Monday, December 14, 2009

Mango, Coconut and Lime Pudding with Macerated Vanilla Pomegranate

Posted by Quinn at Monday, December 14, 2009

These are refreshing. I like things with lime juice and zest in it lately. It's getting a lot hotter because summer is approaching. I've been churning more ice creams, sorbets and I'm thinking of investing in a set of Popsicle moulds. Mangoes and pomegranates are in season. I see them everywhere!

I combined these two with my favourite tangy lime to zest things up a bit into this elegant glass of pudding. They are wobbly just the way I like it. Instead of the usual macerated strawberries, I did macerated pomegranate arils. Again, with a dash of lime juice and vanilla bean paste and vanilla sugar of course to spice things up further!


Maybe you should try these. I would describe this as a glass of heaven because everything in it is so heavenly to me!

Mango, Coconut and Lime Pudding with Macerated Vanilla Pomegranate
makes 4 to 6 Martini serving glass size

Mango, Coconut and Lime Pudding
1 cup double cream
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 tbsp powdered gelatine
6 tbsp Vanilla Castor sugar
2 large Champagne mangoes, sweet and ripe as possible
Juice and zest from 1/4 to 1/2 lime, depending on its size

Sprinkle the gelatine over the coconut milk and let it stand for 15 minutes or so. Peel and simply dice the mangoes. Why bother much when you'll blend them anyway! Squeeze out as much mango juice from the pit as possible. Place them in a blender along with the lime juice and blend it to a fine puree. You should get approximately 1.5 cups of puree. Pass them through a sieve to remove all fibres.

Rub the lime zest through the sugar with your fingers. Bring the double cream to simmer over low heat and add the sugar. Stir until dissolved and add in the gelatine mixture. The coconut milk is probably all soaked up by the gelatine now. Use the lowest heat setting possible to slowly dissolve the gelatine mixture. High heat will cause it to loose its gelling properties. Remove from heat and whisk to cool it down a fair bit.

You can choose the strain away the lime zest bits now if you like. I did because I like my pudding smooth as silk. Add the mango puree and ladle the mixture into 4 to 6 Martini glasses. Chill overnight, loosely covered with a plastic wrap if possible.


Macerated Vanilla Pomegranate Arils
Pomegranate arils from 1/2 a large pomegranate
Dash of lime juice
Vanilla Castor sugar to taste
1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste

I freeze the pomegranate arils and place all of them in a Ziploc bag. Add in Vanilla sugar to taste and the vanilla bean paste. Zip it up and use a rolling pin to simply smash it up but not too much just in case you get to the seeds and it will be bitter. Let it macerate for as long as you like. I did mine overnight.

To serve, top the pudding generously with macerated pomegranate and serve immediately.

p/s: the pictures you see, I top them with frozen pomegranate arils and sprinkle them with sugar instead. It taste better with macerated ones but I didn't want to haunt you with my ugly shots of macerated pom. They look like a pool of blood but taste very good.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments on "Mango, Coconut and Lime Pudding with Macerated Vanilla Pomegranate"

cherry potato on December 15, 2009 at 12:35 PM said...

Look so sweet and yummy!

zurin on December 15, 2009 at 12:38 PM said...

MMMM i love pomegranate and mangoes...I must try the mango pudding though...pomegranates are expensive here which I dont understand because when I was little we used to eat quite a bit of them. Again.. what a creative dessert Quinn!and very well executed to.:)

Anncoo on December 15, 2009 at 1:00 PM said...

Looks so perfect and yummy. Nice clicks too :DD

Christine on December 15, 2009 at 10:57 PM said...

Mango, coconut and lime are incredible friends in dessert! Love your idea of making this refreshing pudding. Great for summers!

Quinn on December 16, 2009 at 8:02 PM said...

Thanks Cherry Potato! It's not that very sweet tastewise. I like it this way but in terms of look, hell yeah, it's sweet! :)

Zu, I still don't understand why pomegranates are so expensive. It's selling for AUD4 for one here in Adelaide so it's not that cheap either. I buy one and clean them up nicely, each and every arils and make sure it's got no pith attached to it. Then I freeze it and thaw just the amount I need. I like how they look in my food, simply pom-tastic!

Anncoo: Thanks! Nice clicks? Nay, I have a great deal to improve!

Christine: Yeah this dessert is great for summer and the combination is really very the delicious. Can't stress enough, you gotta try it to know!

Ellie on December 16, 2009 at 9:45 PM said...

Wow! This puddng sounds so exotic! I love how you serve it in the martini glass. so pretty!

Ju (The Little Teochew) on December 16, 2009 at 11:12 PM said...

So creative of you, and so pretty they turned out. For some reason, I keep seeing cherry blossoms! ;)

Quinn on December 16, 2009 at 11:44 PM said...

Thanks Ellie and Ju! I love using Martini glass because I don't need to do much and they are already half elegant in terms of presentation! And cherry blossoms??? Haha! Weird!

Neel | Learn Food Photography on December 17, 2009 at 1:15 PM said...

I like the first photograph the most. This pudding seems so yummy I want to order something right now.

I am wondering if you tried shooting this with black background I think that would have made the photographs even more mouth-watering.

What do you think? Did you try any other backgrounds?

Thank you,
Neel
Learn Food Photography

Quinn on December 17, 2009 at 1:33 PM said...

Neel,

Thanks and I always like you commenting on my photos because I am trying to improve it. No, haven't shot with black background yet. Didn't wanna invest too much in props though I do like to have a few background colours and more space for myself. Soon, when I start working! And yeah, I reckon black background would have contrast it well.

Thanks!

Marysol on December 18, 2009 at 3:51 AM said...

Wow! What's not to love?

It may not be summer here (in fact, it's colder than a polar bear's behind), but I see no reason to wait until summer, to make this delicious and beautifully-executed dessert.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez