Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tangerine Style Pineapple Tarts

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, February 06, 2010

This is my last post from Adelaide for now. I'll be flying off back to Malaysia in less than 24hours! I can't wait to bring back the cookies, all the bakings I have done previously and some stuffs I have bought and requested by some friends. These tangerine tarts, they are the last batch of Chinese New Year goodies I've made.

There's a good and a bad story behind these tangerine style pineapple. I didn't make nastar. I don't know why. The mould, I just can't seem to get it right. The opening from the mould yield a very very thin pastry. It makes my jam looks huge. As much as I really love pineapple tarts with lotsa filling, the one I made was way too much. I cannot make open face. The dough just wouldn't roll properly even after chilling because I have used the creaming method. I always have a tendency to overcream stuffs. I ended up making tangerines, something I am comfortable with.

I have to let go of my favourite nastar because I really don't want to repeat all the piping that I did, like thrice the effort just to make decent nastars. I needed to make like seriously, a lot! So bad as in I cannot make nastar but good as in I still can bring more pineapple tarts back and they do look good but I just would have preferred nastar....

I made two batches. One using self raising flour and one using plain flour, both from the same reliable recipe that I have always used when I found it here. The tarts above are made using plain flour wheres the ones below that I have placed in mini muffin liners are made using self-raising flour. I actually like the one with SRF better because they are more fluffy and they do expand a little when baking so the muffin liner comes in handy. It's really not that big in reality.

Talking about pastry, I have edited my pineapple jam post so do check it out. I've added in more pictures and tweaked the steps a bit using what my granny always does. I like her method way better. In fact, I always like anything caramelized.

And nope, I will stick to my chopsticks wire rack. I don't bake cookies often really so when I bake a cake, I use my oven rack as my wire rack. I have too much tools really. But I really need a good pasta maker though so I'm planning to splurge a bit on a good one. I think I can make flaky egg tarts, croissants, puff pastry and danish pastry with it too apart from just making pasta. The maker will help me save a lot of rolling time which I suck at.

These 'Tau Sar Piah' looking tarts are made specially for Aaron because he doesn't like the strong smell of cloves. And he whined I've only made 8 tarts without cloves. Simply because I like them so much better with cloves. They look more tangerine like! Did I mention I wrap the filling in when they are frozen from the freezer. When it is frozen, I work so much more quicker and the skin roll up so quickly and seamless too. I don't need to chill the dough and it did not ooze oil. I love wrapping in filling when they are frozen. They are always more moist when baked and even cooled after days...

And for storing, see if you can get red plastic jar/bottle like this. They are so traditional and typical of Chinese New Year. Again, I have used jumbo muffin paper flattened and spread out to line each layer. The tarts are so crumbly and fragile. And did I mention, yummy! And they fit just snuggly in my little red jar. And they are all of the same size. I NEVER WEIGH MY FILLING AND PASTRY. I'm not bragging but I would love to tell you all what I've done. For tangerines, 1/2 tablespoon of dough to 1 tspful of filling is the perfect proportion. Simply use your measuring spoon, the one with 1/2 tbsp capacity and 1 tsp capacity and measure. There is no need to weigh it in my opinion, just my thoughts. Please don't condemn me.

Layer the tarts in the jar until it is full to the brim/bottleneck. Before screwing the top, place a kitchen towel or baking paper on top and press the cover down. Twist till tightly secured and tape it with sticky tape all around. Baking paper or kitchen towel helps absorb moisture and prevent tarts from turning mouldy too quickly since I always like my jam on the moist side. Apart from that, they are a very good sealer and act as an insurance air-tight. And with the sticky tape all around it, yeah my little red jar of tangerine tarts look as if it's storebought/pasar-malam bought. And I place it under my bed. It is such a good spot, not too cold and never get warm from the summer heat. Anyway, they are all n my hand carry luggage now. I can't wait to go back Malaysia. I'm already homesick now. I will still post from Malaysia if I'm not too busy.

And my fellow bloggers, I can't wait to see all of you!!!!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments on "Tangerine Style Pineapple Tarts"

Anncoo on February 7, 2010 at 12:57 AM said...

Hi Quinn, Since you're going home for CNY, I want to wish you A Very Happy Happy New Year and please say hello to the blogger friends for me, will you?
I'll not be posting during the CNY holidays but am always there to support all of you.
Happy Valentine's Day too!

Ju (The Little Teochew) on February 7, 2010 at 2:25 AM said...

They look perfect, Quinn! Enjoy your time back in KL!!

pigpigscorner on February 7, 2010 at 8:55 AM said...

I finally made some pineapple tarts today! I started off with tangerines but it took me ages to wrap just one, so I finished off the rest 'nastar' style. Have fun!

Angie on February 7, 2010 at 10:27 AM said...

Hey Quinn, have a safe flight home! (Fyi, I'm now in HKG waiting for next flight to KL) See you then :)

Honey Bee Sweets on February 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM said...

Your tangerine shape pineapple tarts are lovely! So "plum" & lovely! I made my 2nd batch of pineapple tarts today too, but still no time to sit down and blog. :) have a safe trip back home...see you soon! ;)

Aimei on February 8, 2010 at 2:31 AM said...

Lovely pineapple tarts. ;) Enjoy your trip back home this cny. Happy lunar new year to you!

edith on February 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM said...

Quinn, sorry to hear that the nastar mould was useless to you.

Have a nice trip home.

zurin on February 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM said...

beautiful Quinn!!! ur so sweet to make cookies to bring home to ur family....very good daughter indeed!!!

Quinn on February 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM said...

Anncoo:Will help you send regards to all bloggers I'll be meeting!!!! And Happy CNY and Happy Valentine's Day to you too! Have fun!

Ju: Thanks Ju! And yeap, just got back last night. Busy busy busy, tired tired tired sums it all up!

Ann: Really? I thought tangerine was easier than nastar though. Wrap it when the filling is frozen, a whole lot easier and faster and you don't even need to chill the dough.

Angie: Thanks, yeap, safe journey home for me. Arrived last night. I was lucky to be able to do direct flight. I'm sure you're in KL now, can't wait to see you!

Bee Bee: Take your time, blog after CNY, never too late! And hope to see you soon!

Aimei: Thanks! Yeap, again, safe journey for me. Flight was good just a lil' tad bumpy and I am safe and sound!

Edith: Please don't be silly darling. Maybe it's me, not the mould. I'll try again, I promise. It's the sweet gesture of yours that touches my heart, remember that.

Zurin: Thanks! I will arrange a meet up with you real soon! And yeah, mum was actually quite happy she could save some money, she could brag to relatives and yeah, so many pros and relatively no cons in me bringing cookies back, phewwww!!!!

cariso on February 9, 2010 at 10:44 PM said...

Very cute ! Fat fat one. :) So lovely! Hmm sae tak sek loh :)

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on February 10, 2010 at 12:51 AM said...

Quinn, missed another post by you! I've been damn busy with CNY baking. Argh ...!

You know what, with the dough yielded by this recipe, I struggled to press out the dough out of the nastar mold. Then, it was challenge for me roll it up around the pineapple filling, too! So, towards the end of shaping and filling, I gave up! I turned the rest into tangerines! Goddamn it! What was worse, since the pastry was damn thin, the tarts crumbled up easily! I was really upset.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience! Glad to hear you've reached KL safe & sound on Sunday. =) Hope to hang out with you whilst you're still here.

PY on February 11, 2010 at 1:20 PM said...

I am happy that I found your blog. After looking at your cute tangerines, I couldn't resist myself from making them even it's already late at night. The result was satisfatory but...... ha! ha !I still prefer the nastar rolls ! I don’t know why, may be just becos' I am so used of making them. Wishing you a Happy and Prosperous New Year !

Happy Homebaker on February 13, 2010 at 12:33 PM said...

When I realised my jam was a little too moisture for wrapping, I placed the jam balls in the freezer, and they became so easy to wrap after that! Thanks for sharing another wonderful tip!

Quinn on March 15, 2010 at 3:36 AM said...

Cariso: Thanks! Fat fat = Prosperous mar....Hou Yee Tao!

Pei Lin: Awww....sorry to hear your nastar experience but trust me, I've been through worst. We food bloggers all learn from experience right? Do not be dampened. Quinn give you support!!!!

PY: Haha, thanks! I still prefer nastar roll too. Sometimes even with the same recipe, I find nastar shape tart taste better, don't know why really!

HHB: Glad you find that tip helpful, wrapping the filling when they are freezing is the best in my opinion!

Jess said...

Hi Quinn,
I have just made these and they were a little out of shape. - I used lard and they really do melt in your mouth so quickly that I can't even really bite and taste it (if that makes sense) Thank you for the lovely recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez