Sunday, December 13, 2009

Mini Honey Chocolate Chips Puffins

Posted by Quinn at Sunday, December 13, 2009

Baked Puffins with my younger sister yesterday. Supposed to have done it last Tuesday but couldn't find the time especially now I am busy with Zoo commitments and other stuffs as well. This baked pancake batter, or what I would affectionately referred to as Puffins are Bakerella inspired. I do agree with my sister that the puffin tasted rather bland if you leave out the chocolate chips. You ended up needing more maple syrup to soak it in to make it taste good. But with chocolate chips added to it, and lotsa of them I mean, it ended up tasting fabulous and fantastic. No one complained. I did not. Aaron did not. We just gulped all 12 into our stomach for brunch!

Really, it is understandable. Apart from that little amount of butter and sugar and honey in the batter, there isn't much to sweeten things up. It is after all a pancake batter. And yes, I really hate flipping and the fact that everyone else is sitting at the dining table eating away with cutleries cluttering away while I'm still flipping away pancakes to serve more! Same goes to French toast! I wonder what happens if you bake French toast ?


Mini Puffins with Honey and Mini Chocolate Chips (Bakerella Inspired)
makes 18

1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar

Whisk the above well. You can sift them if you want, I couldn't be bothered.


1/2 egg, beaten
1 tbsp honey
1/3 cup milk + 1 tsp lemon juice (let it curdle and sit for 15 mins before using)
1 tbsp melted butter

Mix the above well and whisk it into the dry mixture. Whisk till lump free and toss in 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips into it. Spoon just over 1 teaspoon of the mixture into well greased mini muffin pan and bake it in a preheated oven at 180°C for just 8 to 9 mins. I did exactly 10 mins to be safe and because my oven is half kooky and half lunatic.

Cool slightly and remove them from pan. You might need a toothpick to run through the edges if they are sticking a little. For all you know, they are healthy little gem with just 1 tbsp of melted buttter and 1 tbsp of honey in them.

I like these. I will make them again soon. Thanks for having fun with me in the kitchen Sue though you are exactly 3,553 miles away from me in terms of distance and you are baking these in the comfort of our home kitchen and I have to churn these babies in a flimsy oven.

I had fun and I hope you too did!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments on "Mini Honey Chocolate Chips Puffins"

Xiaolu on December 13, 2009 at 9:07 AM said...

Very original presentation! These are so cute 8).

Jennifer Romanchak on December 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM said...

These are so adorable! I've never even thought to bake pancake batter before. Though, I have baked french toast! If you cut the crusts off of your bread, soak it in whatever egg mixture you like to use for french toast (and I typically use some eggs, nonfat milk, vanilla, and oodles of cinnamon) and push the bread into a greased muffin tin, it makes little french toast cups! I fill them with whipped cream and berries and it's absolutely delicious, you should really try it!

zurin on December 15, 2009 at 12:36 PM said...

they are adorable! youre very creative Quinn! I never thought of it a :))

Quinn on December 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM said...

Thanks Xiaolu! I like your name and you seriously take good shots! I reckon everyone would think these little puffins are cute!

Jen, heaps of thanks and by the sound of it, I should bake French toast too it seems! And your idea of french toast cups sounds cool! I might make a savoury one!

Zu: Kalau cute then cepat cepat make for the kids la okay?

Ju (The Little Teochew) on December 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM said...

Adorable! And they way they sat on top of the muffin tray - that's doubly adorable! Well done, Quinn! :)

Flirting with flour on January 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM said...

I am absolutely thrilled about these muffin puffins! Sooo cute! and they're a lower calorie muffin option and since they're simple (which I like because then I can add in practically anything.. I was thinking blueberries for this one.) I might have to run out and get some milk for tomorrow morning! :) I WILL be trying these!!

Quinn on January 19, 2010 at 2:07 AM said...

Thanks Ju!!!!

Chantal: Jeeeez....Saw that post already. That was quick! Didn't thought you would ran out the next morning just to get milk for these. Now if that doesn't tell anyone something, it does tells me something. These are so-to-die for!!! Thanks for the mention!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez