Friday, March 19, 2010

Cute 3D Chilled Corn Kuih

Posted by Quinn at Friday, March 19, 2010


I spent a lot of my childhood time eating kuih muih like these. Kuih is what I would term Malay cakes, usually chewy and served at room temperature. Generally steamed and colourful and mostly uses coconut milk, pandan and banana leaves. In fact, my childhood time were spent eating and playing. We never need to learn how to cook. We get our daily fix from grandma. Breakfast would be teh tarik and a selection of kuih. Kuih muih is the plural of kuih. Kinda like kuihs. Lunch would be glutinous Nasi Kunyit with Ayam Kari Kapitan. And we even have tea break because we kids just never stop eating. Tea break would be similar to breakfast except, we never seem to be eating the same type of kuih twice in a day.


Grandma likes to reminisce old times and she always start off like this with a mixture of Hokkien and Baba Malay:

You kids are all so lucky now. You all don't know how to cook and yet are able to marry good husbands with maids to spare. Back then, we weren't so lucky. Life was hard and I started following my mother around and learn how to make kuihs when I was able to hold a spoon properly. We are all human but our lives vary a great deal....

All I could conclude is if you can't cook during olden days, you don't get a good husband to marry you and you don't get a maid to serve you. Nah, I'm joking. I could sense unhappiness in her tone every time she talks like that. But I never wanna ask much, it's complicated and only known to those close to me.

Anyway, back to this kuih. This one taste like custard jagung or corn custard kuih. I always frequent night market or commonly known as pasar malam when I was in Malaysia. There is this lady, she sells only kuih talam and custard jagung and they don't come by cheap. It's RM2 for 6 small pieces. I know RM2 is cheap but trust me, many kuih stalls are a lot cheaper than hers and her kuih also comes with a not-so-environmental-friendly plastic bag that says 'kuih talam' in green. I remember it so vividly because Aaron and me love it so much, we buy half a dozen of each every week from her!

Back to this corn kuih, this is adapted from Y3K latest book, Issue 53. Couldn't resist making them because they are too cute!!! This one uses one of those Japanese toy, the one used to make hard boiled eggs. I happen to have three of these, two given by Elin and one given by Ellena because I am such a lucky blogger to have people sending me stuffs. This one takes a while to make if you have limited mould however you can of course steamed them in a 7'' round greased tray if you wish. I've also modified the steps a bit and use cream style corn instead. Have fun!


Chilled Corn Kuih
(makes 12 if you use those Japanese Mould)

15g Wheat Starch (Tang Mein Fun)
75g rice flour
23g tapioca flour
6 tbsp white sugar
1 cup coconut cream
1 small can of cream style corn (Mine was 125g, very cute small can!)

Prepare your steamer and grease the moulds. Bring 200ml water to boil and add a pinch of salt to it. While that is on the stove, mix all the ingredients above in a large bowl and whisk to combine very well. When boiling, add the combined flour mixture into the pot and whisk well to combine. Use medium low heat and alternate between a silicone spatula and a silicone whisk, whisking and scraping the sides and bottom every now and then. When it is thickened, remove it from the heat. Working in batches, scoop 1 tbsp of batter into each cavity (that makes it 2 tbsp per mould to make a 3D car, fish etc.). Steam it unclipped over high heat for 10mins. When time is up, quickly clip them together and put it in the freezer. Repeat with remaining batter until done.


Serve well chilled.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments on "Cute 3D Chilled Corn Kuih"

Kitchen Corner on March 19, 2010 at 11:40 AM said...

WOW!! That's very cute!

Cuisine Paradise on March 19, 2010 at 3:52 PM said...

Wow..this one of my favourite dessert :p Can i have two instead :p

Ju (The Little Teochew) on March 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM said...

Soooooo cuuuute!! They'll bring out the child in everyone of us. Quinn, they are adorable ... like you!!

zurin on March 20, 2010 at 1:41 AM said...

oh gosh how cute is that!!!!! ok thats it m looking for moulds like that! :))

tasteofbeirut on March 20, 2010 at 6:24 AM said...

What an unusual and wonderful recipe! I can relate to you in that I too love to play in the kitchen! Must be why I am still in the kitchen after all these years!

Magia da Inês on March 22, 2010 at 5:20 AM said...

Olá, amiga!
Conheci seu cantinho... amei!!!
Seu catinho está
lindo, criativo, nutritivo e delicioso...
Belas fotos dos pratos!
Você é muito talentosa!...
Bom domingo! Boa semana!
Beijinhos.
Itabira - Brasil

Elin on March 24, 2010 at 8:31 PM said...

Yo...Quinn how in the world did you manage to do that!!! So cute...oh I have forgotten this, I am actually talking to a smart and genius engineer..heehee clever gal and you have put this molds to good use. Congrats...it was cute..

Quinn on March 24, 2010 at 11:40 PM said...

Grace: Thank you! Aaron felt it was childish and I shouldn't have spent so much time on it :( And the girls in my house, they were like jumping and yelling and squealing with joy saying 'so cute!!!!!'

Ellena: Thank you, you must make this for Reyon. It takes time but you can half the recipe and make 6 pieces. Cute!!!

Ju: Thank you. Hehe, are you saying I'm childish? Haha, I'm just kidding!

Zurin: Make for the kids maybe tak payah la, make for cucu and send to US ok???

tasteofbeirut: Thank you. Funny isn't it sometimes because I love slaving over the stove too you know....

Magia da Inês: Thank you! It's pretty creative and nutritional, maybe the corn, hehe! But it's definitely pretty and cute, make some. I'm not that talented, you're making me blush. Muaks, little kisses back!

Elin: There is no way in the world I can do that if I don't have those moulds Elin so thank you!!! Yeah, we engineers put tools into full use. It's madly cute, I know.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Ive been wanting to make this!
but i dont know what do u mean by steam it unclipped?

THANKS! hoping for your reply

Quinn on December 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM said...

I do a quick google search and found the recipe here:

http://y3kfreerecipes.blogspot.com/2010/03/chilled-corn-kuih.html

The step-by-step pictures of the recipe might help you understand. Open the mould flat out and pour 1 tbsp batter into each side. steam them as it is. Upon finish steaming, clip the ends together, bringing two sides of steamed batter together is what gives you the 3D effect.

Hope this is clear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez