Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Poached Egg

Posted by Quinn at Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Poached egg. Now how more precise can the title be? We all have seen various poached eggs flooding the internet, poached egg with plastic wrap, poached egg the Julia Child's way, plain all natural poached egg with Gordon Ramsey, poaching eggs with vinegar and etc. I like the vinegar method thingy and it works but I have to admit I really dislike the aftertaste it gives my egg, especially when I'm just eating it over buttered toast with salt and pepper. I wouldn't mind vinegar-ed egg if I'm eating say Benedicts or having a vinegar-ed egg floating in my creamy soup. And that cannot be white vinegar (Ewww.....), it's gotta be either red or white wine vinegar. Just love those stuffs in my salads!

Poaching really means cooking in water. There is no need for fat/oil/butter etc. However, many modern egg poachers actually cooks the egg by suspending it over steam. I have an egg poacher at home, it's really useful and I have to disagree with people saying buying one would have it collect dust at the back of your shelves. I use it almost every morning. In fact, my breakfast every morning must consist of eggs. Don't believe me? Click to see what I've done with eggs. In most occasion, all I really need is bread, butter, egg, salt and pepper. And because of its versatility, it can be cooked so many ways! However, now that I'm away from home, I resort to this method.

I did a tutorial on how I did my poached eggs. I like my method. You might say it's not an exact poached egg but modern egg poacher all works the same way. I'm saving you dollars here! So, here we go. I combined the pictures, save you some hassle of scrolling a gazillion times. You're very welcome! The above shot: Grab a silicone muffin cups. I got mine for AUD1 for 12pcs from Target on boxing day. Spray canola oil into the muffin liner. Obviously one muffin cup will hold just one egg. Mine's really small, I like it! Use canola oil though it's silicone. The last thing you want is to have yolks running everywhere when you're trying to flip it out onto your bread. Also, canola oil is odourless, bonus! Crack in the egg. The white floating bits you see in the last picture above, they're canola oil. Don't mind them.

Next, bread. You can choose to do it when your egg is poaching but I like doing it now. I poach my eggs pretty quickly and 3 minutes isn't enough for me to toast, butter and cut them. And I di djust that in the above picture. Notice how I cut a finger off the bread and butter all of them. I like torturing my poached egg with the finger.... I can be really mean sometimes. Before you start all that bread and butter thingy, boil water in a pan. You don't wanna get them rolling boil (see the pic). When they're boiling, turn the heat down so the water is just simmering (see pic again).

Gently lower the egg in silicone cup into the water and COVER IT (not shown in pic). Time it for exactly 3 minutes for an ultra runny yolk, 4 minutes for a yolk that hardens around the edges and 5 minutes for a perfectly cooked yolk (why bother poaching really ??? Just hard boiled them!). 3 minutes and 30 seconds is the best time. Yolks are runny, whites are perfectly set and it takes on the shape of the silicone mould so well! Fish it out with a ladle when time is up. I don't usually get water on my eggs but just in case if yours did, gently tip the silicone cup over to let the water loose or dab dry with a kitchen paper. You don't want soggy toast.


There we have it. Flip the poached egg over onto your toast and torture it with the finger. Before you do that, crack some pepper on top generously. I didn't use salt. I used a salted butter so that was good enough for me. Either you like it or not, I hope you do try it. I can easily make plenty with this method and have no cracks or failed poached eggs when I am serving an army. They look beautiful too, admit it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments on "Poached Egg"

Ju (The Little Teochew) on March 24, 2010 at 7:10 PM said...

The prettiest poached egg, ever! I love runny yolks too. I have eggs almost every morning like you. :)

ICook4Fun on March 25, 2010 at 1:02 AM said...

That is one perfect looking pooched egg. I never thought of poching it that way. I just crack the eggs right into the boiling water. Thanks for the idea Quinn.

Anncoo on March 25, 2010 at 2:12 AM said...

WOW Quinn, what a clever way to poach egg. Very pretty. I'll try your method next time, my hubby will definitely love this.

ABowlOfMush on March 25, 2010 at 6:57 AM said...

This is the cutest and prettiest poached egg I've ever seen!

I don't think I will ever make a poached egg any other way ever again :)

Love it!

Shirley @ Kokken69 on March 25, 2010 at 1:07 PM said...

Very pretty :). Although not the most traditional way to make poach eggs but hey, this is exactly what we need. The traditional, grandmother ways- are quite intimidating and not easy...

tigerfish on March 25, 2010 at 7:31 PM said...

I love poached egg and this is such a beautiful one!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on March 25, 2010 at 11:43 PM said...

Quinn, thanks for the tutorial! Like Gert, I just poach mine in boiling water. Will try experiment with different methods to poach eggs when time allows! Thank you!

Love,
Pei-Lin

Mark @ Cafe Campana on March 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM said...

Great way of poaching an egg. It takes an engineers mind to adapt a seemingly unrelated kitchen item for a new purpose.

noobcook on March 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM said...

your poached eggs look amazing! thanks for sharing the technique, I'm going to try it out once I get some silicon muffin cups :)

AhTee on March 27, 2010 at 2:17 AM said...

Wow, great idea to poach the egg in this way! thnx for sharing!

cariso on March 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM said...

Very informative, thanks for sharing your tips!

Swee San on March 28, 2010 at 3:02 AM said...

That's a great idea!! And I wondered how come the eggs have lines like that ...

nazarina on March 28, 2010 at 3:04 AM said...

OMG,]

My dear,this is brilliant. I have a guest at the B&B that dislikes poached eggs, now maybe if I follow your directions with this beauty, he might change his mind.Love it!

Christine on March 28, 2010 at 2:01 PM said...

Oh wow!!! It's just amazing how you poached the egg! Thanks very much for the tips. I will try this right now! You are so amazing!

Thanks!

Quinn on March 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM said...

Hey everyone....

Thank you so much for all the comments, had fun reading through each and every one of them. Who knows a simple poached egg tutorial would attract so many!

ABowlOfMush: Having tried this methid, I don't think I will ever poach egg any other way again too!

Shirley: As I've mentioned in my post, my way of poaching egg is what I figured out after having used an electric egg poacher over the years back home. I do sometimes like to do the traditional egg-in-water thingy but I don't always get the beautiful oblong mozzarella shape I want.

Mark: Couldn't agree with you better. Been to your site, nice and neat. Just how engineers are like!

Noobcook: Try it, silicone muffin cups works beautifully!

SweeSan: The lines comes from the muffin silicone cup. The poached egg takes on the shape of your mould beautifully if you spray it with oil and poach it for exactly 3 and a half minutes.

Nazarina: Gotta agree, I love food and think the yuckiest food will taste good if you present it to me well!

Christine: Wow! That's a powerful one. Thanks for thinking I'm amazing. Have you tried it already? Success?

edith on March 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM said...

Great idea of using the silicone cup. The egg is nicely done up. I am sure my kids will love it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez