Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Flourless Chocolate Cake Revisit

Posted by Quinn at Tuesday, December 22, 2009


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here is one flourless chocolate cake for all of you all! To give it a Chrismassy touch, I've dusted snow powder all over it. It's a hot summer Christmas here, I really shouldn't be baking too much and heat up the already very hot kitchen.

This one is baked in conjunction with a friend's house warming. I serve this with Philadelphia Style Ice Cream. I wish I could take a picture of the cake when it's sliced and when it is served. That dollop of ice cream sitting snuggly next to that slice of rich and dense cake was just so good looking!

The picture above is a sign I need a new camera. I'm not entirely exhausted with Aaron's camera yet but I feel I need one better one myself. Then you could have seen a better shot of how it looks when it is snowing on cakes.

Flourless cakes...I've been making quite a lot of old revisit lately and this one is the fourth time I'm making this, after many attempts of failed shots because I bake them at night. They simply taste better and more moist the day after!

And the colour of the cake very much depends on the type of chocolate you use. You'll generally get a darker cake if you use a higher percent of cocoa content in a chocolate bar. I always reccomend Lindt's 90%, the goodness and richness....

Recipe time..... I adapted this cake from Exclusively Food. This is the only recipe I'll make over and over again....Here is the recipe:


Flourless Chocolate Cake
(serves 8 or more, gluten-free)

1 tsp instant coffee powder, dissolved in 1 tsp hot water 1 tsp vanilla essence 100g chopped butter 150g good quality dark chocolate

Melt the above over direct medium heat until it is all melted. Cool it down. While that is happening, preheat the oven to 180
°C. Line and grease the bottom and sides of an 8'' (20cm) round springform pan.


4 large eggs 12 tbsp castor sugar

Separate the eggs. In a large clean bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peak, while gradually adding in 6 tbsp of sugar. Stop beating when you get a meringue looking batter that dollops over when you turn your electric beater upside down.

In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks wiht remaining 6 tbsp sugar using an electric mixer, until it is pale, thick and creamy in colour. Gently fold in the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg yolk batter. Now comes the beautiful moment, add 200g almond meal to the batter and fstir it in gently. You might wanna make sure it is lump-free before hand.

Spoon approximately a third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it a bit. You can be a little vigorous here since you really just want to lighten up the batter. However, the remaining egg whites need to be folded in in 2 parts and gently using a rubber spatula, doing the cutting through the middle, scrap around and folding any batter from the bottom up and repeat and repeat again until you see no egg whites streaks left, you get the idea...come on!

Pour the luscious batter into the prepared pan and bake it for 40 minutes. Remove it from the oven and cover it with a clean tea towel. Let it cool in the pan, covered, overnight.

When serving, slice the cake into 8 or 12 slices since it is rather rich. The inside should be dense and fudgy looking. Serve with Philadelphia Style Ice Cream.

I'm not sure if I can update from now till after Christmas. I'm rather tied down really. Christmas shopping tomorrow, preparations and baking for two Christmas dinners on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day itself and I'm off to Canberra with Aaron on Boxing day for a getaway. I'll be back only on the 31st December and I have a party again on New Year day itself. Yes, I'm a busy woman!

Till then, again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments on "Flourless Chocolate Cake Revisit"

Dodol & Mochi on December 22, 2009 at 6:02 AM said...

Hmmm... Have been wanting to try flourless cakes ... Never got around to do so ... Thanks for reminding me! Yours looks scrumptious & decadent!

Pei-Lin

Anncoo on December 22, 2009 at 4:31 PM said...

Merry Christmas to you, Quinn.

Ju (The Little Teochew) on December 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM said...

Beautiful cake!! The crisp, crackling top is gorgeous!

zurin on December 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM said...

Oh My Quinn u have done so much! this is excellent...looks like a souffle! beautiful!! I must note the recipe for this ..it looks very elegant. :) thanx

pigpigscorner on December 26, 2009 at 7:28 AM said...

Beautiful! Love flourless cakes, the texture is just so different from cakes with flour.

Rosalind on January 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM said...

Gluten-free ... yum! I hope you had a good Christmas. Friends here were kind enough to bake some gluten-free goodies for me here. I'm having a good break now and enjoying catching up on a few blogs etc.

Regards,

Rosalind

Quinn on January 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM said...

Pei Lin, you really gotta try flourless chocolate cake. They are so decandent you won't know you're missing out flour. And you are missing something in life if you give this a miss!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Anncoo!

Thanks Ju! Yeah, the centre of the cake just sort of sunk in, I think it's a beautiful characteristic of flourless and tortes!

Zu: The cake looks just like you, I can imagine, elegant and French looking!

Pigspigscorner, I agree. Almond meal or hazelnut meal just changes a somewhat plain chocolate cake to a fudgey rich flourless cake!

Dr. Rosalind, it's so good to hear from you! I hope you had a good Christmas too because mine was terrific! I'm so happy for you because you get to eat some gluten-free desserts, everyone shoudl eat desserts really! And I am even more happy you are spending some quality luscious holiday now, do keep it touch!

Cheers,
Quinn

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez