Saturday, March 20, 2010

Matcha Macarons with Goma Filling

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, March 20, 2010


Macarons are not macaroons. Macaroons are coconut mounds binded with sugar and egg whites whereas macarons are French cookies. No, I can't find the perfect thesaurus for it. To call French macarons as cookies is demeaning it. It is much more than that. 


This is my very first attempt and it'll probably be my last one.... Who would have though the exclusion of 'o' makes a hell of a difference and torture in terms of steps and precision? This batch of macarons are what I considered a success for my virgin attempt, minus the fact that I undermixed it a little, added a tad too much egg white, baked it a little too long and overfilled it a little.

I know, I know. You're probably wondering how on earth can I call these fugly looking macarons with unwanted pointy perks perfecto but they are, at least for me. The flavour was outstanding, mingled so well with the filling and what a joy it was to eat them together. And all my bakes, any one of them are all perfect to me because I thoroughly enjoy the process of making them. I love the weighing, wiping mess, getting flour all over myself and popping them into the oven.

And this batch of Matcha macarons, they're the same. I didn't get the nice shade of green I wanted because I overbaked them a little. I was all tense up with the importance of macaronage I undermixed them a little. It was only until I piped them I realise, the peaks stayed, kinda like meringue. I must have added too much egg whites....


Anyhow, Aaron rated it 7 out of 10 in terms of looks and taste after comparing it with the many maiden attempt of other bloggers out there. I'm happy, Aaron doesn't have a sweet tooth, it gives him toothache, poor guy. But he had 3 of them, just to show his support. How can I not love him so dearly...

I initially wanted to make these for St. Pattie's Day but I procrastinated. After a quick chat with Pei-Lin, and after seeing her beautiful macarons, I was determined to make them. I couldn't wait for the grinder. I used storebought almond meal. It was a little grainy but I somewhat managed. They didn't look too bad eh? Maybe a little shabby...And the filling, either make your own black sesame paste and omit the sugar or use storebought black sesame paste and add a pinch of salt to it. I like my macarons when eaten together is not sweet and just nice. I hate the feeling of cloyingly sweet stuffs at the back of my throat, really hate it.


And because today is Macaron Day, I am so dedicating this post to Le Jour Du Macaron, belated St. Pattie's Day and to the great pal I know who bakes beautifully, cooks beautifully, writes beautifully and makes beautiful macarons, Pei-Lin!

Have a great weekend people...

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 comments on "Matcha Macarons with Goma Filling"

Kitchen Corner on March 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM said...

WOW!! So many people know how to make macarons. I still have no idea about it :(

MacaronExpert said...

Quinn, please don't tell me you are serious about posting this macaron. April fool is still a week ahead. My honest opinion, they are overly browned, too cook, too puffy, not mixed properly, very grainy and poor picture quality. There is also very little skirt or feet. Please make better macarons before sharing with others your kitchen disaster, or what you so aptly known as kitchen 'success'. This an easy and pointless work.

Quinn on March 21, 2010 at 1:19 AM said...

@MacaronExpert: The only reason I am approving your rude comment is because I respect you as my reader and also respect your thoughts. I've tracked down your IP address and found out you're somewhere near me. I'll soon get down to you! Did I also mention, you are very shallow adding onto your rudeness!

Ju (The Little Teochew) on March 21, 2010 at 1:38 AM said...

They are praiseworthy for a first attempt! Baking should be an end in itself. You have my respect, Quinn. I love your Japanese-inspired combo.

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on March 21, 2010 at 2:33 AM said...

Quinn, that's a REAL GOOD one for a maiden attempt! Seriously, don't let others bring you down with their harsh comments!

Please keep it up! Don't lose the macaron mojo like I did! =( ... I've got a feeling I'm gonna see a second, third attempt ...

Please update us on that! And thanks for lending an ear to me that night! Hope to talk to you in person sometime in the future!

Love,
Pei-Lin

Happy Homebaker on March 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM said...

Even though I have not even eaten a macaron before, I have read that it is not easy to make them. Your first attempt looks great! and I like this matcha/goma version :)

Anncoo on March 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM said...

I think we all learnt from experiences and mistakes. You've my support, Quinn.

Passionate About Baking on March 21, 2010 at 10:54 PM said...

Hi Quinn,
For a first attempt on macarons, this is TRULY good! I've tried so many times, and only succeeded twice so far! Haiz, it's just a "love" to eat, "hate" to bake kind of relationship I have with macarons! Don't let it be last...it's so well done you should try other flavours! Yummy!

ICook4Fun on March 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM said...

Quinn, you did great for first attempt. You should see mine when I tried it out the very first time. I too have this love and hate relations with macarons. Don't let some negative comments put your down. We all love you.

SL said...

hey quinn,

really, thats a very good 1st attempt. i tried making macarons the other day and it was a total flop. It doesnt have any feet/skirting at all. it puffed up in the oven, but when i took it out it deflated. bah...worse than your a 1000 times. not too sure if i will attempt making it again.
again, i wanna tell u, dont let anybody put u down. its all by trial and errors. AND your macarons really look good for a 1st attempt!
cheers
SL

sammi_ysh on March 22, 2010 at 5:26 PM said...

Very awesome attempt, Quinn! I'm too bothered to give macarons a go. How I wish I had the chance to try your macarons. :)

Christine@Christine's Recipes on March 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM said...

Wow, congrats on your success in the first attempt!
They look really good!

Honey Bee Sweets on March 22, 2010 at 10:17 PM said...

Hmm...matcha version should be a real nice fusion since it does have a tea scent to counter the usually sweet macrons. Really interested to taste it...thanks for the wonderful idea! ;)

Swee San on March 24, 2010 at 4:06 AM said...

Good job on your first attempt. Unfortunately mine didn't even turn out cause it was stuck to the paper badly... love the flavour combo

Quinn on March 24, 2010 at 10:56 PM said...

Grace: With your kitchen ability, learning how to make macarons is easy peasy. Not being humble, if I can make it, anyone can!

Ju: Thanks for the support Ju! Yeap, Quinn is taking you all to Japan, I'm so into Japanese stuffs lately including ice cream, I'm going crazy over them!

Pei-Lin: Thank you so so much. Nah, I'm seriously not too bothered by the negative 'comment' when I have so many positive 'comments'. Thanks and no worries bout that night. That's what friends are for. I always felt like I was talking to you face-to-face because you're so descriptive or was it my good imagination skills? Hahha!!!!

HHB: Thank you, it's really not that hard you know if you follow the instructions really clearly. It's just finicky and you just gotta be careful with the whole macaronage part. I was too careful, that's why I undermixed it else it shouldn't be this puffy.

Anncoo: Love you Anncoo, thanks for the support but I'm really okay!

Jane: I wish you're my neighbour then I can try making these more often. It's hard when Aaron doesn't eat much sweet stuffs and always encore for breads. But it's okay, I've got a bunch of new girl housemates who loves nothing but sweet stuffs. I think I can make these again you know very soon....

Gert: I love you so muchie too and hey, I should be telling you all not to be too bothered about the negative comment. Damn! I gotta ask you send me the pics of your first macarons attempt to make myself feel better.

SL: Thank you and what an encouragement. I would die a happy girl knowing so many of you all strangers would be there for me if anything ever happens. Thank you once again!

Sammi: Thank you for dropping by. If I ever make some, I'll call you and send some over, this I promise you. Thanks for being my lab mice!

Christine: Thank you but they could be improved and perfected further before they become perfect however, thank you!

Bee Bee: The matcha flavour came across strong since I use 1tbsp matcha powder and only make approximately 18 macarons (unsandwiched). I sandwich them with an absolutely sugarfree homemade goma paste so it wasn't sweet at all. It was just nice!

Swee San: Are you serious Swee San? Thank you. Erm, I'm no expert but if it's stuck, try spraying with water underneath the paper. It should do the trick well. It did for mine :)

Mark @ Cafe Campana on March 26, 2010 at 2:30 PM said...

Great attempt at macarons. I still haven't summoned up the courage. You should totally try again you have a tallent.

Blessed Homemaker on May 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM said...

Quinn, I just have to share this. At least you've TRIED, unlike me, still procrastinating as I've heard so much horror stories making them. Also, the overly sweet macarons deters me from making. Alright, that's prob a lame excuse but I'll like to "conquer" this one day. You did a GREAT job!

Quinn on May 2, 2010 at 4:10 PM said...

Mark: What's with teh wait? Should have gathered enough courage to give it a go, you only live once. You won't die if you failed miserably. Go Mark Go!

Blessed Homemaker: Nah, I'm fine with the negative comment if that's what you're worrying about. As cocky as I may sound, I don't think I did a Great job, I KNOW so!

Blessed Homemaker on September 9, 2010 at 1:23 PM said...

Quinn, after so many months, I still haven't got my hands on macarons making :P Just want to say it again, you did great!

Blessed Homemaker on February 19, 2011 at 4:17 AM said...

I finally made these! But failed miserably hahaha!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez