Saturday, January 30, 2010

Open Face Pineapple Tarts

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, January 30, 2010

Baked these pineapple tarts today. They are so pretty, totally Valentine! Heart shape tart with heart shape jam, aren't they adorable? Thank you so much again Edith!


I was a little puzzled at how the mould works. Laugh all you like, there's no instructions and the mould came in two parts. It took me a while before I figured it out. No, it doesn't work like the heavy copper mould that come in one piece. You're suppose to do two stamping on each mould to get imprints. But I quite like that the imprints are clear and holds its shape. I don't quite know though whether is it due to the recipe or due to the mould. Having said that, many has said that copper mould imprints are clearer and better than plastic ones.

I have a slight problem with rolling the dough into equal thickness. I kept rolling and chilling again non stop until I was satisfied. It did too up a fair bit of time. But once you get the hang of it, you're good to speed things up a little. Having said that again, 41°C today obviously didn't help!


I have no problem glazing, they were quite firm when chilled in fridge. Didn't have enough egg wash so I just glaze the sides. The centre is gonna be covered with pineapple jam anyway, I didn't bother glazing. The jam adhere well to the pastry, nothing came off.

And the heart shape jam. It's really not that hard you know. Roll the jam into ball, make a slit with a sharp knife all the way to the centre. Open it up like 'V' shape. Sharpen the bottom edge and blunt the top edges and done. It's easier when you have frozen jam. Just in case you are wondering, the frozen jam are very much pliable but it doesn't stick to your hands. Perfect to work with!

These moulds are so cute I don't think I'll just pull them out once a year. I think they make lovely butter cookies with a nutella filling or just any other jam! Back to pineapple tarts. I made it the rub-in method with the same recipe. I tweaked the pineapple jam recipe and cooking method a little using my Granny's Sis method. The sugar is caramelized before being added to the almost dried jam. It takes sugar to a level higher when you burn it.

Roll out the dough. Don't knead it, just exactly like doing pies and tarts pastry, kneading cause it to shrink. Here, kneading cause it to be crispy and crunchy, not too good and not yummy. Trace out the patterns using a mould. For each trace, dip the mould in a mound of plain flour piled nearby. Gives a neat cut and dough doesn't stick to it. Now am I Einstein or what???

Remove excess dough and repeat the rolling process again until you finish up the dough and are left with many cute little hearts all over *winky wink

Now, use the inner mould (the mould comes in 2 pieces, one fits into the other one with minimal tolerance/gap) and press it on the previously traced hearts. Again, dip the mould each and every time into a mound of flour to avoid sticking. Cannot stress enough, do it! I'm talking from experience!


Lovely! Now, glaze all of them with egg yolk wash. I diluted them with milk a little. Too brown makes it look a little fake. I want edible, pleasant-to-the-eyes tarts this time around for my guests.

Now, make that heart shape jam or 'V'-for-Valentine shape jam and smear it on the centre of the tart, pressing gently.


Just like the one shown above. Do it for all and don't be lazy, declare love to your partner/husband/wife/girlfriend/spouse/boyfriend/gap partner/lesbo/ parents/great-grandma etc. Aren't they just too cute to eat? Even before baking, they are this cute, can you imagine after baking when their cheeks are brushed with brown hue colour????

If you're not romantic like Aaron, simply just flatten your ball of jam and plop it over the centre of the tart. We like more jam, less pastry. That is a crazy ration from the picture so don't follow me!

Pop it into the oven to bake until done. And sniff the air *sniff *sniff. The aroma of butter and milk powder mingled together. Simply arousing! I love my house smelling of pineapple tarts!

I'm so tired now, I made 70 pieces of these for my family and Aaron's. I'll start on nastar next week. Right now, rest time, I'm shutting down.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments on "Open Face Pineapple Tarts"

tracieMoo on January 30, 2010 at 8:45 PM said...

heart shape open face pineapple tarts! how cute :D I was very curious of how you made the jam shape like hearts and it did clear my doubts when you explained it.. haha.. It sounds easy but I didn't like getting my hands sticky after rolling up the jam.
You really can't find your wire racks huh?

70pieces! that must have took lots of stamina.. Sounds tiring but the pictures of these tarts.. looks worth all the effort! Great job, Quinn!

zurin on January 30, 2010 at 11:05 PM said...

theyre beautiful but a lot of work m sure! very pretty indeed!

Passionate About Baking on January 31, 2010 at 1:44 AM said...

HI Quinn,
They're just gorgeous! And a lot of hard work! I'm sure your family and Aaron's will be really touched by these heart-shaped pineapple tarts! Gee, I wish I can even have a piece of this...;p

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on January 31, 2010 at 2:56 AM said...

Oh, Quinn!! Bravo! 70 pieces on a day! Kudos to you! They look perfect for Valentine's & CNY!

Thanks for sharing your Ah-Ma's jam recipe! =)

wendyywy on January 31, 2010 at 4:13 AM said...

They are so lovely...I won't have such diligence to make the fillings into heart shapes.

pigpigscorner on January 31, 2010 at 5:00 AM said...

aww they are so beautiful! Open face is definitely easier than nastar or the wrapped ones. So many pineapple tarts around!

Kitchen Corner on January 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM said...

WOW! That's lovely! It's quite a good celebration goody for Valentine's day and New Year! Very pretty!

Aimei on January 31, 2010 at 2:22 PM said...

Wow! I've never thought of a heart-shape pineapple tart. Prefect for this year new year huh. ;) So pretty!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on January 31, 2010 at 4:11 PM said...

This heart-shape pineapple tart is really perfect for this CNY/Valentine day. Good idea.

Ju (The Little Teochew) on January 31, 2010 at 10:26 PM said...

They are gorgeous, Quinn! A gift from the heart (pun intended).

Quinn on January 31, 2010 at 11:49 PM said...

Tracie: It's not that sticky if you mould it when it's freezing cold but pliable. And yeah, I need a new wire rack. It's officially missing after I can't find it twice for pineapple tarts. Talk about bad luck!

Zurin: Yes they are a little time consuming but looking at them, I know it's worth it!

Jane: Thanks Jane! Touched our family members' heart or not, I don't know yet as of now but we had 16 leftovers that can;t fit into the jar back to Malaysia and it's finished in one night by Aaron. I know I definitely did touched his heart with these cute pineapple hearts!

Pei Lin: Thank you for using Ah Ma's recipe but I'm sorry it failed you the first time I'm glad you gathered the courage to try it again!

Wendy: Thanks Wendy! If you think of your loved ones whilst doing it, it'll be done in no time :)

Ann: Thanks and yeah, pineapple tarts of all variety have been flooding blogosphere lately.

Grace: Thanks! These are just too perfect for Chinese New Year because it falls on the same day as Valentine's Day!

Aimei: Thanks. I really didn't do much. The mould did most of the job really!

Sonia: Thanks! Your nastars look a gazillion times better. Love the condensed milk idea by the way!

Ju: Thank Ju! These are gorgeous little melting hearts that would melt anyone's heart away indeed!

Anncoo on February 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM said...

This is cute and pretty.

Quinn on March 15, 2010 at 3:32 AM said...

Thanks Anncoo darling!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez