Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bread Cake

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, February 13, 2010

Justify FullThis is something I made right before coming back to Malaysia. It's quite a hit thing in many bread cookbooks and bakeries. It's called a bread cake. Usually made in a loaf pan but I've used my chiffon pan for it.

Made it the night before and kept it in my new bought cake carrier. With the amount of potlucks we do and birthdays we have, I think this is rather a good investment. Had it for breakfast, plain, dipped in coffee, smeared with peanut butter (not me, Aaron!) and nutella, endless possibility.

Having baked this, I realise I could actually submit this for my Monthly Mingle. Yes...It's Monthly Mingle again. This time around, hosted by Jamie of Life's a Feast.


The theme is Chocolate & Bread. Now, is that beautiful or what? Tessa Kiros has a beautiful chocolate bread custard and another chocolate loaf in her Apples for Jam. I settled with Agnes Chang's book and baked a bread cake from her book, 'I Can Bake'.


This is a bread cake literally. One part chocolate bread, one part pandan cake, all parts delicious! Eat them however you may, cake first followed by bread or vice versa. It's a great texture when you eat them together. It's light in texture from the fluffy cake and slightly chewy and soft when you sink your teeth in the chocolate bread layer.

The fragrance of pandan is there. I've cheated and use pandan paste diluted in water. I would have blended pandan leaves with water but hey, did anyone tell you what you'd get if you blend frozen pandan leaves with a splash of water? You get grey water people! Freakish looking and totally uninviting colour of grey. Yes, presentation matters to me and I'd rather die from preservative and additives rather than producing a grey looking pandan cake. Oh, you have a problem with that? Sue me.

You think the above click looks like a pandan chiffon cake? I think it does, and a very successful one too! Look again below. This is so good eaten plain but I'm no plain Jane. Maximize the orgasm by smearing peanut butter and melted chocolate on the bread. Yes people, I have issues with peanut butter and chocolates. I guess it's the withdrawal symptom I'm in now from the previous chocolate and peanut butter overdose.

I'm gonna keep this short and crisp and send you off to the recipe. Try it. This is something I grew up with too you know. You can get this from La Boheme, King's Confectionery's or Baker's Cottage. They're sold cheap and nice. Those were the days before I start getting picky about what cupcakes I'll eat and have the luxury to make my own cakes and breads.

I made two rings of bread cake with this one recipe. My chiffon pan is 18cm in diameter each.

Bread Cake
(makes one loaf and adapted and modified from Agnes Chang's book, I Can Bake)
Bread Ingredients:

A:
200g bread flour
1.5 tbsp cocoa powder, passed through a tea strainer
1/2 tsp salt

B:
5.5 tbsp castor sugar
1 tsp instant dry yeast

C:
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp water
40g butter

Sift A into a mixing bowl (yes, the cocoa powder will be sifted twice this way!), add in B and whisk well to mix. Slowly pour in water from C and use low speed to knead the dough until smooth. Add butter from C and continue to knead until the dough is fully developed and can be stretched to a thin membrane sheet without tearing.


Remove dough from mixing bowl and shape into a smooth ball and place it in a lightly greased mixing bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise until it double in bulk. Punch the dough down with knuckles to release air and knead again until smooth. Rest it for 15 mins, covered with the damp cloth to prevent skin from drying out.

Roll the dough into a rectangular shape and then roll it up tightly. Place the dough now in a loaf tin (this is the loaf tin you'll be baking from, so make sure you grease it well!) and leave to rise until it doubles in bulk. If you're using chiffon pan,weigh the dough into two parts and poke a hole through it. Let it proof in the well-greased pan. You can also use a large chiffon pan. Only pour in the cake batter when the chocolate bread dough has doubled in size like in the below pic.

Get on with the cake part and preheat your oven to 180°C now.

Cake Ingredients:

A:
20g plain flour, sifted
20g cornflour, sifted
2 tbsp castor sugar
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp water
Drops of pandan paste

B:
3 egg whites (I use four, just wanna use up the leftover eggwhite from glazing pineapple tarts)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2.5 tbsp castor sugar

Mix A in a mixing bowl until smooth. If you're using pandan paste, you might wanna add a bit more since the colour will get lighter with the addition of egg white.

Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar from B until slightly foamy. Add in sugar from B gradually and continue beating until it reaches stiff peak like in the pic below.

Having said that, the egg white peaks should also defy gravity like this:

Dollop a little egg white batter from B into A and whisk to combine. When you get them to approximately the same kind of texture, your folding in process will be a lot easier. Now, pour the fluffed up A mixture into B and gently fold in with a spatula until well-combined. Pour cake mixture over the risen dough and gently level the top with a spatula.

Bake it in the oven until golden browned and cooked through, about 30 to 40 minutes. Cool completely, slice and serve plain or dolloped with peanut butter and melted chocolate.

Note: 1 tbsp = 15ml and 1 up = 250ml

Thanks Meeta and Jamie for organizing and hosting the event! It gave me a reason to bake and get creative yet again!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments on "Bread Cake"

Sara Tea on February 13, 2010 at 4:39 AM said...

wow! I've never seen such a treat! I'll have to try this out. I've recently started squashing my fear of yeast. haha

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on February 13, 2010 at 5:00 AM said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Been wanting to make cake bread. But the plan has been held off due to a number of reasons ... Hope I get to try it soon ...

Happy Lunar New Year!! Gong Hey Fatt Choy!!!

Happy Homebaker on February 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM said...

Hi Quinn, I borrowed the same cookbook and I was reading it a few nights ago...tell you what, yours look way better than the one featured in the book ;p
Great job! Thanks for telling me that blending pandan leaves will produce a grey mixture, since I do not have a blender, I use pandan paste :)

tracieMoo on February 13, 2010 at 1:31 PM said...

LOL dying from preservative, sounds very worthwhile to get your million dollar shot. Love the green colour of the pandan cake layer! It does look really good.

Mum use to be so addicted to these bread cake years back when they were first sold in the bakery shop but I'm sure nothing beats homemade. I just love how the cake rise and puffed up like a balloon! It has no cracks at all! So soft and moist.
This is so going to be in my to-do-list, Quinn!
I love dipping bread into coffee too. Especially if it's this chocolate bread. YUMMMM..

Ju (The Little Teochew) on February 13, 2010 at 3:06 PM said...

Wow, that looks like the tallest, proudest, most magnificent chiffon I have ever seen!!! Happy New Year, Quinn!

Jamie on February 13, 2010 at 10:48 PM said...

This is incredible! Wow! I love it! I can't believe the two parts, the chocolate and the green, put together rose up like that! Fabulous! And the finished bread cake looks sooooo good! Fantastic, I am just too amazed to do say anything else! Thanks so much for baking this and sending for my MM!

Kitchen Corner on February 14, 2010 at 12:49 AM said...

Nicely baked bread cake you've there! Very good job! You've a good time ya!

Honey Bee Sweets on February 14, 2010 at 7:26 PM said...

Gorgeous looking bread cake! I have always wanted to try this kind of recipe...but somehow the idea of eating cake and bread together just didn't click with me. But your looks very good! Thanks for sharing! Gong Xi Fa Cai Quinn...have a wonderful Tiger year!

zurin on February 15, 2010 at 12:12 AM said...

gosh thats beautiful Quinn!!!!I must try this.....bread and cake ..what a lovely combination!!!so tall and might too!!! good job..youre geting better n better!!

Quinn on March 15, 2010 at 4:11 AM said...

Sara: Try yeast, touch them, do not be afraid of them, they don't bite! This is nice, my childhood food, imagine eating cake and bread, that's exactly what it is.

Pei Lin: Make it. I always do impromptu midnight baking, it's fun. Love the quiet and tranquil environment. Try it on a friday night!

HHB: Are you kidding me??? Thank you so much, so flattered now to have someone say I bake better than Agnes in terms of looks, taste wise, we're probably on par, hehe! Blending frozen pandan leaves will produce grey mixture. Fresh ones won't...You should get a blender, makes really good sambal you know....

Tracie: Haha, yeah...tease me all youlike, you little health freak. It's a 18cm round chiffon size cake, I won't die by eating 2 slices of it, blek! You're so like me, the coffe dipping thingy and I love the cake layer, it's between sponge and chiffon, gotta try to know!

Ju: Thanks, I gotta agree it's beautiful too. Tall cakes always loo more beautiful, don't they?

Jamie: You're welcome Jamie and thanks for organizing and hosting MM. Who would have thought a bread and a cake batter combined would yield such tall cake???

Grace: Thanks!

BeeBee: Make it and if you don't like eating it together, eat it separately. It's yummy, and you get two flavours, chocolate bread and pandan cake!

Zu: Thank you Zu....I love how tall they look too, I wanna be as good as you, you inspired me!!!

Caryn said...

Hi,

Your cake bread looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I grew up in M'sia as well, but somehow do not remember this...although pandan is one of my fav flavors, remind me of my childhood! I would like to try your recipe, but can you please clarify one thing? Corn flour, do you mean corn starch, or actual corn flour?

Thanks! Caryn

Quinn on May 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM said...

Caryn: Thanks, and if you are still in Malaysia, try going to Bee's or King's Confectionery, I'm pretty sure they still have it. It comes in a loaf form, like a whole loaf of bread, unsliced. I made it round instead. I don't know where are you from now but here in Australia, corn flour is the same as cornstarch. But if you want to know, the recipe book says corn flour and I use those powdered white stuffs, not starchy stuffs. I hope this helps, make it and good luck!

missy-j on May 25, 2010 at 8:59 PM said...

Hi Quinn, I'm thinking of trying out this recipe. Do you think I can fit this whole recipe in a 8" loaf tin?

I also found another recipe that looks similar on the net: http://www.all-baking-recipe.com/bread/pandan-bread-cake.php

Is that the original?

Thanks!

Quinn on May 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM said...

@missy-j : The link you gave me is broken, I couldn't access it, I'm afraid you gotta type out the recipe here if you want to. As I've said, this recipe is adapted from Agnes Chang's book, I Can Bake so that is the original. And the original recipe doesn't state the size of the loaf tin. I'd say a 9'' loaf tin would fit better. It's just the matter of you getting a taller or shorter cake.

Cheers.

joyceyvonna on June 18, 2010 at 10:06 AM said...

hi quinn! your bread cake looks so pretty. i've actually tried making cake breads before eversince i saw them in bakeries, but i've always had to invent something since there are very few recipes out there (i only found two). i think its funny how you went on a chocolate+pb overdose..haha..i've been here. i'm new to your blog so i can't wait to explore more:)

Quinn on June 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM said...

Thank you Joyce! I thought it was funny too but after I tried it, it's not that bad you know. Like how durian and chocolates are match made in heaven! Have fun exploring and thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez