Thursday, December 31, 2009

Donna Hay's Chocolate Mud Cake

Posted by Quinn at Thursday, December 31, 2009

I'm blogging from McDonald's now. I'm gonna be back in Adelaide real soon!!! Just waiting for the time to go to the airport. The budget hotel kicked us out at 10am sharp because that's the usual check out time for budget hotels apparently. This chocolate mud cake by Donna Hay is what I’ve made for Christmas. Nothing but good shout outs! You probably gotta make this on the day you will be serving it because mine was a little on the dry side and required microwaving for a minute.

This is so rich I’d say it serves more than 10. I served 15 with this for a 4 course meals, where this came out last. So, everyone had a small slice and not feel bloated. And I make the cake as it is but I added the zest of 2 tangerines. And a small opppsie, I ran out of baking powder. I use double-action baling powder and proceed with fingers crossed. It’s Christmas, I can’t possible buy baking powder anywhere now!

Also, instead of 9’’ round tin, I used a 10’’ springform pan so I get a real flat cake and I wasn’t particular with the height of the cake. It came out really flat, just how I like it with just a tiny small crack. That didn’t bother me much really. I was happy! Dusted it with a layer of thick good quality cocoa powder followed by a layer of snow powder. It’s Christmas and it’s hot in Australia so let it snow all over the mud cake!

In my next post, I’ll show how I plated up this dessert. This is so good; it is tangy, zesty, chocolaty, rich, dense, fudgy, tangerine-y and muddy! I hope everyone had a great Christmas and great shopping day on Boxing Day and of course a great new year to come!

Chocolate Mud Cake
(Adapted and modified from Ellie of Almost Bourdain and she in return adapted it from Donna Hay Chocolate Cookbook)

375g butter, softened
1 1/3 cup brown sugar (I us dark muscovado sugar)
3 large eggs
Zest of 2 tangerines
300g plain flour, sifted once
1/2 tsp baking powder (I substituted with double-action baking powder)
80g cocoa powder, pass through a tea strainer
200g good quality bitter dark chocolate, melted over a double boiler
3/4 cup (180 ml / 6 fl oz) milk

Method
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease a 10'' springform pan and line the bottom and sides with baking paper. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes, or until the mixture is light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Add in the zest and beat again.

Fold through the flour, baking powder, cocoa and melted chocolate and stir in the milk. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 75 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in tin completely.

To serve, see here.

Serves 10-15 as dessert

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments on "Donna Hay's Chocolate Mud Cake"

Cuisine Paradise on December 31, 2009 at 8:14 PM said...

Wow....Happy Holiday Quinn!!!! Enjoy yourself and we will look forward to your on coming recipe soon :p

Take care!!!! Enjoy!

Dodol & Mochi on December 31, 2009 at 11:08 PM said...

This cake looks decadent!

Happy New Year to you!

Pei-Lin

Anncoo on January 1, 2010 at 1:23 AM said...

Hello Quinn,
Happy New year and wishing you all the best for the coming year.

ICook4Fun on January 1, 2010 at 4:39 AM said...

Wishing you & your family all the best for the coming year 2010

petite nyonya on January 1, 2010 at 10:32 PM said...

Happy New Year and best wishes to you and your sweetheart! :)I miss all your baking goodies. Will catch up on them soon!

Ellie on January 2, 2010 at 11:19 AM said...

Lovely mud cake! Glad you like it! Thanks for the mention :) Happy new year!

Quinn on January 2, 2010 at 2:19 PM said...

Ellena: Happy New Year to you too! And I do look forward to more recipes from you too! Yours are always healthy and colourful! Very appetizing!

All the best to you too for the coming year Anncoo and Gertrude! Stay healthy!

Petite Nyonya! You are back in kl already? I hope you are all settled and good and happy new year to you!

Thanks Ellie, I really like it and no worries about the mention!

Quinn on January 2, 2010 at 2:20 PM said...

Happy New Year Pei Lin and yeah, this is decadent and as rich as my Flourless Chocolate Cake!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez