Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Zebra cake

Posted by Quinn at Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Admit it....you think this looks awesome and stunning! I like how I can call these marble cake when I screw up the layerings. And yes, my itchy hand just can't help but run a wooden skewers through the surface of the bullseye pattern and transform them to spiderweb instead.


Halloween is long gone and this one has no intention and nothing to do in conjunction with Halloween. I bake this as a small token of appreciation for Aaron's colleagues. We went there on my birthday last Monday and service was excellent and ambiance was great too! Not to mention, food was delish, not the greatest but definitely please many taste buds.


My dining table is not flat, I can never seem to find a flat surface everytime I needed to do layering. As a result, they're always off-centred. Not like it will affect how the cross-section look like when you slice it up but the perfectionist in me think I could have done a better job.

Rule of thumb, when you alternate the batter, try to not pour in the last bit of batter even though you badly feel like doing so. It sorta spoils it a little. See the particularly extra vanilla batter towards the centre. Make them into just one mini cupcake or just eat the batter as it is.


Yes people, I'm not crazy. It is absolutely alright to eat raw batter. Don't come to me and sound politically correct about salmonella infections and all just for once, pretty please.... Well, lemme rephrase, it is absolutely alright to eat raw batter with fresh eggs used in the process instead of age old eggs.


Anyway, I like this cake because it is not overly sweet despite the 1 cup of vanilla sugar I use. I guess my real dark organic cacao powder is real killer, it's bitter, it's rich, it's organic and it's all you want to shove into a cake batter willingly!

Also, I've been trying to play around with my silicone pan. I have emails from shy people asking me about silicone pan. I don't know is it just me or a few handfuls of you out there too experience my problem with silicone pan....when it is greased and and used as it is, cakes tend to come out with thick crust at the top and bottom and usually very brown on the circumference of the cake. I've tried it many many times and it's still the same.

This time, I took the liberty to grease it well with canola spray, line the base and sides of the cake and have the sides overhanging a little longer than necessary. The zebra cake came out moist, nice golden crust but not too thick on top and soft-like baby bottom. No burnt sides, just obvious layer of black and white streaks of beauty.

The beauty of cakes like this one, marble and pound cake is that it doens't even need the extra icing or glazing to make things a tad more glamorous. It is in its full glory when left plain. I downed this with a tall glass of cold milk.


Have you been baking a cake lately? I might stop for a month or two and just stick to cold desserts and frozen treats. It's getting rather hot lately especially since summer is approaching and spring is ending..... And I'm in Australia....great!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments on "Zebra cake"

Anncoo on November 5, 2009 at 1:13 AM said...

Happy Birthday, Quinn :) It is better late than never, right? I also love to bake zebra cake and enjoying doing the layers. Would like to see more of your desserts, must be beautiful and delicious.

Quinn on November 5, 2009 at 8:33 AM said...

Thanks Anncoo for the birthday wish! Not too late, I've yet to post up what sweet Aaron got me on my Birthday because they've yet to arrive. Yes, I said 'they'!

I'll probably be doing more desserts from now on since it's spring and summer soon, all the little floral things in life would be here; so check back often!

cherry potato on November 5, 2009 at 3:50 PM said...

蛋糕的斑马条纹很清晰,很美.看了流口水了.

Quinn on November 5, 2009 at 4:09 PM said...

Cherry potato,

Thank you. I can't read chinese but Aaron translated what you typed to me so thank you!!!!!

P/S: Aaron is from Sabah too!

cherry potato on November 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM said...

hohoho,next time I will leave my comment in english.

petite nyonya on November 6, 2009 at 1:18 AM said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! Hope you had a great one. This cake is, yes, AWESOME!! Very cool pattern!

Sean on November 6, 2009 at 2:32 AM said...

Truly stunning! I'm not a baker, so could you go into more detail about how you layered the batter so gorgeously?

veggie wedgie on November 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM said...

This is so awesome! I wanna try making it. Did you use a squeeze bottle for the chocolate batter?

Quinn on November 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM said...

Petite Nyonya: Thank you for the Birthday wish!!! And yeah, I reckon it's pretty awesome. Love your write up on 'All Things Peranakan' and yes, I'm a celup living in Australia now sad to say.....

Sean: Congratulations on the marriage and may you live happily ever after! As for details, you can see a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBZ8O1-3jKo&feature=PlayList&p=9D3CAFAEB32DA2C2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19

or using the same recipe, read this blog:

http://azcookbook.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/zebra-cake/

I usually thought video is good but for once, I like this step-by-step blog post.


Cheers!

Quinn on November 6, 2009 at 12:52 PM said...

Nina,

Nope, I didn't use a squeeze bottle this time around. The last time I use one, my zebra pattern wasn't even and it didn't look that attractive in the eyes of a perfectionist me!

I would prefer measuring 3tbsp each time until half the batter is used up, the cut down to 2 tbsp alternatively until very little batter is left, I would then just use 1 tbsp of each batter, beginning and ending with plain batter.

Sounds tough but it's as easy as peanut really!


Cheers!

petite nyonya on November 9, 2009 at 2:47 AM said...

So are you part Peranakan too? Thanks for liking my Peranakan write up. So much I wanna do - on the kebaya, tableware etc. Need to go back to Malacca & do my research, but so hard to find the time for it.

Quinn on November 9, 2009 at 9:57 AM said...

Petite Nyonya,

Yes I am... :) I would love to know more about my history, you know how we Peranakan always have interesting histories.

Unfortunately, my grandma was the 3rd concubine back then in a rich family, same goes to her mother and they never ever wanna talk about Malacca and be reminded of how badly they were treated back then.

I always asked but they get hurt so I stopped asking...all I know is grandma didn't like mum back then cuz she's not a Peranakan so yeah, that's how we became celup...and I have a batu giling in my house and my granny, she cooks the best ayam buah keluak ever!!! I can never cook that and I can't seem to find buah keluak here in Australia.

Take your time, can't wait for more write-up from you.

Cheers!

zurin on November 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM said...

you made the zebra cake perfectly! very very Lovely. :))

Quinn on November 10, 2009 at 11:36 AM said...

Thanks, I thought it wasn't perfect enough though! It was a little assymmetrical

Sarah on August 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM said...

Hey. I love what you did with this. The skewer worked its magic on top. Haha. Pretty and pretty yummy looking too. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi
Do you still have the recipe (or link) to this cake. As the URL you posted no longer exists?

Quinn on December 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM said...

Anon,

See this: http://kopiaste.org/2009/09/theres-a-zebra-in-my-kitchen/

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez