Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Taste Of Chinese New Year

Posted by Quinn at Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Chinese New Year people!!!! Gong Xi Fa Cai!!!! Xin Nian Kuai Le!!!! Kong Hey Fatt Choy!!!! Kiong Hee Huat Chye!!!! Gong Hee Fatt Choy!!! That is so us Chinese Malaysians. Lots of dialects and everyone unite and celebrate the same grand festival. This is gonna be a long long post. I practically did everything you will be seeing here. This is a post about my house. It's always me doing it ....couldn't brag more but gotta credit the two lil' monkeys as well just in case they're reading this!

Having said that, Happy Valentine's Day to all couples and singles alike in the world!!!! More on that at the bottom of this post but for now, let's move on! Chinese New Year (CNY) is not all about the food though food play a big role from Day One till Day Fifteen. Decorations play a lot too. I love my house adorned in flashy red and blings blings! Gives it the CNY feel. The one you see above is a large vase of pussy willow with artificial plum blossoms. Pussy willow symbolizes prosperity and as it blooms, the prosperity grows with it. Plum blossoms are meant for good fortune and helps in smoothing rocky relationships. Together, the vase of plant is meant for auspicious days like CNY and is placed throughout CNY from Day One till Day Fifteen. Yes, very much like your Twelve Days of Christmas and Christmas Tree! The tree is usually decorated with ornaments and red packets (friendly termed Angpao in Hokkien). It will bloom lotsa green leaves, just make sure you change the water or add fresh ice cubes to it everyday. I make it a point to do it every morning. It will look so beautiful by Day Eight, where we have an open house. Another grand event I shall talk about when time comes.

That's my living room wall. That painting has been there forever. I don't read Chinese, nothing to be proud of really but I've been told what they mean and I try to remember all the strokes and memorize them. You know, just in case anyone ask. No, the wall is not white and it is not dirty either. It is not wall paper too. It is just three colour of paints sprayed on decoratively. It looks good upclose really. Can't help it when your very handy uncle is a painter and yes, he paints houses.

That's our huge praying altar. I probably never mention this before but I grew up in a family where superstition holds and everyone is a strong believer of God. All grandma do is pray day and night. This is nothing much yet. The praying table is sorta like a transformer. robot You can pull out all sorts of edges and extend it further. It was loaded just now, way more than this but I thought this looks prettier. So I put my palms together and pray to them so they don't blame me and I then relocate things a bit according to what I like when Grandma wasn't looking! And back to plants and prosperity, you see yellow chrysanthemum. It is soothing and symbolizes prosperity too, a very common flower offered for spiritual purpose. That is why it is on the praying altar. In the same vase as the chrysanthemum, you see two stalks of red and green plant. I don't know what it is called but Mum said the florist told her it is called 'Step Step High Rise'. It's a proverb in Chinese during CNY and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. That's a direct translation from Cantonese 'Pou Pou Kou Seng'. Sometimes, we add a stalk or two of bird paradise too. All plants about CNY must be as colourful as possible, must be tall, no trimming of stalks and they are always there for a reason.

Right next to the praying altar is a hallway that leads to the dining area, the inner kitchen and the garden+outer kitchen. I told you, you see red everywhere in my house!

That's my living room. The table will not be this empty. This was taken yesterday. Still in the midst of preparation. Apparently, lucky bamboos signify something too you know. We have a large and tall pussy willow where the camera is positioned to take the above shots and we see a lucky bamboo plant right next to the plasma.

Yes, they can be bent and twisted into any shapes you like. I have seen a large ship, a pineapple, an '8' figurine and etc. Number 8 is auspicious and good and Number 4 is vice versa, remember that. The lucky bamboos are again used to help everything in the house prosper and brings good fortune. It took us years to grow the leaves and we keep adding in new bamboos every year. All leaves slanted towards left because there is a huge window pane there and bamboos love sunlight. Just a little, not too much.

That's my dining table. I love when everyone gather around for a feast. We don't have many but yeah, just me, mum and dad and both my sisters and grandma. Just direct family. Dad can't stand the noise, he can't breathe when there's too many people. And again, red ornaments.

That's a wine bar my parents are so ever proud of. Every Chinese should have one in their home, it's all about the face, it shows that you are of upper class minority and all that yada yada yada....No, I don't believe in them, they just show that you're a bunch of alcoholics who don't spend money wisely. Shhhh....just my thoughts, please don't tell mummy. She will be furious, I don't think so, I know so!

That's just another angle and yes, this is my kitchen. The kitchen I love working in. It is very comfortable really.

This marble table is where I knead all my breads and make paus and stuffs. We don't have a big house so I can't bake much no because this table will be full of food on the Grand Eighth Day. More about that later. I love this table. It work so well with chocolates and breads.

Having showed you that, I reckon I need to show you the kitchen I work in Adelaide. I know it's nothing to shout about unlike many Kokkens but this kitchen is where I churned out some of my most interesting dishes. This kitchen is also where I baked all these CNY cookies so I do appreciate you all giving attention to this not so well-equipped kitchen. Wait till I get back to Adelaide and snap a shot of the oven for you and you'll say 'Oh My god!!!!' How did you bake with that?????

A day before Day One of CNY, we have a reunion dinner. All family members must be present. And we always cook way more than enough. The food on the table is probably enough to feed an army. I love how food brings people together. Both me and my sister fly back from Australia just for this dinner!

That's the table all set up after the reunion dinner. Can't tell you much, they are just praying stuffs. You wait for the right time, tick-tock-tick-tock, and you pray, light the candles and light up the incense and pray, do some gestures and so forth. Then you burn stuffs and pollute the air.


Nah, no offence please but I wasn't kidding really. Imagine every house doing the same thing....Imagine China. Anyway, that's my grandma aka best cook in the house burning some paper money for Gods. There are plenty of Gods in Chinese, I don't know them, no story, sorry..... I know grandma say you need to make sure they are fully burnt (all black ashes) and no pieces left so they receive it properly 'down there'. Direct translated from Ah Ma, don't get it, don't question!

Oh did I mention each and every house will also hang this huge piece of red cloth. Ours says 'Fook Seng Kou Chiu'. That's in Canton by the way and it means some auspicious stuffs again. I know some of you are probably growing sick and tired of the word auspicious, good fortune, prosperity. I know but really, that is what CNY is all about. Do you see another plant in the picture?

It's called Four Season Lime Tree. I asked the nursery where we bought them from. Aren't they pretty? No, you cannot eat the limes on the tree. They are solely for decoration purpose and are full of insecticide, toxics and pesticides, I kid you not. I asked the nursery people too.

There are still many other auspicious plants like the money tree, the Buddha's fist plant and so forth. If we were to buy everything back, our house would look like a jungle! I just love how the lime tree look. They are so green, full of plump and round inedible limes. Just so auspicious!!!!

This is the wall right outside my house. We change it every year depending on the Chinese Zodiac. It's tiger this year so there it is. One is a lil' lopsided, will go fix that right now.

The reunion night ended with plenty of fireworks glazing the sky and yes, I know it's illegal. I don't wanna go into that but hell yeah, it's CNY so bring it on!!!! That's the best view I could get. Maybe more fireworks shots on Day Eight. We all tuck in to sleep as quick as we could. Very much like Santa giving out presents to kids the very next day. We fall asleep with the sound of fireworks and firecrackers all night long till at least 4am. We woke up to the sound of lion dance. It's beautiful sound, the sound of drum, crash and triangles combined together.

When we wake up the next day, we bath with lime and pomelo leaves water and put on washed, clean, red shirts. Say auspicious greetings to our parents and get Angpao. This red packets consist money! And you gamble with the money. Nah, don't do that, it's illegal in Malaysia. Yes, many things are illegal in Malaysia. Spoils my CNY fun!

That's Nyonya Chap Chye. It's vegan mixed vegetables. Mum eats this one whole day. She believes being a vegan on Day One brings you good luck and bless your family for the next 364 days. I know it sounds a but kiasu but haha, I love them. They are cooked with plenty of Nam Yu or red fermented bean curds with Sang Choy and Beijing lettuce. Lots of imitation meats are added. They include imitation goose meta, char siew meat and etc. Mushrooms are also added whole. They are all prepared the night before. You don't pull out scissors or anything sharp on Day One of CNY especially! You don't sweep the floor, no moppings too! And you obviously cannot break anything on Day One because you will scare the God of Prosperity (or Choi San in Canton).

Having said that...Shhhhh....don't tell mum I broke glass 8:30am this morning while I was putting out the food in the living room. We wipe it clean with cloth, working as quickly as we could, me and my maid and grandma. And I accidentally cut my finger a little....What a bad way to start off my Day One of CNY. I did not tell mum because I know she will not care about my finger rather she will be concerned with the fact that I broke something on the first day of CNY!... And I had a small argument with Aaron the night before and it's Valentine's Day today. No, I shall not proceed further and let unhappy things drift me away.

That's the round tray all set out with CNY goodies that I have been blogging about previously. I am glad they love it though they did say the pineapple jam is a tad too sweet for some but judging by the looks, I can make more fancy stuffs next year! I made everything there except for the Ferrero Rochers of course and the chicken floss roll. They are yummy but we don't deep frying at home. Wait till I invest in a deep fryer machine.

Clockwise from top left, we have Rose Cookies or Kuih Loyang, Roasted and Salted (R&P) pistachio nuts, Kuih Kapit (Love Letters) and R&P cashew nuts.

We also have arrowroot chips. and prawn crackers. The chips and crackers are a crowd pleaser every year. The above are prawn crackers and the arrowroot chips are those in a red jar (see first pic of this blog post).

Moving on, this dessert is cooked on Day One to serve us and our guest who will come pai nian (that's visiting in Mandarin). This is doubled boiled longans, lotus seeds and lily bulbs dessert or Longan, Lin Chi Pak Hap Tong Sui (that's in Canton). It can help bring in new addition to the family and helps newlyweds conceive more easily. It is also auspicious-sounding.

Valentine, there you go. No, lemme clarify and let you all know Aaron is not only a man of his words, he is also a man of practicality. He will never gave me that beautiful bouquet of flowers. That is my cousin's husband Valentine gift to her. He is back in Sekinchang with his family members celebrating CNY and my cousin wants to celebrate CNY with her family so I guess not everyone is too happy that CNY falls on the same day as Valentine's Day and Valentine's Day is totally overshadowed by CNY. And my Aaron is back in Labuan. I wish to say it's just 2 and a half hours flight away from KL but let's all admit that is pretty far and I cannot see him during this period as much as I could. I know I get to have him all in Adelaide but I wish I could celebrate some days of CNY with him. Just in case you are wondering, Aaron got me a good tripod. All the pictures you see here are taken with his tripod. I am loving it. I cannot thank Aaron enough for getting me what I really need. It's more like I asked for it. I love him nonetheless though deep down inside me, I wish he could be a lot more romantic. Happy Valentine's Day Aaron. I did not bake anything Valentine-y as of now but I promise to make up to you when I see you in Labuan. I hope time flies, I hate the distance.

That's a little Tiger cum cat waving to you as the Year of Tiger roars in! Now, I'm gonna go catch a midnight movie with my two lil' monkeys. Oppss...only say good sounding words during CNY. I am gonna go watch a movie with my two beloved little sisters. I don't hope much from the movie, we all know how CNY movies can be lame sometimes but I treasure the moments we spend together munching on Twisties and Cheezels and gulping down Season's Ice Lemon Tea. It is so our thing and I wanna remember moments like that before I fly back again, very soon.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments on "A Taste Of Chinese New Year"

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on February 15, 2010 at 3:31 AM said...

Hey, there! We've got a lot in common when it comes to celebrating CNY. All the food looks so yummy!!!

Are you kidding!!?? Your house is small!? Yours is a mansion for KL'ites' standards. Your kitchen looks cool! So big & comfy!!!

Happy Lunar New Year to you and family! Gong hey fatt choy!

P.S. Though I ain't experienced in this, I do know that every relationship comes with hiccups. It's not all smooth and pretty. That's the beautiful side of it, which get us going thru the ups and downs, making the bond stronger. Have faith in Aaron lah ... He's such a good boy!

Shirley @ Kokken69 on February 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM said...

Gong Hei Fatt Choy!! Thanks for the link and I love the spaciousness of your home kitchen- I can only dream of this kind of space here in Singapore.Really interesting account on CNY- this will bring nostalgia to many who are not home to celebrate this festival...

Anncoo on February 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM said...

Good Morning Quinn,
Happy New Year!新年快乐! and always think of good things..OK?

zurin on February 16, 2010 at 12:20 AM said...

what alovely spacious home you have QUinn!!! beautiful too.. the kitchen n the marble table top is to die for!!!! id bake evryday if I had a tabl n kitchen like that! lucky girl!!

Passionate About Baking on February 16, 2010 at 12:22 AM said...

Hi Quinn,
Thanks for letting us "visit" your house! I love your kitchen to death! It's so huge and nice! Any bakers would have loved to have all these space! Enjoy your family. It's such a lovely home and house to have! Happy valentine's day to you and Aaron too! ;)

Ju (The Little Teochew) on February 16, 2010 at 1:32 AM said...

What a great post, Quinn! I so enjoyed reading every lil thing. You are so FUNNY!! That bit about the altar being a Transformer robot is hilarious!!! Gosh, you made me LOL so much! Am glad to see that you're enjoying your food and all. Do hope the finger is OK? Enjoy your time with your family. Oh, and like your oven in Adelaide, everyone who has ever been into my house will gasp when they see mine ... not in a good way, I promise. Happy New Year!!

robbie on February 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

http://cellularaccessoriess.com

pigpigscorner on February 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM said...

Great to hear that you are having fun at home! I miss home! Happy CNY!

petite nyonya on February 22, 2010 at 11:59 AM said...

hi Quinn, i truly love this post of yours! while most of us got hung up over cookies and cakes for cny, you did an outstanding job introducing cny in a cultural sense. i love your altar table..so grand! my family's one is much smaller. wow, your family's home is really, really huge & spacious! give me your kitchen & i can stay in there whole week!! ok, will email you tonight...been busy & away lately. need to know the exact plan this sat. i am kinda lost with regard to catching up with the chain of emails from everyone. will be in touch k. cheers!

Ellie on February 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM said...

You had a great CNY! Reading this post makes me homesick :)

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on February 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM said...

Hi Quinn, sorry I'm late to this post. I really like this post, feel so warm to see this kind of family gathering. And I envy you have a big kitchen...

Big Boys Oven on March 2, 2010 at 4:14 AM said...

awesome! awesome chinese new year! :)

youfei on March 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM said...

Hi Quinn,

It's my first time on your blog and im WOW-ed by your kitchen! I love that island with a MARBLE table. I would think that's almost every home-baker's dream kitchen =p

Lovely post!

Quinn on March 15, 2010 at 4:03 AM said...

Pei Lin,

We're both Chinese, of course got things in common-lah! Come on...you do know where I live and my housing area, this is as big as it could get. It's decently sized and comfy, I would say. Still very much having faith in Aaron.....We're fine, don't worry!

Shirley: Thanks! And yeah, gotta agree the kitchen kinda makes you all jealous eh? But really, it's such a waste because nobody uses it when I'm gone.

Anncoo: Thanks and yeah...I'm staying really postive! Thanks for the support!

Zurin: Thanks and yeah...everyone is madly in love with the table. I wish I could shift that kitchen back to Adelaide you know...

Jane: Thanks! Yeah, my kitchen, I know. It's awesome isn't it. I know... Happy Belated Valentine to you and your lovong hubby too!

Ju: Are you serious about my oven or is that you being sarcastic??? How can a gas powered oven with bad rubber seal bake and brown properly. Show me a picture of your oven and I might believe you. The finger is alright and yeah....you do agree right how praying altars are analogous to transformers sometimes!

Thanks Lucy!

Ann: Awww....sorry I don't meant to make you all miss home with this post.I hope everyone had a good CNY celebration with loved ones.

Joslynn: Thanks and yeah, my kitchen again. I like it too and can camp in there for weeks and don't come out. The praying altar? I guess things are a little different when you have old folks at home, praying stuffs are always much more grand....somehow.

Ellie: Don't get homesick please....You can celebrate it with Lil' Miss C and Darling Hubby... Hope you had a great one!

Sonia: Thanks, I know I am a lucky girl with lucky kitchen....I really do know...

BBO: Thanks, hope you had a great one too!

Youfei: Thanks for dropping by! Yeah I know, from the first comment till you, everyone is wow-ed and dropped jaw when they saw my kitchen. I love that island too really...It's my dream kitchen that I only get to use once a year...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez