Monday, March 29, 2010

Little Char Siew Buns

Posted by Quinn at Monday, March 29, 2010


I told you we both really love buns and breads. Aaron likes savoury stuffs. I made some Char Siew and Wanton Noodle sometime back. I hate it because I can never seem to have any leftover Char Siew because no matter how much I make, they just disappear. I really hate Aaron sometimes. I told him to leave some for me to experiment with baked buns and steamed baos. But his reasoning was my cooking, they are always too yummy and he couldn't stop himself from finishing it. I hate him because he is such a sweet talker and I cannot deny the fact that I was smiling away sheepishly every time he cleans up his plate. Anyhow, I manage to make this batch of baked buns with Char Siew that I've hide from Aaron in advance.

I love Agnes Chang. Aggie calls these 'Sweet Little Roasted Meat Buns'. They are small, the usual ones you get from Dim Sum Restaurant that comes with 3 little buns in a plate. I love how faux looking these buns are. They are glazed with egg wash, sent to the oven and brushed with melted salted butter again to give it the shine. When you eat them warm, you can taste through the salted butter followed by the warm soft bread before reaching the goodness yummy and moist filling. I love the saltiness the butter gave to the bun. I think the filling would be really good for steamed baos too though I've not tried making Steamed Char Siew Baos as of now.


Sweet Little Roasted Meat Buns

(makes 4 dozens of little buns, you probably can fit 3 in your palm at one go)

Prepare a batch of basic sweet bun dough. After the first proving, divide dough into 20gm portion each and shape them into ball. Rest them, covered with a damp tea towel for 15 minutes to relax the gluten. Wrap them up with 1 tsp heaped of the Char Siew filling (recipe below) and seal tightly. Arrange them onto greased baking tray, approximately 3cm apart. Spray with water and let them rise until double in bulk in a warm spot.

Glaze with egg wash (1 egg, lightly beaten with a pinch of salt) and bake in a preheated oven of 200°C for 8-10 minutes, until cooked or golden brown. Remove them from the oven and immediately brush them with melted butter to give them the shiny coating. Leave to cool or warm before serving.

Filling:

1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp choppeed shallots
300g Char Siew, diced into little cubes

Sauce: Combined in a bowl

1/2 tbsp light soya sauce
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup of water
1/2 tbsp plain flour
1/2 tbsp cornflour

Heat up the oil and sautee chopped shallots until fragrant and golden brown. Pour in the sauce and stir and bring to boil until it thickens. Add in Char Siew and mix well to coat with sauce. Dish it up and cool it completely before using. I chilled mine in the fridge overnight for easy wrapping and to allow flavour to develop.

They are so good and disappear real quick when served as finger food for cocktail parties. You can also make bigger ones if you don't like making them small but I like anything in mini form, they are so cute though it did took me a while to wrap up 50 buns with a teaspoon of filling each. My fingers are aching...


And before I sign off, I'll be submitting this recipe to Yeastspotting and also, here are awards that have been given to me by Chantal of Flirting With Flour. Don't you just love blog names like that??? Thank you so much for thinking I am worth all these, I am so flattered and seriously touched. I hope you will try out the Steamed Banana Muffins asap and lemme know! And as always, I can be very disappointing sometimes, I do know if you read here, here or here.

Chantal, I think I'll make this a leaf node in the tags spanning across the blogosphere. In a quick 5 mins Google, it looks like most bloggers that I have known and those that I have not already known have already been tagged, and I'm not going to spread the contagion outside the organization further :)

Good day everyone!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments on "Little Char Siew Buns"

noobcook on March 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM said...

I love char siu with almost anything. the buns look cute and yummy!

MaryMoh on March 29, 2010 at 6:04 PM said...

Your char siu buns look so pretty and delicious. I wish I can have some.

Honey Bee Sweets on March 29, 2010 at 6:48 PM said...

Love the size and the glossy finish! Good one. ;)

Kitchen Corner on March 29, 2010 at 7:05 PM said...

The buns look very shining! I like it! There are just as prettier as the bakery shop one. Really hope can taste it.

Ju (The Little Teochew) on March 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM said...

They are ADORABLE! And oooh, I love the glossy finish. It makes the buns so cute and pretty. Looks very Japanese, actually! :)

Passionate About Baking on March 29, 2010 at 10:27 PM said...

Quinn, your little char siew buns are so cute and beautiful! The glossy finish shines through so much. I like the look very much.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on March 30, 2010 at 12:19 AM said...

The glossy finish makes the buns look so good, well done!

Anncoo on March 30, 2010 at 12:22 AM said...

These cute little char siew buns look so delicious. Aaron is so lucky to have you, Quinn ;))

ICook4Fun on March 30, 2010 at 1:54 AM said...

There are so cute and shinny. Wish I can pop one in my mouth now. Don't be angry at Aaron. He really appreciates your cooking and baking.

petite nyonya on March 30, 2010 at 10:10 PM said...

Hi dear,the paus are so shiny and tempting! The last time I tried making a baked pau, they turned out hard! Disappointing. Would love to try these the next round.

Cuisine Paradise on March 30, 2010 at 11:26 PM said...

Wow... Quinn, your bao top layer is so nicely done, the colour is so glossy and attractive. Wish we can have some too :)

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on April 1, 2010 at 12:46 AM said...

Quinn, the buns look so adorable!! Love the gloss they give! LOL!

It's undeniable the fact that you cook really well! He's not a sweet talker! Aaron is an honest boy who's just telling you the truth and what he thinks it's right! You're lucky, dear!

www.dhaleb.com on April 1, 2010 at 5:52 AM said...

I love getting these at dim sum! Sadly, I'm too lazy to make them myself. Any chance you'd ship some to NYC? ;)

Anncoo on April 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM said...

Happy Easter Day! I've an award for you, please come and pick it up when you're free.

Quinn on April 2, 2010 at 5:21 PM said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments and opinions!! I kinda like how the glossy finish makes the bun so appetizing too!

Ju: How Japanese is that???? Maybe it's the tray that I place the buns in?

Anncoo: Thanks, I think Aaron doesn't know he is lucky, seriously. All men are the same. I need to starve him a bit, then he'll know.

Gert: Si Aaron baca blog I so dia nampak what I type. Nah...I can't be mad at him for long, he's too cute.

Petite Nyonya: Alamak! What happen? Baked buns must use bread flour you know???

Pei-Lin: Yeah, it's two way. We're lucky to have each other. I love cooking and he loves eating my cooking, kinda like symbiosis.

Dhaleb: Any chance you'll be coming to Adelaide????

Anncoo: Picked! Thanks!

Joanne on April 6, 2010 at 7:30 AM said...

Reading about these has made my stomach start growling uncontrollably! I love char siew buns and am deifnitely going to have to make them. Just amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez