if you don't already know, November is National Pomegranate Month and I don't see them often here in Australia on normal days.

I like how these little red rubies lift up my dishes, in terms of appearance and taste. You can actually use it in savoury dishes, scatter it over your pumpkin soup with prosciutto crumbles and even use these to make gnocchi! There are endless possibillities when it comes to pomegranate.

Aaron hates munching on the seeds and because I make desserts specifically for us, I probably will not buy pomegranate much. Instead, I'll go for POM juice if I need a quick fix. They give out a deep, vibrant red in dishes and frozen treats. This post is not all about pomegranate, really....


Fancy some smooth sabayon custard, full of vanilla bean speckles and flavoured with Marsala, filled in petite egg vessels, each crowned with strawberry slices? I usually snarled in disgust when I see people add gelatine to tiramisu or zagalione/sabayon cream simply because I think it spoils the texture and all gelatine does is to make it stay in shape when sliced. For things like tiramisu, I like how mine look sloppy and deformed when sliced, else I'll make them in verrines form when I want a neat presentations.

However, for this one time, I swear by the use of gelatine. I added gelatine to my sabayon cream, sorry....but Aaron wanted something more firm when you peel the eggshells, the custard remain as whole egg shape. The gelatine is really optional. You can choose to not add it in and serve it straight with a spoon. However, if you like to still add it in and like it soft and creamy, like in my situation now (can never please everyone really, can you??? * roll eyes), eat it when it's just chilled slightly, before the gelatine takeover and solidify it.


I topped some with pomegranate seeds for myself and strawberries for Aaron but at last, I realize he dislike strawberries too! I know he dislike them so I try to find ways to sneak some into his daily intakes. Raw strawberries or visible ones are a big no no. Panna cotta, blended, pureed, strawberry soup, yes. How weird can my hot chocolate be?


Preliminary work for eggshells:
Boil the eggshells in a pot for approximately 3 minutes or so. Turn off the heat and run drain them. Run your fingers inside to cavity of the eggshells and rub it well to remove the membrane. If you're good and used to it, the membrane will come off nicely as one whole piece. Dry them on the egg cartons before filling.

Sabayon cream
Fill up 3 to 4 large eggshells

1-2 egg yolks (you don't have to be precise, 2 small yolks or 1 large yolks would do)
2 tbsp Marsala wine
5 tbsp heavy or double cream
5 tbsp whole milk
1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 tbsp vanilla castor sugar

1/2 tsp powdered gelatine
1.5 tbsp cold water

Blossom the gelatine in cold water and set aside, without stirring. Whisk the yolks with a pinch of salt, sugar and the Marsala wine until sugars are dissolved. Heat up a milk pot and place the cream and milk in it. Bring it to a simmer, scalding but not boiling. When it's almost boiling and you see steam escaping profusely from the surface, turn off the heat. Temper the cream mixture with the yolk mixture. When it's all combined, pour it back into the pot and thickened it on medium low heat. You could play safe by using the Bain-Marie style but I've drop that long ago when I realise my magic hands can cook custard and curds without scrambling them over medium direct heat. When it coats the back of a wooden spoon, remove it from the heat and stir in the gelatine paste. Stir until it's fully dissolved, If you think they're not fully dissolved yet, gently simmer them on the stove for a minute or so on lowest heat setting. Cool them for a bit and add in the vanilla bean paste. Stir to combine and pour into a spouted jug. This is to make pouring into the egg shells easier. You can skip that if you're using a spouted milk pot. Pour the sabayon cream into the prepared egg vessels, until it's 3/4 full. Let it set in the fridge, placed on the egg carton. When chilled for a couple of hours, simply crown them with thinly sliced strawberries and pomegranate, whichever desirable.


Have fun!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments on "Strawberry Crowned Egg"

Anncoo on November 9, 2009 at 5:08 PM said...

WOW! The first pic really looks like a crown...haha...and of course yummy too.

sammi_ysh on November 9, 2009 at 5:51 PM said...

Wow I didn't know you put wine in it. I couldn't tell! I like it though. :)

zurin on November 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM said...

I can't believ I missed so many of your posts!! Im going to come back after this...m cooking diner right now...

creative girl you are cream in egg shell n a topping of fruit. Yes cant please everyone can we... a perennial prblem in my household!! :)) wil be back!

Gosh My brother in law's name is ADAMA ...(the word verification down there!!)LOL

Quinn on November 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM said...

Anncoo: Thanks, I thought it really look like a crown too, hence the name strawberry crowned egg!

Sammi....I did put marsala wine inside but it wasn't strong because I didn't want it to be too overpowering like eating Tiramisu filling, glad you like it :)

The Little Teochew on November 10, 2009 at 1:32 AM said...

Oh, this is just darling!!! When I saw the last photo, I couldn't help but think "Humpty Dumpty". LOL ;) You make lovely desserts!

Quinn on November 10, 2009 at 11:23 AM said...

Zurin... I never miss your posts because I'm stalking you by following your posts! And because I like what you post too! I'm so making that sardine pasta! Blog hopping while cooking dinner? Please don't burn down the kitchen! And yes....pleasing everyone is a perrenial issue in my hosue too!!! Coincidence or what, word verification spells out your BIL's name!

Ju...Looks like humpty dumpty to you? Yeah...humpty dumpty is essentially an egg anyway. Thanks for thinking I make lovely desserts but you make lovely desserts too so thanks to you too!

Ellie on November 11, 2009 at 3:50 PM said...

This is super super cute!! So creative and awesome effort!

Quinn on November 11, 2009 at 6:58 PM said...

Thanks Ellie,some people do question why am I in engineering when I'm playing with food like that!

petite nyonya on November 12, 2009 at 3:14 AM said...

What a creative and fun way to use egg shells! Anyway, working towards your Petroleum Engineering paper?? Phew!!! Sounds like rocket science to me!! Well, you must be brilliant and all the best!

Quinn on November 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM said...

Petite Nyonya, yeah it's rather cute. I didn't do much to make it look cute. The humpty dumpty egg shell vessel does all the work. Thanks, I'll be fine for exam. Not as hard as rocket science but still hard, if you know what I mean. How I wish I am brilliant too!!! And thanks!

Cheers!

Something's Dishy on November 12, 2009 at 6:32 PM said...

That looks very pretty!

Just came across your blog. It's lovely here!

Quinn on November 12, 2009 at 6:47 PM said...

Thank you Mrs. B!

This blog is just my passion and favourite pastime when I'm not working on engineering related stuffs!

I'm glad you find my posts pretty and lovely. Have fun browsing!

Velva on November 13, 2009 at 2:02 AM said...

These are absolutely adorable! So creative and festive. Thanks for sharing.

Quinn on November 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM said...

Thank you Velva and thanks for dropping by!

Neel on November 20, 2009 at 1:56 AM said...

Very interesting concept. I just wished that for better food photos you could have 1) moved in even closer. 2) Used a distraction free background.
I think your post is amazing, and better photos would improve your website to a great degree.

What do you think:??

Quinn on November 20, 2009 at 11:34 AM said...

Neel,

I like your suggestion and cropping it and zooming it definitely looks better but I can't do much about the distracting background.Maybe the colour of the tea towel is just too dark, you think so?

Cheers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez