Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mango Pudding...the cheat way

Posted by Quinn at Sunday, January 24, 2010

This was dessert last night. Me and mango pudding, Aaron and mango pudding, our love for mango pudding, indescribable is the word. I ran out of gelatine and I ran out of ice cream. All I have is a packet of 85g Mango Flavoured Aeroplane Jelly.

I don't eat stuffs like that. Apart from the fake mango essence taste and deep lemon colour, no part of it is truly mango. But it was 89cents. The cheapskate in me couldn't help but buy it and figure out what to do with it. I could just make the jelly and run a fork through them and serve them with ice cream or use them to top a velvety smooth cheesecake but I didn't.

A crazy idea sparked my mind. I could use this packet of mango jelly powder as gelatine instead! The mango jelly powder will be what forms my aspic. I gotta figure out the proportion myself though. I can almost say it's failproof and hey, mango size doesn't matter too! You'll either get a more wobbly consistency or firmer depending on the mango size you use but rest assured, it will definitely set.

And it set real quick, like after 2 hours. I didn't make too much, it's just me and Aaron anyway. And mangoes....good, sweet, creamy luscious mangoes are everywhere! Generally, I'll only buy R2E2 or Honey Gold Mangoes because they are as sweet as ever.... and they have less fibre too! Good or bad, you figure it out but I want my mango pudding silky smooth.

And because I didn't add any sugar to the pudding, I sugar-coated the lips of my glass just in case it's not sweet enough for us. And the strawberries, it's sour and tart. I quarter them and squeeze in some of the leftover Chocolate and Vanilla Bean Buttercream from my previous cupcakes. You of couse could use chantilly cream, this is just what I've used.

And the cubed mango cheeks taste so good with evaporated milk dribble over them. I'd be making them over and over again. The mango jelly powder by itself sucks but it taste real good after a couple of transformation. If you're looking for creamy mango pudding, this is it.

Mango Pudding
(makes 2 cups scant of pudding)

1 packet of Mango Flavoured Jelly Powder (Mine was an 85g pack)
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup cold water
1 mango, peeled and pureed, pass through a fine sieve to remove fibrous stuffs
1/2 cup evaporated milk (use creamy ones, don't use those light stuffs)

Place the jelly powder in a small pot. Pour in the hot water and whisk until combined. I generally can never get it to dissolve properly so I place them on the stove, heat them up a bit, use a water-soaked brush to paint the sides of the pot to remove any stuck jelly powder and stir non-stop with a whisk. Use low heat and don't heat it up too long. Whisk in the cold water to bring down the temperature a bit. Finally, whisk in the mango puree and evaporated milk. Whisk hard else it might set and curdle. But don't fret, cuz when mine curdled because I didn't whisk quick enough, I run a stick blender through the mixture and it became uniform again, easy peasy and failproof.

Pour it into serving glasses. Feel free to add a tablespoon of castor sugar in the mixture if you think your mango is not sweet enough. Chill for 2 hours and it'll firm up. Pop it in the freezer for 15mins and it's all icy cold and ready to serve.

P/S: I thought I was smart to use jelly powder to make pudding but a quick Google search and I realise I'm not the first one and definitely not the only one.... :( Whatever, I like my proportion so use mine with assurance from me!

Pei Lin, I've picked up your Happy 101 Award meant for me. If you're reading this, a million thanks to you again for thinking I'm worth it!

Pei Lin, I think I'll make this a leaf node in the tags spanning across the blogosphere. In a quick 5 mins Google, it looks like most bloggers that I have known and those that I have not already known have already been tagged, and I'm not going to spread the contagion outside the organization further :)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments on "Mango Pudding...the cheat way"

Ju (The Little Teochew) on January 24, 2010 at 7:13 PM said...

LOL, I made mango pudding using a pre-mix too! Out of necessity, I might add, because I needed to make a vegetarian version. ;) Yours looks like a fine dining version! 89 cents, you say? It looks like a million bucks to me.

Dodol & Mochi on January 24, 2010 at 11:37 PM said...

Oh, hey! Smart way to serve elegant-looking classic dessert! However, I refuse to buy premixes since I began cooking/baking. (Aiya, must be that kiasu-ism in me lah ...)

Your styling has blown me away!! I've gotta learn something from you when we meet up!

Oh, hey! Btw, you totally deserve the award. I know it's some form of tagging and many have received it. But, I understand it's compliment from other fellow bloggers. So, just went along with it. It's sort of fun, eh!

Pei-Lin

ABowlOfMush on January 25, 2010 at 10:12 AM said...

Ooh this looks fantastic!!

Kitchen Corner on January 25, 2010 at 12:16 PM said...

WOW! Very nice presented dessert! Look really refeshing and I feel want to have a glass now :P

Ellie on January 25, 2010 at 8:28 PM said...

Your mango pudding is so well presented. I cheat all the time. lol!!

tracieMoo on January 25, 2010 at 11:55 PM said...

Mango is my favourite flavour when it comes to puddings! those photos are killing me.. reminds me of margarita in a way :)
You and aaron didn't finish it rightt? Save some for me, Quinn!!

zurin on January 26, 2010 at 1:10 AM said...

very creative presentation Quinn as always ! cute!!

Elin on January 28, 2010 at 10:46 AM said...

Quinn...this look expensive haha despite haveing bought the jelly powder for 89cents. We can never get this for 89sens over here in Malaysia ! :( And you have done a great job on it too. Mmmmm I can imagine it on my tongue...silky smooth with the sweet honey mango taste...wonderful and thanks for sharing your recipe with us :)

Quinn on January 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM said...

Ju: Thanks! Not sure about look wise but tastewise, this is definitely a million dollar baby. It's hard isn't it sometimes because jelly powder can never give you the texture like gelatine. Trust me, this is close to using gelatine powder, closest you could get!

Pei Lin: I've got a lot to learn from styling...I'd say we teach other when we meet up! Buy pre-mix once in a while, they save you a lot of time when you have cravings, don't so kiasu-lah! And the award, yeah I totally agree and see it as a form of compliment rather than just forwarding plain old award so thanks again Pei Lin!

ABowlOfMush: Thanks!

Grace: Thanks! Come on...your desserts always make me drool and you want a glass of mine? No way!!!

Ellie: Thanks and I don't think anyone would blame us if we cheat once in a while. Cheat and let them think you've made it the hard way!

Tracie: Margarita? Hmmmm. I didn't use Margarita glass though maybe teh glass lip opens up wide like Margarita eh? I always die die must order mango pudding everytime we go Yum Cha in Australia! It's finished, sorry guess you gotta whip some up for yourself and tempt me with your pics instead!

Zu: Thank you! I like the strawberry and buttercream filling, they taste so good together and look so cute too!

Elin: Yeah I don't think you can get bargains like 89cents in Malaysia. They don't do it often here too, I was lucky! The mango was silky smooth, I always pass my mango puree through a strainer, we can be healthy and eat fibre other times but this time! You're welcome!!!!

Di said...

Hi Quinn,
Just wondering in your opinion, which version of your mango pudding recipes (jelly packet, mindanao or ice cream) do you prefer in terms of taste? :)

Quinn on December 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM said...

Di,

It is hard to gauge and really is a matter of personal preference. My opinion would be bias because I simply love mango in any form of aspic.

The mindanao one has the strongest mango flavour, ice cream one is smooth and creamy and jelly packet is milky and good if you want a quick fix.

Cheers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez