Saturday, January 2, 2010

Chocolate Mud Cake all plated up for Christmas Dinner!

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, January 02, 2010

This is it! My chocolate mud cake slices for Christmas! I really wanna share with you all what I’ve done. I know, I know....Christmas is over, that's last year and we are all ushering the new year of 2010. So, happy new year to everyone! I couldn't have been any happier. Spent a week with with Aaron in Canberra, solely a U-N-I time and visited many places of interest. I realize I cannot do quick hurried holiday anymore. I enjoyed so much in Canberra because we took our own sweet time, not much of photo snapping, visited just one or two place in a day and pampered ourselves to good meal once or twice. Arrived in Adelaide late night of New Year's Eve. Not much of a celebration because we were both too tired! On new year day itself, we both went to a friend's place and partied till 1:30am! Came back home, a quick shower and we dozed off again until now! So, here I am telling you my Christmas dessert last year!

That is a smeared dollop of Grand Marnier flavoured Chantilly Cream with a line of rich homemade caramel cream sauce. I am sorry but I cheated, I didn’t have time to make ice creams. Besides, my ice cream would not have be able to churn enough to serve 15 people. I use Dairy Bell Ice Cream, it’s the best I could get at that time. It’s organic, very light probably from overchurning and very scoopable. So, not everything is homemade on the dessert plate.

The star of this dessert for me, after the slice of rich cake is the Tangerine Corkscrews. This is the answer to my previous post. Oh yes this is very edible. A small bite of this with a bite of the mud cake, rich zesty-chocolaty sensation!

I first saw the corkscrews from Tartelette’s blog. I asked her within the comment on how she did it so here is a brief way of how to do it. Peel the tangerine like how you would peel an apple with the peel coming off in long strips. Blanch them in boiling water for just a minute or so until the water starts turning orangey. Working quickly, twirls the long peel around a wooden skewer and hold it for a minute or so. Gently loosen the peel and you get your long tangerine peel. Gently cut them up into smaller corkscrew pieces and decorate your cakes, brulees or puddings with it. They look fabulous and absolutely edible!

You can snip the tangerine peels into long strips before blanching them and twirling them individually or do like what I did above. I hope this is helpful, it is small little fancy decorations like this that really differentiate a good dessert from a usual ones. Yes, the plating really affects the taste for me!

Make Donna Hay's Chocolate Mud Cake here.

Make Quinn's easy peasy caramel sauce here.

Whipped some double cream with a splash of Grand Marnier and vanilla sugar until soft peak.

Make some good quality ice cream, many ideas over here.

Make some tangerine curls like described above.

Plate up your wonderful creation and be ready to be swept off your feet!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments on "Chocolate Mud Cake all plated up for Christmas Dinner!"

Ju (The Little Teochew) on January 2, 2010 at 2:31 PM said...

Wow wow wow!! This is so amazing! You're very creative. Blew my mind just looking at your photos! Clearly must have swept your 15 guests off their feet :) Happy New Year, dear Quinn!

PS: Glad you enjoyed your laidback hol with Aaron. That's the kind of hol for me too. A rejuvenating, quiet retreat. :)

Dodol & Mochi on January 2, 2010 at 5:46 PM said...

Glad to see ya back!! Love all your pics! Impressive styling here! And, great food! I'm so going to try out the tangerine thingy ... Thanks for sharing!

Have a great 2010 to you & Aaron!

Pei-Lin

Anncoo on January 2, 2010 at 7:30 PM said...

Hello Quinn,
I love the pictures in this post, look so perfect. I'm sure your guests definitely enjoyed this lovely dessert.
All the best in 2010!

pigpigscorner on January 3, 2010 at 10:44 PM said...

Nice presentation and the mud cake looks amazing! so chocolatey and dense! happy new year!

zurin on January 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM said...

you are amazing Quinn!!!! look slike hotel food...so elegant n classy!

Quinn on January 12, 2010 at 12:48 AM said...

Ju: Thank you so much. I'm so so flattered already. I guess everyone has a creative in them, just need to flaunt them out! I love my holiday really, I almost didn't wanna come back to Adelaide and abandon this whole blogging thing!!!

Thanks Pei Lin from both Aaron and me! Yeah, that tangerine curls is worth a try. It's pretty easy but gives dessert impressive looks!

Anncoo: Yeap, they definitely did! Thanks again!

Happy New Year Ann!It's really very chocolatey and dense and fudgey!

Zu: Terima kasih! Just trying up my plating skills. Every time we dine out here in Adelaide, their dessert always look something like that, small in portion and many little components to pair along. I like how they taste together in a mouthful! And naturally, they just look elegant by themselves! Thanks anyway!

Melody Fury - GourmetFury.com on December 4, 2010 at 7:00 AM said...

What a stunning holiday recipe! Would you like to submit it to my contest to win a cookbook? Just wanting to share the holiday cheer (and exposure to your blog) Would love for you to win :) http://ow.ly/3j61M

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez